OHIO STATE class of 2014!

Started by causticus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

i cancelled an interview today which was veryyy hard to do without a letter from ohio in front of me lol...i cant wait to have that letter in my hands!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't they give you financial aid information with your acceptance letter?

I feel ya th1rteen! I cancelled 4 of my interviews after I got my Ohio acceptance. Definitely felt a little iffy without my official letter.
 
Don't they give you financial aid information with your acceptance letter?

I didn't find out what financial aid I had been awarded until about June. Don't be expecting any large amounts of information (or any large envelopes) to come via snail mail. OSU does everything by email. Get that OSU email address set up as quickly as possible!
 
Did anyone receive their official letter/big envelope from OSU yet?

I got mine yesterday...also an email yesterday afternoon basically restating the acceptance and telling me to expect a letter.

Yay! 😀

They also tell you where/when to fill out your scholarship app (due mid-Feb), and where to go online to find all the new student info, including financial aid stuff.

Also if you are an OH resident, be sure to check your acceptance fee - it should be $25, but mine said $325 (the non-res fee) so I had to give them a call to have it changed.

Has anyone started a FB group yet...? 😎
 
I got mine yesterday...also an email yesterday afternoon basically restating the acceptance and telling me to expect a letter.

Yay! 😀

They also tell you where/when to fill out your scholarship app (due mid-Feb), and where to go online to find all the new student info, including financial aid stuff.

Also if you are an OH resident, be sure to check your acceptance fee - it should be $25, but mine said $325 (the non-res fee) so I had to give them a call to have it changed.

Has anyone started a FB group yet...? 😎

They sent you a letter telling you to expect a letter? :laugh:
 
I'm a bit confused..i'm still waiting on other schools and haven't decided whether or not I'm going to go to OSU. Do I still submit the scholarship app and set up an osu email? I won't know where I'm going until April...
 
I did even though I'm not 100% sure I'm going to Ohio. It's due by February 15th so I didn't want to miss the deadline.
 
I'm a bit confused..i'm still waiting on other schools and haven't decided whether or not I'm going to go to OSU. Do I still submit the scholarship app and set up an osu email? I won't know where I'm going until April...

i was wondering the same thing.. the scholarship app is really quite simple though so i guess i will just fill it out since i dont know where i am going yet? any thoughts on this?

though.. what would you put for this question: What is your last reported GPA in veterinary school?

also, im guessing this is a no but does anyone know when we will find out if we received scholarships before the April 15 deadline? i mean it would definitely influence my decision to go to OSU verses somewhere else hummm
 
I filled out the scholarship application even though Im not 100% if Ill be going there. I don't remember what I put for vet school GPA...I either left it blank or put N/A.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember getting my letter after I called them to see what the decision was and am glad I have something in paper I can look at if I ever doubt my acceptance! heheh I am so excited to start and to meet my fellow classmates!
 
Someone brought it to my attention that searching for "OSU CVM c/o 2014" won't get you to the Facebook group... That was my bad - sorry to anyone who has been having trouble finding it. It should be "OSU CVM class of 2014."

That is all. 🙂
 
Since I just got my acceptance call, and OSU is the only school I applied to, I think I will most definitely be attending. 😉

Just thought I would open up this thread so those of us who choose OSU can meet our fellow classmates!!! :soexcited:

Congrats! If I got to med school ohio state is the only med school I would probably apply too...🙂 CONGRATS! CONGRATS!
 
For current Ohio State students: Does the student body tend to be more of a family or more of the competitive side? My comparisons thus far are Kansas (HUGE family vibe) and UPenn (huge competitiveness between students vibe). Do students tend to band together to help each other, or is there a feeling of people always trying to...win? Do a lot of students make time to hang out and be with each other, or do they tend to isolate themselves more- I guess I mean is it a social campus or a less social. Just a couple questions to help with the decision making. Thanks!
 
Yea... Actually I was also wondering if there were any current OSU students who'd let me pick their brain....
I was wondering about classes, living options, job advice.. and I could go on and on... I sorta hope OSU would let me sit in on a class or two if I went back for a second look... but I'm sure that's a question for admissions. 🙂

I was so impressed with OSU and I'm pretty sure I'm going there, but I still have tons of questions! 😀
 
I am not a current vet student, but I have been doing similar research, and went to Columbus to look at living places. I was strongly advised by people familiar with Columbus to look for living places on the northwest side of Columbus - that is a nicer area of town, and safer.
Also, if you go to Ohio State's website and click on the incoming students tab, you will find several helpful things including a handbook written by students for students detailing EXACTLY what the classes are like, and how to study for them!! And other various questions.
 
