Ohio State c/o 2027 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Try following this link Sign in to Outlook for email (link is external) and sign in using lastname.#@buckeyemail.osu.edu with the same password you use for buckeyelink

You have to use the @buckeyemail.osu.edu address for whatever reason
I pm'd you <3 thank you for all your help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who interviewed with tOSU still not hear back with an admissions decision? I thought we were supposed to hear by yesterday and I haven't received anything yet.

Has anyone filled out the fafsa yet? If so did yall just follow the link on the admitted student information page? also, is it better to wait until I know for sure what school I will be attending?

Has anyone filled out the fafsa yet? If so did yall just follow the link on the admitted student information page? also, is it better to wait until I know for sure what school I will be attending?
Fill it out and put all the schools you are thinking about. Won’t matter in the end that you put schools that you don’t go to. The priority deadline was feb 1, but still good to get it in at any time. Last year I put 4 or 5 schools down that I hadn’t even heard from yet to make sure I got it in.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone who interviewed with tOSU still not hear back with an admissions decision? I thought we were supposed to hear by yesterday and I haven't received anything yet.
hmm i'm not sure but i would probably email them at this point

Fill it out and put all the schools you are thinking about. Won’t matter in the end that you put schools that you don’t go to. The priority deadline was feb 1, but still good to get it in at any time. Last year I put 4 or 5 schools down that I hadn’t even heard from yet to make sure I got it in.
Might be a silly question but it’s been a while since I filled out fafsa but do you mind explaining the difference between the piriority deadline Vs applying now?

Any recommendations for a place with a yard?

Also I’m looking at “The Quarry” near cliff crossing?? Anyone have any info on that area?

Honestly, the best option for finding a house with a yard is “inheriting” a house from other vet students. These are usually posted in the vet student Facebook group when people are looking for roommates.

99.9% sure I'm going to accept my seat, just want to hear back from one more school next week first. How do I go about finding roommates? I could never live alone, especially in a new place!

What apartment complexes in various towns near campus are the best? (I don't know much about the area so please no street names or highway #s LOL) I've only ever lived in apartments but if there are other ways to go I'll take suggestions!

Anyone know if marble cliff commons are in a good area/close to campus? I won’t be able to fly out until accepted students day but I want to have an idea of where to go look! 🙂

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any thoughts on University Village? It seems like it’s meant more for undergrad students unfortunately so I’m thinking it could be kind of loud but apparently a 2 bed is only $600/tenant!

I'm 99.9% sure I'll be attending tOSU (so excited!!!!) and I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight on how the incoming class is "sorted into their houses" (cue McGonagall's voice). Their website doesn't have any info on how it's done. Is it random? Based off a personality test? Or assigned based on your application? I really like House Vulpes 🦊
Its random, or at least not based off of any personality thing. Honestly, we don't really ever do anything with the housing thing beyond orientation week. There's supposed to be a scoring system but no one really pays attention to it. You will get a personality 'test' thing to help set you up with a big (an upper-class student you can go to for guidance) but that won't happen for a while) but thats really the only thing of that nature.

Anyone know when they usually have a campus visit day? Curious for requesting off work purposes!

There are some dates. They are in a link in the interviewing email. Not sure if they are the exact dates or possible dates.

can any current students / previous students touch on financial aid opportunities at tOSU. This is my DREAM school but my in-state tuition is so tempting. I have seen someone say that tOSU gives a decent amount of scholarships however, I don't know what their definition of "decent" is, or if this is even true. Anybody with any information at all feel free to give insight! :)

can any current students / previous students touch on financial aid opportunities at tOSU. This is my DREAM school but my in-state tuition is so tempting. I have seen someone say that tOSU gives a decent amount of scholarships however, I don't know what their definition of "decent" is, or if this is even true. Anybody with any information at all feel free to give insight! :)
osu auto enrolls you into instate tuition after your first year

I know tOSU automatically gives in state tuition after the first year, but they do kill you with tuition the first year! As far as scholarships go, my interviewers said that the opportunities were pretty limited and to not rely on them :/

I got an in state acceptance, so I will be declining my seat! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist ❤️

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
As a OSU grad who truly loved her time in vet school…if you have a cheaper in-state option, go there. Vet school is four years, paying for it is the rest of your life. You’ll get a good education wherever you go. I got a single 10k scholarship when I was at OSU, which was great. But I still have 250k in student loans, so it’s a drop in the bucket.

Reactions: 4 users
As a OSU grad who truly loved her time in vet school…if you have a cheaper in-state option, go there. Vet school is four years, paying for it is the rest of your life. You’ll get a good education wherever you go. I got a single 10k scholarship when I was at OSU, which was great. But I still have 250k in student loans, so it’s a drop in the bucket.

