Ohio State c/o 2027 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The dean called me last night an around 8:00 pm Oklahoma time. OOS acceptances be expecting a call!! Unless I am the last one!!

What was the call about?

Members don't see this ad.

Also got a call last night around 9pm cst! oos student here as well. I think he may just be calling students as a congrats!

Reactions: 2 users
Dean Moore tends to call students to gently, politely encourage students to accept or reject their seats sooner rather than later so they can move along the waitlist and finalize the class ;)

Also, just as an aside, a good friend of mine is subletting her beautiful apartment in Columbus this summer, if anyone wants to do a sublet & take their time finding an August start lease it would be ideal! Happy to connect you to her if you're interested!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dean Moore tends to call students to gently, politely encourage students to accept or reject their seats sooner rather than later so they can move along the waitlist and finalize the class ;)

Also, just as an aside, a good friend of mine is subletting her beautiful apartment in Columbus this summer, if anyone wants to do a sublet & take their time finding an August start lease it would be ideal! Happy to connect you to her if you're interested!
How early in the summer and what is the complex? ty ty

I'm 99.9% sure I'll be attending tOSU (so excited!!!!) and I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight on how the incoming class is "sorted into their houses" (cue McGonagall's voice). Their website doesn't have any info on how it's done. Is it random? Based off a personality test? Or assigned based on your application? I really like House Vulpes 🦊
Can you explain what you mean by houses? I’m big confused (may be because it’s 12:13am here but ya know)

Can you explain what you mean by houses? I’m big confused (may be because it’s 12:13am here but ya know)

I watched this video from last year and it has a section on it that shows the house selection. It seems like a team building activity.

Reactions: 1 user
GoodNotes or Notability?? Very torn between the two and I’m getting mixed opinions from other vet students
What I want:
-stay organized (separate notes by class, unit, system, etc)
-easy PDF/image uploading that allows me to upload diagrams/images that I can edit and out directly onto my notes
-be able to open my notes on multiple devices
-easy to make my own diagrams/charts and be able to copy/paste them onto multiple pages
-not run out of space on my devices/cloud (I’ve heard people use their OneDrive through their OSU email)
-easy to navigate/use

I thought about getting both and trying them out before classes start to see how I like them…I’m currently leaning more towards notability but I like some of GoodNotes’
Help!

GoodNotes or Notability?? Very torn between the two and I’m getting mixed opinions from other vet students
What I want:
-stay organized (separate notes by class, unit, system, etc)
-easy PDF/image uploading that allows me to upload diagrams/images that I can edit and out directly onto my notes
-be able to open my notes on multiple devices
-easy to make my own diagrams/charts and be able to copy/paste them onto multiple pages
-not run out of space on my devices/cloud (I’ve heard people use their OneDrive through their OSU email)
-easy to navigate/use

I thought about getting both and trying them out before classes start to see how I like them…I’m currently leaning more towards notability but I like some of GoodNotes’
Help!

I personally use notability. It has all the features you mentioned and it also has the ability to voice record lectures. And you can see what they were saying when you were writing.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure if this has been asked before. Does any one know if Ohio state offer discounted flea meds / check up and pet food to vet students?

This may be a silly question, but if we already have an OSU email from undergrad, do we have to create a new OSU email account? All of my correspondence from OSU’s CVM and Sandra Dawkins are currently coming to my OSU student email account, so I’m assuming I just keep on keeping on with my current email?

This may be a silly question, but if we already have an OSU email from undergrad, do we have to create a new OSU email account? All of my correspondence from OSU’s CVM and Sandra Dawkins are currently coming to my OSU student email account, so I’m assuming I just keep on keeping on with my current email?

Your email stays the same

Members don't see this ad :)

It should just carry over from undergrad! I didn’t have to change anything when I started grad school at OSU

I’m not sure if this has been asked before. Does any one know if Ohio state offer discounted flea meds / check up and pet food to vet students?
Pet food yes definitely (although it needs to be Hills/Purina/RC), flea meds not that I know of, and check-ups through the campus hospitals/clinics is discounted & you are allowed to carry a balance!

Pet food yes definitely (although it needs to be Hills/Purina/RC), flea meds not that I know of, and check-ups through the campus hospitals/clinics is discounted & you are allowed to carry a balance!
Thanks

i haven’t seen it? can anyone send it via link?
I think you only get it once you’ve paid your deposit and officially accepted your seat. it came with a survey too which was just general questions to get to know you/match you with a mentor
i requested to join the group last night and still have not been let in and there’s only 1 member so you’re not missing anything!

I've accepted my seat! Where are good places to start looking for roommates?

I'm accepting my seat and looking for roomies too! I'm 25F and I'd prefer to room with females and I'm pretty clean. I'm looking at places closer to campus (walkable/bikable), and I will be bringing a kitty with me. I don't drive or have a car, but I am def willing to help pay for gas and parking fees if we carpool together. If anyone's interested, please dm me and maybe we can look for a place together! :D

Last edited:
Is anyone who accepted their seat/planning to accept their seat going to the OSU preview day on either the 24/25th or 31/1st? I was trying understand if this is just an event to persuade you to accept or if there’s going to be a lot of valuable information for those of us who are already planning to attend OSU.

