Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
chinkemon said:
for those of you who interviewed here, how did you find out who your interviewer(s) is? thanks for the info. =)
like UCLAstudent said, OSU only lets you know minutes beforehand. at case, they'll tell you who your interviewer is in their invitation mailing.

sd
 
hmm, reading the CWRU/Lerner invites - not seeing any names of faculty members. i guess OSU is ok, since i'm familiar w/ some faculty there. maybe i'll get someone i know? wishful thinking... 😛
 
acidhouse303 said:
OHio ppl what do u think of MCO? (toledo) i just got in there today
any thoughts/feelings ?

You already got in? Lucky...congrats! I'm still waiting to hear, so I hope that doesn't mean its bad news...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fifth page?? damn!

how are my ohio peeps? just got acceptance to UC today, thus completing my sweep of ohio! 😀

this long process is almost over...
 
superdevil said:
...just got acceptance to UC today, thus completing my sweep of ohio! 😀
Congrats! I was really hoping for my first acceptance today, but my status page is unchanged and you interviewed the day *after* me. Och!
 
superdevil said:
fifth page?? damn!

how are my ohio peeps? just got acceptance to UC today, thus completing my sweep of ohio! 😀

this long process is almost over...

Just checked my status page on a whim and I'm in at Cincinnati! For reference, I interviewed there on 10/4, about 3 1/2 wks ago.

Felt good after getting waitlisted at Wright State. Haven't heard yet from MCO or MCV and don't really need to now, since Cincinnati was my first choice. Hope to see some of you there next August.
 
glc549 said:
Just checked my status page on a whim and I'm in at Cincinnati! For reference, I interviewed there on 10/4, about 3 1/2 wks ago.

Felt good after getting waitlisted at Wright State. Haven't heard yet from MCO or MCV and don't really need to now, since Cincinnati was my first choice. Hope to see some of you there next August.
congrats on getting in at your first choice!! i'll bet that feels great! 🙂

keep the faith, liverotcod; cinci seems to be really good about making quick decisions/informing the applicants, so i'm sure they'll be mailing your acceptance right away! 😉
 
Gratz to you both on Cincy! And awesome on the clean sweep 😉.

And I'm sure your acceptance is on the way liverotcod, you've gotten a ton of interviews at great schools.
 
glc549 said:
Just checked my status page on a whim and I'm in at Cincinnati! For reference, I interviewed there on 10/4, about 3 1/2 wks ago.

Felt good after getting waitlisted at Wright State. Haven't heard yet from MCO or MCV and don't really need to now, since Cincinnati was my first choice. Hope to see some of you there next August.


Cincy is my first choice too! Congrats!
 
anyone had robert haynie as your interviewer at CWRU? if so, how was the experience? i just found out i will have my interview with him. guy does not do research but is md/phd and associate dean for student affairs. thanks for the feedback!
 
glc549 said:
Just checked my status page on a whim and I'm in at Cincinnati! For reference, I interviewed there on 10/4, about 3 1/2 wks ago.

Felt good after getting waitlisted at Wright State. Haven't heard yet from MCO or MCV and don't really need to now, since Cincinnati was my first choice. Hope to see some of you there next August.

Congrats to all you lucky folks! Now don't forget to nicely decline at ALL your other schools so that the rest of us can get in quicker. 😀
 
chinkemon said:
anyone had robert haynie as your interviewer at CWRU? if so, how was the experience? i just found out i will have my interview with him. guy does not do research but is md/phd and associate dean for student affairs. thanks for the feedback!

Dr. haynie is really cool and funny. He's one of our four "society deans". You can ask him about the societies if you want something to chat about.
 
How long does it take for UC to send out admissions decision?

One week? two weeks?
 
Premedtomed said:
How long does it take for UC to send out admissions decision?

One week? two weeks?
i read about my acceptance on the status page 15 calender days after my interview (10/12--10/27).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TysonCook said:
If you are concerned about the KY status as being instate call the financial aid dept or email them. You'll want to speak with Dr. Daniel Burr, or his asst. Debbie Kaffenberger.

Call the admissions office and they'll transfer you or give you thier email. They are both super nice and would be able to give you the definitive answer.

If you run a search for UC you'll see my take on the school as well as others. I'd type more but I have finals this week. Good luck to you guys and I'll be excited to see everyone next fall if admitted.

thanks I had my interview there and let's see what happens.