For current Ohio State students: Does the student body tend to be more of a family or more of the competitive side? My comparisons thus far are Kansas (HUGE family vibe) and UPenn (huge competitiveness between students vibe). Do students tend to band together to help each other, or is there a feeling of people always trying to...win? Do a lot of students make time to hang out and be with each other, or do they tend to isolate themselves more- I guess I mean is it a social campus or a less social. Just a couple questions to help with the decision making. Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing! On my UPenn tour, the vet students said that it wasn't competitive, but I have heard from friends that it is. :shrug:
I suppose we should also keep in mind that it depends on the students enrolled that year. One class might be really competitive while another class is laid-back and family-like.
 
I know I'm not a student yet, but I've been working in the Teaching Hospital for the past year, and I definitely don't get competitive vibes from the students. OSU puts a lot of emphasis on the social aspect of vet school - lots of activities, talent shows and nights out and whatnot. Also, the faculty are very friendly and supportive, most of them are pretty easy-going; I can't see them encouraging any kind of competition between students. It seems like the school is trying to encourage a more social environment...whether it actually works out or not, I have no idea.


Anyway, this will be OUR class - who says we can't make what we want of it? 😎
 
I agree Causticus=)

Hopefully since I think that I read somewhere that the professors don't give only a certain number of As, Bs, Cs...etc...the competition will be relatively low. At my interview all of the current students really seemed to be friends with each other, and told us all about how they go out with each other on a weekly basis...I DEFINITELY think that is the type of class atmosphere we should strive for =)
 
Hey There,

So I think some schools may have more of a competitive or social vibe and I would put OSU into more of the social vibe as a current student. Don't get me wrong, we're all nerds, but we just don't get that competitive.

Now if all you do is study and go home, then yeah it won't be the that social. It is what you make of it!

I'm in the social fraternity OTS and I love it. I joined just so that I wouldn't have to take a position and could just have a good time. It is awesome and has been a lot of fun for me. Other people form groups in their class that study and then have fun together. Really whatever floats your boat.

I'm a current student and feel free to PM and pick my brain. I don't mind I swear. But don't be expecting quick responses from some other vet students cause second years have midterms next week and first years have two exams this week. So it's a little crazy right now.

But I agree that you can make your class how you want it to be. Our class had like three social events before school even started! Doesn't mean everyone attended but it was still awesome.

Ok, I've put off studying digestive enough for now. Send me a PM if you want to talk or ask more questions!
 
I got the call and letter of acceptance! but I gotta wait and see about my in state school yet before I decide...but congrats to everyone else!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I'm 99% sure I will be going to OSU this fall. I withdrew all other applications except for Wisconsin which I do not expect to get into since they take such a small amount of OOS students. However, on the off chance that I do have a decision to make, I was hoping to get some opinions from those of you that are definitely choosing OSU over another school. Why OSU?? Just wanted to see what is important to everyone 😀

Personally, I like the caseload and the variety of interesting cases and not tracking...
 
So, I'm 99% sure I will be going to OSU this fall. I withdrew all other applications except for Wisconsin which I do not expect to get into since they take such a small amount of OOS students. However, on the off chance that I do have a decision to make, I was hoping to get some opinions from those of you that are definitely choosing OSU over another school. Why OSU?? Just wanted to see what is important to everyone 😀

Personally, I like the caseload and the variety of interesting cases and not tracking...

I too would appreciate some insight. Some days I think "this is it, this is where I want to go" and some days I have doubt and think maybe I wont like it for x y and z reasons. Bah
 
Why OSU??

I think at first, it was mostly location - I have close friends in MI, KY, IN, and VA, so Ohio was kind of a nice central location where I could be within driving distance to all of them. I also have family in Canton, and it was important for me to be closer to home, since I had been living across the country from friends and family for the past 5 years. I have always LOVED Columbus. It is a great city - very clean and pleasent for a large city, lots to do and see (and I am definitely more of a city person). I also chose it because there was something for my husband here as well - he was looking at graduate programs, and we had it narrowed down to a few schools that had good programs for both of us.

Ranking and overall reputation may have had something to do with it, but it was a very small factor.

Residency was a big factor as well - last year I applied as OOS, and their policy that allows you to apply for IS tuition after the first year was HUGE. Then this year, I was IS, so it was kind of a no-brainer.

Last year after my interview, I had a lot more reasons to choose OSU - I absolutely fell in love with the atmosphere here. I don't know how to explain it other than to say I felt very comfortable here - the school just kind of "clicked" with me. Even more so after getting a job at the teaching hospital and getting to know more of the faculty in-depth. There are a lot of really spectacular people here. Student affairs is extremely helpful, prompt, and responsive. Even before I was a student or staff, several faculty actually went out of their way to help me.