Is anyone who accepted their seat/planning to accept their seat going to the OSU preview day on either the 24/25th or 31/1st? I was trying understand if this is just an event to persuade you to accept or if there’s going to be a lot of valuable information for those of us who are already planning to attend OSU.

I’m familiar with the vet school but I’m still going to the second day (not the dinner) just in case there’s new info and I want to learn about the new curriculum.

I’m familiar with the vet school but I’m still going to the second day (not the dinner) just in case there’s new info and I want to learn about the new curriculum.
I'm going the 24th/25th to meet future classmates! There will also be info about financial aid and the cvm facilities. Plus you can ask questions during the current student panel and the alumni panel

Dean is calling people, so if you get a phone call don’t freak out

I’m also happy to talk through the curriculum with anyone that has specific questions!

can any present students suggest places to live off campus?

Anyone know when we are anticipating financial aid package distribution?

I’m going the 24/25, I’m hoping that this will help shine light on if this is the program for me or if the other one is.

For those who have received file reviews before, do you remember approx. how long it took for the admissions office to respond back to you?

For those who have received file reviews before, do you remember approx. how long it took for the admissions office to respond back to you?

A couple years ago it took only a couple days for Sandra to send mine. I think they give a date of when you could start requesting (can’t remember when it was).

Anyone have advice on looking for housing/roommates? I’ve had roommates all through undergrad but am a little worried about signing a lease with essentially strangers. Obviously can get to know them over social media and we all share a common interest and are motivated individuals but was hoping for some input from those who have gone through this before!

Anyone have advice on looking for housing/roommates? I’ve had roommates all through undergrad but am a little worried about signing a lease with essentially strangers. Obviously can get to know them over social media and we all share a common interest and are motivated individuals but was hoping for some input from those who have gone through this before!

When I first found my roommates I found it was best to find people with similar cleanliness, schedules, and interests. But definitely people with similar cleanliness, like if you are super clean, find other people that are super clean!

I know most people who I am close with here who got roommates met them at the accepted students dinner and made an effort to connect during that event. Otherwise, a lot of people were active in the fb group looking for housing and I'm sure the same will be true for your class. Treat it almost like online dating with a different set of priorities :rofl: Personally I wanted to give living alone a shot as I have not lived alone before and I really like it but you do miss out on a bit of socialization and the recourse of having another student around all the time.

My best advice would just be to put yourself out there a lot and come up with a list of what you're looking for in both a roommate and apartment/house. Think really hard about what is most important to you and what you as a roommate bring to the table as well!

Once the acceptance deadline passes there's often a lot of activity on the Facebook page - you can definitely get to know people on social media & then talk about your preferences. I did best with looking up a "roommate questionnaire" and going through it with my prospective roommate. There was also a Google Sheets document that went around when I was an incoming first year that listed preferences of people looking for roommates, I'll let the 2026 class president Mae know so she can create one!

Do any current students have any knowledge or thoughts on Heritage Apartments in Grandview?

I’m also looking at this place!
Fantastic location, and from the outside it looks good! Walking distance to my favorite crappy bar in the world and Kroger, absolutely bikeable (& walkable if you're fast) to campus. I'll see if anyone around has lived there!

Are there any OOS people here who are declining their seats? Just tryna see how much hope I should have of getting pulled from the alternate list *cries*

Are there any OOS people here who are declining their seats? Just tryna see how much hope I should have of getting pulled from the alternate list *cries*

I’m waiting until after the April 1 tour to make a decision, I feel like other OOS are probably going to do the same.

Random question/concern:

Columbus is ranked in the top 10 worst cities for human trafficking. Anyone else concerned about this? Any current students have any input on the concern?

Random question/concern:

Columbus is ranked in the top 10 worst cities for human trafficking. Anyone else concerned about this? Any current students have any input on the concern?
On a realistic daily basis, no concern. I think you need to be smart downtown & on football game days, but I haven’t experienced anything that’s ever made me (a very tiny white woman) feel unsafe. The biggest issue I’ve experienced has been theft - catalytic converters are being stolen a bunch, my car has been broken into (thankfully nothing major stolen), and my next door neighbor has seen a couple of burglaries with no assault or violence associated. There have been a couple of violent crimes on main campus including a shooting on a crowded football weekend, but we’re pretty secluded from that on the vetmed campus. I’m honestly the most concerned about police violence toward BIPOC students and residents - I don’t mean to make anyone feel unsafe, but there have been some major incidents of that downtown and I believe one or two on campus.

Reactions: 3 users
On a realistic daily basis, no concern. I think you need to be smart downtown & on football game days, but I haven’t experienced anything that’s ever made me (a very tiny white woman) feel unsafe. The biggest issue I’ve experienced has been theft - catalytic converters are being stolen a bunch, my car has been broken into (thankfully nothing major stolen), and my next door neighbor has seen a couple of burglaries with no assault or violence associated. There have been a couple of violent crimes on main campus including a shooting on a crowded football weekend, but we’re pretty secluded from that on the vetmed campus. I’m honestly the most concerned about police violence toward BIPOC students and residents - I don’t mean to make anyone feel unsafe, but there have been some major incidents of that downtown and I believe one or two on campus.
Thank you for your honesty and openness