ABout the fee purpose they haven't reached a final decision yet.
They have yet to renew their contract
 
i just got a call from UC (my LORs were lost first time around)...is the day fairly long at UC? they told me to get there by 11:00am and that my interview would be at 2:00pm... 🙂
 
chinkemon said:
i just got a call from UC (my LORs were lost first time around)...is the day fairly long at UC? they told me to get there by 11:00am and that my interview would be at 2:00pm... 🙂

No, the day is fairly short. At 11 they will serve lunch, give financial aid and curriculum presentations, and finally give a tour of the med school. If your interview is at 2, you should be outta there by 3.
 
that sounds good. i will be traveling from columbus (since i'll be home for an extended thanksgiving vacation). would you say the interview is relatively relaxed? i'll be interviewing at UC after all the other ohio schools save wright state and MCO. 😳
 
chinkemon said:
that sounds good. i will be traveling from columbus (since i'll be home for an extended thanksgiving vacation). would you say the interview is relatively relaxed? i'll be interviewing at UC after all the other ohio schools save wright state and MCO. 😳

It's relatively relaxed...but compared to Wright State and MCO interviews it is harder. They will ask you about bioethical/current events issues, problems with the current US med system, any grades below a B, why you want to come to Cincy, and, at least for me, wanted a detailed explanantion of "Why medicine?"

Overall, though, my interviewer was nice and really seemed interested about my life story and views. I personally felt I could have interviewed there a little better, but my interview lasted 1.5 hours, and I got accepted!

Good luck!
 
DocMizzle said:
It's relatively relaxed...but compared to Wright State and MCO interviews it is harder. They will ask you about bioethical/current events issues, problems with the current US med system, any grades below a B, why you want to come to Cincy, and, at least for me, wanted a detailed explanantion of "Why medicine?"

Overall, though, my interviewer was nice and really seemed interested about my life story and views. I personally felt I could have interviewed there a little better, but my interview lasted 1.5 hours, and I got accepted!

Good luck!

I had a similar experience. Don't know what I should be expecting 😕
 
superdevil said:
i read about my acceptance on the status page 15 calender days after my interview (10/12--10/27).

Thanks I feel less anxious now
 
I'm interviewing at OSU soon and was wondering how the experience is there. What is the schedule like? Interviewers? Thanks.
 
redrocks said:
I'm interviewing at OSU soon and was wondering how the experience is there. What is the schedule like? Interviewers? Thanks.

I had an AWESOME time at OSU. The day is very organized (lunch, financial aid session, tour, etc.), and the interview is in the afternoon, either at 1:45 or 2:30. My interviewer was very considerate and it was more conversational than anything. 👍
 
redrocks said:
I'm interviewing at OSU soon and was wondering how the experience is there. What is the schedule like? Interviewers? Thanks.


Redrocks, congratulations 🙂.when were you complete at OSU? I submitted my secondary on sep 15th, but no response until now. Probably, I should give up hopes 🙁 .



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just got a call from UC (my LORs were lost first time around)...is the day fairly long at UC? they told me to get there by 11:00am and that my interview would be at 2:00pm...

chinkemon, congratulations to you too 🙂 . can I ask you the same question? when were you complete at UC?
 
ravi said:
Redrocks, congratulations 🙂.when were you complete at OSU? I submitted my secondary on sep 15th, but no response until now. Probably, I should give up hopes 🙁 .



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just got a call from UC (my LORs were lost first time around)...is the day fairly long at UC? they told me to get there by 11:00am and that my interview would be at 2:00pm...

chinkemon, congratulations to you too 🙂 . can I ask you the same question? when were you complete at UC?


At UCs the actual interview will be around 1 or so. Before that its just hanging around with previous med school students and talking to them. I think they also eat snacks and stuff. its basically an orientation. A normal interview at a UC lasts for 45 mins - 1 hr. Go for the UCs they are nice... Let me know if you are going to be interviewed at UCSD. I know some doctors down there who interview med students. I can give you some hints..
good luck..
 
priyanka said:
At UCs the actual interview will be around 1 or so. Before that its just hanging around with previous med school students and talking to them. I think they also eat snacks and stuff. its basically an orientation. A normal interview at a UC lasts for 45 mins - 1 hr. Go for the UCs they are nice... Let me know if you are going to be interviewed at UCSD. I know some doctors down there who interview med students. I can give you some hints..
good luck..

sorry for the confusion! 😳 I was not invited for the interview, 🙁 I was just checking the application completion date( so that I can look forward for my invitation or give up hope). If I get an interview, I will definetly ask for your help 🙂 . and thank you very much for offering the help. 🙂
 
ravi - i was complete at Univ of Cinncinati on 9/15. how about you? i think it takes them a month or more to get back to you...

priyanka - sorry, i was not referring to the Univ of California but Univ of Cinncinati. 😉
 
chinkemon said:
ravi - i was complete at Univ of Cinncinati on 9/15. how about you? i think it takes them a month or more to get back to you...

priyanka - sorry, i was not referring to the Univ of California but Univ of Cinncinati. 😉

Chinkemon, I was complete at UC by oct 14th. So I guess I can still continue to hope. 🙂

