Ohio State interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
good luck smashley, you'll do fantastic!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Smashley, I'm interviewing tomorrow too - maybe we can freak out together! :oops: Are you in the AM or PM?

Smashley, I'm interviewing tomorrow too - maybe we can freak out together! :oops: Are you in the AM or PM?

Good luck smashley and turnbackhelly! I'm sure you'll both do awesome!

P.S. I almost had a heart attack when I got home today... I opened my mailbox and there's this teeny tiny flimsy envelope from OSU :eek:. I was totally :scared: thinking, oh gawd was that like totally a huge practical joke that they would tell me that i was accepted, only to send me a rejection the next week!?!? I ripped it open the second I got inside... and it was a holiday card from April, the Director of Recruitment! phew... they really should just send it in a giant envelope padded with a bunch of blank paper or something so that i don't start some tragic theatrical performance in the middle of the neighborhood.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck smashley and turnbackhelly! I'm sure you'll both do awesome!

P.S. I almost had a heart attack when I got home today... I opened my mailbox and there's this teeny tiny flimsy envelope from OSU :eek:. I was totally :scared: thinking, oh gawd was that like totally a huge practical joke that they would tell me that i was accepted, only to send me a rejection the next week!?!? I ripped it open the second I got inside... and it was a holiday card from April, the Director of Recruitment! phew... they really should just send it in a giant envelope padded with a bunch of blank paper or something so that i don't start some tragic theatrical performance in the middle of the neighborhood.

That's pretty funny. Just to save you from future freakouts, I never got a "big envelope" from OSU, so don't be expecting one. Don't worry - you really were accepted! Congrats!

Smashley! You are going to do great!

Good luck, be confident, you will be awesome! :luck:

So, as if I'm not already stressed out enough about my interview tomorrow, I just went to check in online for my flight home to Philadelphia (tomorrow night) and it's already canceled. I sort of expected that this would happen but I've been awake since 4am today, and now instead of being in bed like I had hoped I would be, I'm sitting on hold with the airline rebooking hotline (why can't I do this online?! for real, people!!) waitttting to rebook my flight.

On the upside, my interview is no longer my biggest worry. Silver lining?

Just needed to vent as I sit on hold here in my hotel room alone, going on 22 minutes so far. :mad:

Last edited:
So, as if I'm not already stressed out enough about my interview tomorrow, I just went to check in online for my flight home to Philadelphia (tomorrow night) and it's already canceled. I sort of expected that this would happen but I've been awake since 4am today, and now instead of being in bed like I had hoped I would be, I'm sitting on hold with the airline rebooking hotline (why can't I do this online?! for real people!!) waitttting to rebook my flight.

On the upside, my interview is no longer my biggest worry. Silver lining?

Just needed to vent as I sit on hold here in my hotel room alone, going on 22 minutes so far. :mad:

At least it is on your way home! I was delayed for 8 hours for my first flight and 1 hour for my second flight on my way there! Thankfully I was supposed to get there the afternoon before. But you are right...totally takes your mind off the interview!

Good luck sorting everything out and on your interview!

Thank you everyone! Turnbackhelly, I am in the PM tomorrow. First one after lunch. Last year, I had to wait around until 4 to interivew, which was killer. I hope to see you there! Good luck!!!!!!

Hey everyone. Just wanted to chime in about my interview. I was interviewed by a third year student and a member of the faculty. Both were really nice and made me feel relaxed. I felt like with the interview, I had more of a conversation than a straight question then answer type interview. At the end of the interview while I was waiting for my ride, the faculty interviewer came over and told me that he thought I did a great job and that he would recommend me for admissions. I know to only take this with a grain of salt, but it made me happy and more confident all the same.

Hopefully, my points add up to my advantage this year. Hope everyone else had positive experiences!