This!! I couldn’t agree more!! As long as you go to an accredited school, you’re guaranteed a quality education. I would pick the cheapest option. If going to you’re instate saves you $$$ on tuition, that could equate to like 10 years of student debt payments

Every single vet i’ve talked to has told me to go where it’s cheapest. School is 4 years of your life, and then you have the huge task of paying for it for the rest of your career. An extra $40-50k may not SEEM like a huge deal, but that is a TON of money to pay off when you already have $250k in debt and make maybe $90k a year (obviously depends on your area and what type of vet you become, but yanno).
My mom put this in perspective for me when I was accepted to an OOS: $300k in loans at 6% interest rate is $18k a year in JUST INTEREST. That’s a very scary thought and took any temptation away to go to an OOS school.

Reactions: 3 users
Every single vet i’ve talked to has told me to go where it’s cheapest. School is 4 years of your life, and then you have the huge task of paying for it for the rest of your career. An extra $40-50k may not SEEM like a huge deal, but that is a TON of money to pay off when you already have $250k in debt and make maybe $90k a year (obviously depends on your area and what type of vet you become, but yanno).
My mom put this in perspective for me when I was accepted to an OOS: $300k in loans at 6% interest rate is $18k a year in JUST INTEREST. That’s a very scary thought and took any temptation away to go to an OOS school.

I will say that the idea what you’re not going to make money as a veterinarian isn’t completely accurate even though it’s the picture everyone paints. You can make pretty decent money as a vet but it’s completely dependent on what your goals are/what you want to do.

But no salary can justify not going to the cheapest school IMO.

Were you IS? Did you get the scholarship during your first year? And was it automatic or do you have to apply for it?

Were you IS? Did you get the scholarship during your first year? And was it automatic or do you have to apply for it?
I was OOS. It was during my second or third year and there’s a scholarship application every year

Ultimately the decisions is up to you. Everyone has the great advice of go to the cheapest because it makes the most sense. People aren’t paying for vet school out of pocket unless you’re very lucky. However if you truely believe that you’d not be happy or successful at your IS then consider going elsewhere. But if you think you’d be happy there, you should go to the IS.

Just a small side note: keep in mind that when you go to vet school, you are going to be surrounded by people who are just like you. I don’t know which school is your instate, but I highly doubt that you’d be miserable there vet school is such a close knit community and I have no doubts that you’ll find a great support system no matter where you go. With that being said, I stand by going to the cheapest school. You might be overlooking the cheaper tuition now, but I promise you in 5 years from now you’ll be happy when you’ve got 100k less (or whatever the difference is) of student debt than the rest of us who have to go OOS just for reference, the vet at my hospital went OOS for vet school and has to pay $70/day just for her interest alone, which equates to about $25,500 a year.

I'll be attending preview days on 24/25 :') just booked my hotel.

I live in the area so I’ll be commuting back and forth but I think I’ll be there the 24/25

anyone know where we can buy osu vet apparel?

anyone know where we can buy osu vet apparel?
Unfortunately we are woefully undersupplied on vet med apparel - almost all of it is sold by clubs in the fall/winter :-( But plenty of OSU apparel around everywhere, especially the Barnes & Noble on main campus!

Unfortunately we are woefully undersupplied on vet med apparel - almost all of it is sold by clubs in the fall/winter :-( But plenty of OSU apparel around everywhere, especially the Barnes & Noble on main campus!
Do you think there will be a sale at our visiting days? I really want a CVM shirt to take my graduation (undergrad lol) pics in

Do you think there will be a sale at our visiting days? I really want a CVM shirt to take my graduation (undergrad lol) pics in
Probably not unless things have changed. There will be a sale at orientation, which is typically the first opportunity to buy stuff.

Probably not unless things have changed. There will be a sale at orientation, which is typically the first opportunity to buy stuff.
Well dang. That really throws a wrench in my plans lol

An OH residents going to the visit day but not the dinner the night before? I will not be attending the dinner as I don’t want to pay for a hotel and take off work, so will just be driving down Saturday

An OH residents going to the visit day but not the dinner the night before? I will not be attending the dinner as I don’t want to pay for a hotel and take off work, so will just be driving down Saturday
This is going to be me as well. I live 1.5 hours from OSU right now and can’t imagine doing all the driving.

Just declined my seat as an OOS student! Good luck everyone 💕

For everyone that’s accepted their seat, does tOSU staff add you to the official FB page right away? I’m accepting my seat either tonight or tomorrow when I have time!

For everyone that’s accepted their seat, does tOSU staff add you to the official FB page right away? I’m accepting my seat either tonight or tomorrow when I have time!

No I think we’ll get a link emailed to us to the fb group, but I also know that someone always posts the group on the APVMA fb group just in case people can’t find the link in their email

The dean called me last night an around 8:00 pm Oklahoma time. OOS acceptances be expecting a call!! Unless I am the last one!!