Priyanka, I am sorry 😳 , I thought you were replying to my post. 😳
 
chinkemon said:
ravi - i was complete at Univ of Cinncinati on 9/15. how about you? i think it takes them a month or more to get back to you...

priyanka - sorry, i was not referring to the Univ of California but Univ of Cinncinati. 😉


oh damn, my bad sorry ravi and chinkemon, I kinda ignored the "ohio" title. :idea:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, ravi...you've only been complete for two weeks. are you ohio resident? g'luck w/ OSU. i have interview there on the 17th. did you apply to case or lerner college of med?
 
chinkemon said:
ravi - i was complete at Univ of Cinncinati on 9/15. how about you? i think it takes them a month or more to get back to you...

priyanka - sorry, i was not referring to the Univ of California but Univ of Cinncinati. 😉

Btw chinkemon, may I ask for your stats or you can PM me(if it is OK with you).
 
chinkemon said:
yeah, ravi...you've only been complete for two weeks. are you ohio resident? g'luck w/ OSU. i have interview there on the 17th. did you apply to case or lerner college of med?

Yes, I am a OHIO resident but some how Ohio schools are looking down on me 🙁 . I applied to all the schools in ohio, including DO. Are you out of state? congratulations for getting an interview at OSU. May be I can see you on 17th. 😀
 
ravi said:
Chinkemon, I was complete at UC by oct 14th. So I guess I can still continue to hope. 🙂

Priyanka, I am sorry 😳 , I thought you were replying to my post. 😳


oh yes i was and i thought you are refering to uni of california in san diego not uni of cinnati ...anyway confusion forget it! 😉
 
Woohoo! Got an interview at Ohio State Thursday. I'm out-of-state, a few hours to the south.

I'd definitely consider Ohio State knowing what I know at this point. Looking forward to interviewing and checking the place out.
 
ravi said:
Redrocks, congratulations 🙂.when were you complete at OSU? I submitted my secondary on sep 15th, but no response until now. Probably, I should give up hopes 🙁

I finished up back at the end of August. Don't worry about it, there are so many students applying they are probably loaded up for now. We all just have to hang in there I think. Good luck with OSU and your other schools! 🙂
 
freaker said:
Woohoo! Got an interview at Ohio State Thursday. I'm out-of-state, a few hours to the south.

I'd definitely consider Ohio State knowing what I know at this point. Looking forward to interviewing and checking the place out.

Good luck with the interview.
 
redrocks said:
I finished up back at the end of August. Don't worry about it, there are so many students applying they are probably loaded up for now. We all just have to hang in there I think. Good luck with OSU and your other schools! 🙂

Good luck redrocks!! 🙂 Give me all the details after your done with the interview!! 😀
 
ravi said:
Good luck redrocks!! 🙂 Give me all the details after your done with the interview!! 😀

Thanks, I'll keep you posted! 🙂

Congrats on your acceptance ambrosia! I can't wait until that day... Who knows, maybe next month!

Since all the applications are in and we are waiting...... waiting....... waiting for interviews and hopefully acceptances, think about applying for that financial aid (grants 👍 and loans 👎 )that we are all going to need. FAFSA's ready in January! At least it will give us something to do while waiting. 🙄
 
Jason110 said:
Congrats... :clap: :clap: :clap:

When did you interview there?

Jason

Thanks everybody 🙂

I interviewed on Oct. 4th and got my letter on the 29th. I've heard that people generally hear back within 2-3 weeks or so.
Good luck everyone and happy halloween +pity+
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ambrosia said:
Thanks everybody 🙂

I interviewed on Oct. 4th and got my letter on the 29th. I've heard that people generally hear back within 2-3 weeks or so.
Good luck everyone and happy halloween +pity+


Does anyone know OSU's cutoffs for a secon. and interviews? I've a 26Q (highest of 2 MCATs) and a GPA of 3.6. Also quite a bit of research. Thx.
 
morganlefay said:
Does anyone know OSU's cutoffs for a secon. and interviews? I've a 26Q (highest of 2 MCATs) and a GPA of 3.6. Also quite a bit of research. Thx.

I don't think OSU has a specific cutoff, but it'll be tough for you since you are out-of-state. Your research may help, but OSU is very numbers-oriented.
 
I have interviews at Case and the Cleveland Clinic coming up... anybody with experience regarding those interviews care to share?

* I couldn't find any "Cleveland Clinic" section in the interview feedback. Perhaps they can add it?

Jason
 
I just got into WSU...finally got some more Ohio luv....woo-hoo, this process is so stressful!
 
BeanieA said:
I just got into WSU...finally got some more Ohio luv....woo-hoo, this process is so stressful!
congrats BeanieA!!!! 👍 🙂