So to summarize my reasons (in order):

1. Atmosphere/Faculty
2. Location
3. Tuition/Residency
4. Reputation/Rank
 
I absolutely fell in love with the atmosphere here. I don't know how to explain it other than to say I felt very comfortable here - the school just kind of "clicked" with me.

This is exactly what impressed me during my interview there. I'm OOS and the interview day was my first real exposure to the school... I was blown away by the atmosphere.
Actually since my interview I've been worried that maybe I romanticized the whole process a little and that's why I was so elated to be there... It's such a relief to hear that you had a similar experience which has stood the test of time. Thanks for sharing!
 
This is exactly what impressed me during my interview there. I'm OOS and the interview day was my first real exposure to the school... I was blown away by the atmosphere.
Actually since my interview I've been worried that maybe I romanticized the whole process a little and that's why I was so elated to be there... It's such a relief to hear that you had a similar experience which has stood the test of time. Thanks for sharing!

ME TOO! When I left I LOVED the place, but now I'm wondering if I didn't just love it because it was my first, or my memory is working well or something. Haha, its driving me nuts.
 
For current Ohio State students: Does the student body tend to be more of a family or more of the competitive side? My comparisons thus far are Kansas (HUGE family vibe) and UPenn (huge competitiveness between students vibe). Do students tend to band together to help each other, or is there a feeling of people always trying to...win? Do a lot of students make time to hang out and be with each other, or do they tend to isolate themselves more- I guess I mean is it a social campus or a less social.


They say each class has their own personality, but I think my class has been nothing but awesome! I haven't seen or heard of anyone who is really that competitive. Honest. I seem to get the "we're all in this together, so let's help each other" vibe from everyone. Granted, there are (now) 139 of us, but I feel very comfortable asking others (students/faculty) for help if I need it. People are always studying together after class, on weekends, in the lab.

We do hang out with lots of other vet students outside of class. I don't have another vet school experience to compare it too, but there are a good number of vet events for us to attend (talent show, restaurants/happy hours, parties, university sponsored things, etc&#8230😉. OSU as a whole, is huge, and so we get to reap the benefits of that as well: museums, film showings, sporting events, decreased cost for plays, musicals, most recently a free COSI night, etc.


Yea... Actually I was also wondering if there were any current OSU students who'd let me pick their brain....
I was wondering about classes, living options, job advice.. and I could go on and on... I sorta hope OSU would let me sit in on a class or two if I went back for a second look... but I'm sure that's a question for admissions
What would you like to know about classes/living options/job advice? If anyone has specific questions feel free to PM me. We had/have exam after exam so it might take me a bit to get back to you, but I will try to help!

Congrats everyone on their acceptances! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Bummer, the airport wireless ate my nice long post.... 🙁

So I have to agree with Rach that our class is pretty awesome. Some people put a lot of effort into their grades, but almost everyone is also willing to help you out with school or just in general. And with a class of 140 people, if there is a person or two you really don't get along with, its easy enough to avoid people. One thing I've found really nice is that it really seems like the school is looking out for our needs as students. Every thing has been fairly organized and hasn't left me worrying about things(outside of school work).

Living? Most people live off campus. I rent a house with 3 roommates and I have friends who live solo in apartments. Either works depending on your personality. I can deal with other people and I easily save $300-400 a month which does wonders for my budget. Downside is I have 3 roommates who share very different ideas on how clean a house should be kept. So I will be looking for a new place with other people next year(probably with a few 2014'ers).

Jobs can be a bit hard to come by if you want something veterinary related as there is lots of competition for them. Although taking the first semester off until you get settled in is probably advisable since it tends to be very different from undergrad. Work study is a decent option as they tend to be flexible buy the good jobs fill up fast. I'm actually starting a job off campus at an E-clinic on weekends because I needed something(more for my mental health than the $$$ because they dont pay well...)

For classes, most have course notes provided that are very comprehensive. So you really just need to show up and pay attention. Ideally you don't want to end up like sleeping through half your classes in the front of the room. 🙄
 
For classes, most have course notes provided that are very comprehensive. So you really just need to show up and pay attention. Ideally you don't want to end up like sleeping through half your classes in the front of the room. 🙄

Or in your cozy warm bed because 8am Immunology bites and your car is just too frozen. 😛

And I'm dittoing to what my classmates just posted. Nice to see we're diligently studying after todays exam....lol

The class atmosphere is for the most part great. I don't think people are really competitive or cut throat, at least not the ones I know. Yes some strive for the highest grades they can, it's in our nature to want to be the best but since professors don't grade on a bell curve or only give out a certain number of A's, we really help each other out. For example the day or two before an anatomy exam you're likely to see a large portion of your class working on their cadavers and walking around explaining things to each other. Even if it's someone you haven't even talked to yet, it seems like everyone is willing to help. They'll point you to a good specimen 2 tables over or walk over and talk you through something they've found. It's a large class but it doesn't feel impersonal at all.

