Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just wondering what the ohio school applicants thought of NEOUCOM. I've been hearing a lot of negative things about the school, mostly from other applicants. I guess maybe its because its more for BS/MD students as opposed to traditional applicants? Let me know what you think!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At OSU, they told us that students with working spouses could get an "instant" in-state status. To which I say, booyah. At Cincy, I specifically asked about residency status for students with working spouses and didn't get the same answer. Any thoughts? I suppose I need to talk to the UCincinnati financial aid office. It seems like it ought to be the same state-wide, don't you think?
 
megswinter82 said:
Just wondering what the ohio school applicants thought of NEOUCOM. I've been hearing a lot of negative things about the school, mostly from other applicants. I guess maybe its because its more for BS/MD students as opposed to traditional applicants? Let me know what you think!

Its not considered the best in Ohio, but at the end of the day, it grants you an MD degree 🙂

Students tend to be a little younger there - since they're BS/MD.
 
ImmunoRocks said:
Hey ravi and premedgeek,

How did cincy notify you guys for the interview? Email or through the status page? Haha I've been sitting here these last couple of months and the status page hasn't changed all that much.... just wondering if I should give them a call to see where I'm at? 😀

Thanks in advance!
ImmunoRocks

I found it on the status page too.
 
I emailed the admissions office at MCO and found out that my application will be reviewed next Tuesday with a decision letter going out the following day. There is quite a lag between my 10/25 interview date and the time when my application will be reviewed.
 
I just got the email to check my OSU status...and was accepted! It's my first so I am ecstatic, and their cool little animated acceptance was great! Best of luck :luck: to you all, and maybe we'll be classmates next year!
 
redrocks said:
I just got the email to check my OSU status...and was accepted! It's my first so I am ecstatic, and their cool little animated acceptance was great! Best of luck :luck: to you all, and maybe we'll be classmates next year!

Congrulation!!

Would you mind telling us when you interviewed? I interviewed on 11/15, and still waiting to hear from them.
 
premedgeek said:
Congrulation!!

Would you mind telling us when you interviewed? I interviewed on 11/15, and still waiting to hear from them.
Contrats, redrocks! I got my OSU acceptance today too 😎

I interviewed on the 10th, and was surprised that they beat their 2-week turnaroun by 2 days. Good luck, premedgeek - it'll probably be next week for you, but I guess you never know. :luck:
 
Has anyone definitely decided on taking a Cinci offer yet? I just got accepted last week and I will definitely be there next fall. I really had a good feeling about the school and the students I met there, so I'll be declining my other acceptances now. Just thought I'd say hello to any new future (or potential) classmates. Anyone from Wooster?

BerlinNeuro

🙂
 
Congrats to you too liverotocod! I think they just wanted to finish our week to get an early Thanksgiving. At least some of the stress is off, and it's nice to have an announcement for the family for the holiday.
 
liverotcod said:
Contrats, redrocks! I got my OSU acceptance today too 😎

I interviewed on the 10th, and was surprised that they beat their 2-week turnaroun by 2 days. Good luck, premedgeek - it'll probably be next week for you, but I guess you never know. :luck:


Add me to the list of OSU acceptees!!!!

I'm so excited, I don't know what to do.

With this, my quest for a medical school seat has come to an end. Thanks everyone for their support. And GO OHIO!!!!!!!
 
Just wondering...
How many out-of-state people have gotten into MCO, vs. being waitlisted? I'm out of state, and I'm waitlisted (interviewed on 10/14 and just heard today).
Karin
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CCLCM people - how soon after the interview did you hear back? it's hard to find info on this school b/c it's so new. i interviewed on the 15th this month...if wei28's reading: hey!! =)
 
kchan99 said:
Just wondering...
How many out-of-state people have gotten into MCO, vs. being waitlisted? I'm out of state, and I'm waitlisted (interviewed on 10/14 and just heard today).
Karin

I'm out of state - Michigan - but got accepted...interviewed 10/4, accepted sometime at the middle/end of Oct.
 
BerlinNeuro said:
Has anyone definitely decided on taking a Cinci offer yet? I just got accepted last week and I will definitely be there next fall. I really had a good feeling about the school and the students I met there, so I'll be declining my other acceptances now. Just thought I'd say hello to any new future (or potential) classmates. Anyone from Wooster?
🙂

Interviewed at UC today. Very nice people, nice school. I think I would be happy there.

I don't live IN Wooster, but I go to church in wooster.

Amy
 
chinkemon said:
CCLCM people - how soon after the interview did you hear back? it's hard to find info on this school b/c it's so new. i interviewed on the 15th this month...if wei28's reading: hey!! =)

I interviewed there on the 22nd. The committee meets again the Thursday after Thanksgiving (Dec. 2nd I think). [This is from the director of admissions]

Chinkemon, what are your impressions of the school?
 
kchan99 said:
Just wondering...
How many out-of-state people have gotten into MCO, vs. being waitlisted? I'm out of state, and I'm waitlisted (interviewed on 10/14 and just heard today).
Karin

Karin -

It won't give you stats for this year, but you can look at the stats from last year in the MSAR. Seems like the figures I've seen are that MCO typically has ~30-40 out of state students per class. About the same as for the rest of the state schools. Their website doesn't list number of out of state vs. in state matriculants, but it doesn't list that last year there were more than 2x as many out of state applicants as in state. Another interesting stat - the number of people offered acceptances has decline from 329 in 2002 to 301 in 2004. Class size has also decreased from 280 to 256 in that time period.

Good luck!
 
ambrosia said:
I'm out of state - Michigan - but got accepted...interviewed 10/4, accepted sometime at the middle/end of Oct.

Congrats! I guess they don't like my stats. My sci GPA is only 3.45. I did my undergrad work at Cornell and got a 3.23. At post bac, I had a 3.89, and that was with one semester in recovery from surgery.

I'm in California. If I don't get into any other school, I will be moving to Ohio in Jan or Feb of next year.
 
BerlinNeuro said:
Has anyone definitely decided on taking a Cinci offer yet? I just got accepted last week and I will definitely be there next fall. I really had a good feeling about the school and the students I met there, so I'll be declining my other acceptances now. Just thought I'd say hello to any new future (or potential) classmates. Anyone from Wooster?

BerlinNeuro

🙂

Hey miss you will see me next there fall 😀
I am from Northern KY
 
AmyBEMT said:
Karin -

It won't give you stats for this year, but you can look at the stats from last year in the MSAR. Seems like the figures I've seen are that MCO typically has ~30-40 out of state students per class. About the same as for the rest of the state schools. Their website doesn't list number of out of state vs. in state matriculants, but it doesn't list that last year there were more than 2x as many out of state applicants as in state. Another interesting stat - the number of people offered acceptances has decline from 329 in 2002 to 301 in 2004. Class size has also decreased from 280 to 256 in that time period.

Good luck!
Just so you know, the class is no where near the 200's. It's ~150, and that's only on the day of a test.

Trust me, I know personally.
 
AmyBEMT said:
Interviewed at UC today. Very nice people, nice school. I think I would be happy there.

I don't live IN Wooster, but I go to church in wooster.

Amy

Well, I technically am not living in Wooster at the moment as I'm at school now, but my parents go to Grace Brethren.

🙂
 
SaltySqueegee said:
Just so you know, the class is no where near the 200's. It's ~150, and that's only on the day of a test.

Trust me, I know personally.

My bad - I misread the data on the web site. The 200's numbers are the numbers accepted regular admission and the 300+ numbers are total number accepted. I don't know why I read the regular admission number as number matriculating. (http://www.mco.edu/smed/acceptances.html)

Amy
 
megswinter82 said:
Just wondering what the ohio school applicants thought of NEOUCOM. I've been hearing a lot of negative things about the school, mostly from other applicants. I guess maybe its because its more for BS/MD students as opposed to traditional applicants? Let me know what you think!

NEOUCOM is not highly regarded by residency directors; I've spoken with 3 of them, and they did not regard the institution very highly. According to them, many of the students have difficulty with the USMLEs (a higher proportion fail than the national average, and the school's averages are on the lower side). (FYI: they also said the same thing about Wright State graduates).