My only real issue with OSU is that I'm from a warm, sunny beach and the cold and cloudy skies were a complete 180 for me. The school itself and the program on the other hand are making it worth it for me to suffer through single digit weather. (Seriously, single digits?? I keep thinking it has to be a typo).

I feel like I'm getting an incredible education and the experiences you can get through the wet labs are the best part. Tuesday night we got to learn how to do an axial flap repair on cadaver dogs through the surgery club. It was so awesome I've been in a good mood ever since then.

Also I think we really have some of the best professors and clinicians you could ask for. Not only are they brilliant but the majority of them are really, really good at explaining the material in ways you understand. They're also very approachable and happy to help you if you're struggling with any of it. And I've said some of our classes are like educational stand up comedy (radiology comes to mind). Some professors make their lectures so entertaining you actually want to come to class because it's fun to listen to them.
 
Reading what you guys have to say makes me even more excited to start school in September!! I cannot wait!
 
Thanks for all of the info! Definitely helped reassure me that I'm choosing the right school 🙂
 
ahhh, im like 85% sure im going to OSU this fall, so im starting to get SUPER excited...which reminds me...anyone looking for a 23 year old roomie (girl) from NY?
 
Ok, so looking at places to live- does anyone have any opinions on Upper Arlington vs. Olentangy River Road vs. Bethyl areas? Any current students want to share where they live so I know which areas are good/bad/pet friendly/not scary etc?

Also, to current students, how do you find roomies if you did not go to Ohio State undergrad?
 
I'm not a current student, but there is information about housing on the OSU website (Future students > Incoming class > Housing information).
They list the apartments that are most popular with OSU students, if they are pet friendly, their distance from OSU, and their website/phone number. There is also a section called Roommates Wanted but it looks like there is only one posting. I love how OSU is so organized!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not a current student, but there is information about housing on the OSU website (Future students > Incoming class > Housing information).
They list the apartments that are most popular with OSU students, if they are pet friendly, their distance from OSU, and their website/phone number. There is also a section called Roommates Wanted but it looks like there is only one posting. I love how OSU is so organized!

Thanks! Do you know if this is just for CVM or Ohio state in general. I know a bunch of people I met there on interview day said they tried to live away from undergrads (for obvious reasons)

Edit: Oops, clicked on the wrong part of the website. I'm an idiot. It's just for CVM students. Hollerrrr haha
 
Last edited:
Thanks! Do you know if this is just for CVM or Ohio state in general. I know a bunch of people I met there on interview day said they tried to live away from undergrads (for obvious reasons)

That site isnt limited to vet students.

I'm partial to the Upper Arlington/Bethel Road areas as they tend to be decent areas.

I seem to remember last year it was late spring into summer we started getting emails from lots of upperclassmen looking for roommates.
 
I know everyone likes to be close to campus, but if you are willing to look slightly farther away, you can find some great places WAY cheaper than those that are closer to campus.

Grove City is a suburb I would highly highly recommend - it is (at least) as nice as some of the ritzier suburbs, but has a much cheaper cost of living. People tend to overlook it because the school district down here is 👎, but if that isn't something you are worried about, I would definitely recommend it. Low crime, very nice area, not too horribly far away from campus.

I have been living there with my husband for the past year - it takes me about 15-30 mins to get to the vet school, depending on traffic. When we rented, we were able to find a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 2-story (+ basement) townhome right off of 270 for less than $600/month (pet friendly!).
 
Last edited:
I would try to stay out of the south-eastish area, south of 70 between 670 and Reynoldsburg. :scared:
 
Im a senior at OSU for undergrad and I've lived right off campus for the past 3 years (east of high street, where all the food places/bars are). Although I loved it as an undergrad, I chose to move towards the west side of campus near the medical center next year. Its on neil and king, and that whole area is heavily populated by both grad and professional students. It's just nicer and quieter, especially during football season. The place I just signed for is 450/month with utilities, parking, etc. Plus you are a two minute drive away from the vet school. So, if you do want to live close to campus it is very possible.

The key is to not wait until the spring. Once all our professional and grad programs send out acceptances it gets increasingly more difficult to find nice, affordable places to live. If anyone has any other questions just pm me! It nice having lived here for 4 years (and 4 more!).