A lot of traditional (4+4) students are hesitant about attending NEOUCOM when the majority of the class is 2+ years younger. If you are a traditional applicant, you might feel awkward attending NEOUCOM. The teaching hospitals are good. Perhaps not on par with Case's, OSU's, or Cincy's, but by no means are they bad.

Finally, you won't know for a fact you are accepted until late (since many of the spots are only determined when they know how many of their BS/MD kids "decided" to take an extra-year).

I personally decided against applying to NEOUCOM for the reasons listed above. I felt I had a good chance of getting into another medical school.

Just my thoughts.

Jason
 
Jason110 said:
I personally decided against applying to NEOUCOM for the reasons listed above. I felt I had a good chance of getting into another medical school.
I applied because I have a 28yo friend there (I'm 29) who LOVES it and is doing his 3rd year at Youngstown hospitals, but I just pulled my app since I am in at MCO and Wright State (and osteo schools, which I actually liked better). If it were the only school I got into, I'd be there in a second. But Jason's right, my friend didn't hear until August that he was in and it was his only offer.

I'd definitely recommend taking an interview there if you get one. It's in-state tuition, the students I've met (even the really young ones) are cool, and they just redid their curriculum and it looks to be much improved (like max of 20 hours a week of lecture, none required).
 
uclabruin2003 said:
woo hoo i just heard from Dr. Hutzler! I got into CCLCM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait
Congratulations! Funny, we all hate the waiting game, but now it's another big wait until school. Best of luck at CCLCM.
 
uclabruin2003 said:
woo hoo i just heard from Dr. Hutzler! I got into CCLCM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait

A big congrats! :clap: I hope I see you there next fall.

Jason
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think moving is drastic or crazy? I'm seriously considering moving to Ohio and getting some kind of job there soon if I don't get into Univ of Cincinnati. I'm in California right now living with my parents, and I don't have a regular job.

I want to get residency status in Ohio sooner so that I would be reapplying as in-state.
 
kchan99 said:
Do you think moving is drastic or crazy? I'm seriously considering moving to Ohio and getting some kind of job there soon if I don't get into Univ of Cincinnati. I'm in California right now living with my parents, and I don't have a regular job.

I want to get residency status in Ohio sooner so that I would be reapplying as in-state.
Karin - you might have said earlier in the thread, but is there a special reason Ohio is special for you? Anyway, if you were to move this instant, you still probably would not be an in-state applicant for the next cycle, unless you sent your secondaries in really late - a year after your move, e.g.
 
liverotcod said:
Karin - you might have said earlier in the thread, but is there a special reason Ohio is special for you? Anyway, if you were to move this instant, you still probably would not be an in-state applicant for the next cycle, unless you sent your secondaries in really late - a year after your move, e.g.

No. I just want to get into an allopathic medical school any where in the country. This year, I interviewed at MCO and UC. I cannot get into a California school. I thought I would get counted as in-state as a conditional resident.
 
Jason110 said:
NEOUCOM is not highly regarded by residency directors; I've spoken with 3 of them, and they did not regard the institution very highly.

Agreed. My uncle was a residency director for several years, and he said that he didn't even consider NEOUCOM students for residency positions.
 
Is Ohio State very numbers focused? I have a 26 and 3.6 overall GPA, 3.4 science. I just finished my secondary and my LORs are already in. I really like their program, their unique curriculum pathways, and told them so in my secon. Their class profile is what scares me tho, with avg MCAT composite of 32. eeek I wonder if I have any chance at all...so any input would be nice.
 
hey ravi...so are you suggesting that a wsu decision will be in our mail around the second week of december...12/6-12/10? That would be a great start to the holidays(I hope). wsu is my first choice...location, people, friendly atmosphere and the fact that the faculty and staff were friendly... Good luck to you and I wish you luck in your other interviews as well.
 
lovely1 said:
hey ravi...so are you suggesting that a wsu decision will be in our mail around the second week of december...12/6-12/10? That would be a great start to the holidays(I hope). wsu is my first choice...location, people, friendly atmosphere and the fact that the faculty and staff were friendly... Good luck to you and I wish you luck in your other interviews as well.

That is what I understood. When did you interview? I interviewed on 9th.
 
lovely1 said:
hey ravi...so are you suggesting that a wsu decision will be in our mail around the second week of december...12/6-12/10? That would be a great start to the holidays(I hope). wsu is my first choice...location, people, friendly atmosphere and the fact that the faculty and staff were friendly... Good luck to you and I wish you luck in your other interviews as well.

I'm in at WSU, and I was also very impressed with everything there. I think its a terrific school - I just don't know why they are so low on the rankings. Also, even though they made it a point to stress that 45 per cent of their students go to non-primary care, its hard to shake the perception that this is *primarily* a primary care school 🙂

All the best , hope u make it.
 
ravi said:
That is what I understood. When did you interview? I interviewed on 9th.


the 10th...you think that this is still considered an "early" interview?
 
For those of you who say that NEOUCOM is not highly regarded by residency directors...do you know why? Is it because of the young age of students or curriculum? I am not exactly a "competitive" candidate this time around. Plus NEOUCOM seems to work out for personal reasons. I do not want to sacrifice oppurtunities in the future. Would you go to NEOUCOM if it was the only acceptace you recieved, despite its reputation? Or do you think pursuing a post-bac program such as Georgetown's SMP would be better? Any honest advice/opinions/resources would be greatly appreciated??!! 😀
 
lovely1 said:
the 10th...you think that this is still considered an "early" interview?

After joining the SDN I got the feeling that november interviews are not considered early. Coming to Wright state, I think they were still interviewing to fill the spots (not the waitlisting spots). Hopefully we will here good news. 🙂 That will make my holidays really really special. 🙂
 
TripleDegree said:
I'm in at WSU, and I was also very impressed with everything there. I think its a terrific school - I just don't know why they are so low on the rankings. Also, even though they made it a point to stress that 45 per cent of their students go to non-primary care, its hard to shake the perception that this is *primarily* a primary care school 🙂

All the best , hope u make it.

Thank you! It seems like a nice school to me too. The reason for their ranking must be because of lack of a university hospital. From the '2005 entering class' thread I see that you have multiple acceptences 😎 (am I right?). Did you choose the school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who interviewed at Case, how long did it take to hear from case?
 
megswinter82 said:
For those of you who say that NEOUCOM is not highly regarded by residency directors...do you know why? Is it because of the young age of students or curriculum? I am not exactly a "competitive" candidate this time around. Plus NEOUCOM seems to work out for personal reasons. I do not want to sacrifice oppurtunities in the future. Would you go to NEOUCOM if it was the only acceptace you recieved, despite its reputation? Or do you think pursuing a post-bac program such as Georgetown's SMP would be better? Any honest advice/opinions/resources would be greatly appreciated??!! 😀

Megs... honestly, in the end it really doesn't matter where you go to school as long as you 1. do well in your classes and 2. nail the boards. nobody can say that you don't deserve a residency spot if you can do both. it's possible that you could do well in the G-town program and get into a better school... that might have better faculty, more research funding, better location... etc. BUT it's also possible that you might not do so hot in the program and end up with nothing. my advice is that if NEOUCOM works for you and you are acdepted, you should go.
 
DocMizzle said:
Agreed. My uncle was a residency director for several years, and he said that he didn't even consider NEOUCOM students for residency positions.

I don't understand why... do students there generally have low board scores..

I've got my UC interview coming up... which I found out about on the status page. Any advice?
 
ravi said:
Thank you! It seems like a nice school to me too. The reason for their ranking must be because of lack of a university hospital. From the '2005 entering class' thread I see that you have multiple acceptences 😎 (am I right?). Did you choose the school?


I think I'm OSU bound... 😀

But, in a different time/place, I would have no hesitation in going to WSU for the reasons mentioned above.

Have you heard back from WSU? what other interviews have u got coming up?

All the best