Congrats!! I felt like my interviewers grilled me!! Question after question hoping that i'd mess up somehow. They liked to ask me questions in such a weird way that I had no idea what they were trying to ask. I didn't feel so hot after mine :(

i feel the same way luplodw :(. here is to hoping that i can get in on the other merits of my application

Glad to hear your interview went well, Smashley! I was also extremely pleased with how mine went. It was very relaxed and I feel like I had a somewhat eloquent answer for everything. They really didn't ask me about any current events as I had been expecting they would. They asked about the other schools I applied to, and one of my interviewers said something along the lines of "So, if we were to call you for Christmas, say... what factors would go into your decision in deciding between the OSU and other schools you've applied to." Trying hard not to read into that, but got a good feeling nonetheless. :)

Getting home, on the other hand - not feeling so good about that... stranded in an airport hotel with no car until Monday! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
They really didn't ask me about any current events as I had been expecting they would.

well i THOUGHT i was fairly up to date with current events but they threw a question at me about the new bill proposed in the senate to help rural vets and those interested in food research.. i was thinking um have NO idea what you are talking about and they had to explain it to me.. damn :confused::scared:

Heres the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov09/091101e.asp

Well I had a moment of panic. They asked me some weird question about public health that I had no idea what they meant and I just sat staring at them repeating the question over and over in my head. Then I couldn't think at all...I just kept thinking "Oh my god they are staring at me". Finally I said I was confused by the question and the woman rephrased it and it was ok hah

I bet they'll send out all the notifications before christmas. They said they would in the next 2 weeks, but I doubt they'll want to wait until after xmas

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Now the rest of us get to hope and pray!! :xf:

Sorry I keep posting so much...just a question... They said they made decisions based on a bell curve. Someone on here said that they accept 1/6 OOS applicants that were interviewed. Does that mean 1/6 are rejected and 4/6 are alternates? I was told that usually they end up accepting all of the alternates...so does that mean 5/6 people will get in?

This is the way I understood the presentation today: once they establish the bell curve, the right tail (high end) is accepted and the left tail (low end) is rejected. The middle become alternates and they usually take about 40 people from the OOS wait list (100% of the number of total OOS seats, but not necessarily 100% of the waitlist depending on how long it is). I'm not sure if I remember how many OOS alternates total they typically have, though...

well i THOUGHT i was fairly up to date with current events but they threw a question at me about the new bill proposed in the senate to help rural vets and those interested in food research.. i was thinking um have NO idea what you are talking about and they had to explain it to me.. damn :confused::scared:

Heres the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov09/091101e.asp

I'm also pretty much SA exclusive with a touch of equine possible, so not many hot current events lend themselves well to my particular interests (lucky for me!). I was asked my opinion on the use of animals in research and teaching, but I'm not really sure if you could consider that a current event. Also, I'm slightly non-traditional, so a LOT of my interview was spent talking about my transition to vet med with not so much time left over for things like current events that don't directly relate to my interests.

I don't think they will have notifications out by christmas. I think maybe by the second week of Jan. They have a lot of people to consider, and taking only 4 or so days...I think its unrealistic. But heres hoping!

Wait, if they took 40 ppl off the OOS waitlist, that would mean no one accepted would take the offer. I can't imagined no-one initially offered a spot takes it.

They said they usually go through almost the entire OOS waitlist.

Wait, if they took 40 ppl off the OOS waitlist, that would mean no one accepted would take the offer. I can't imagined no-one initially offered a spot takes it.

Um. Yeah. Not everyone who is offered a spot off the waitlist accepts it. Therefore, they go far down the waitlist.

Ok, so they don't take 40 ppl off the waitlist, they just normally move down the waitlist 40 spots. that makes sense

Yeah the lady told us that last year they went through the waitlist 100%

Hey There,

Just wanted to say congrats to all of you who finished interviews at OSU this week! I popped in there on Friday and saw yet another great group of students. I also noticed that they didn't have a second year or higher to talk to you during the student panel. So if you have any questions feel free to ask them or just PM me.

I'd be happy to answer, and if anyone who recently interviewed has questions on how to gain residency, feel free to ask. I got my residency from Jersey and it worked out great for me. I really want to help make sure people get it.

And congratulations!

Hey There,

Just wanted to say congrats to all of you who finished interviews at OSU this week! I popped in there on Friday and saw yet another great group of students. I also noticed that they didn't have a second year or higher to talk to you during the student panel. So if you have any questions feel free to ask them or just PM me.

I'd be happy to answer, and if anyone who recently interviewed has questions on how to gain residency, feel free to ask. I got my residency from Jersey and it worked out great for me. I really want to help make sure people get it.

And congratulations!

I DEF have a question- I heard during the informational that you can't get money from outside sources? Does that mean that my parents can't deposit money in my account for bills or anything? That would make my life more difficult...

Hey There,

Yeah you definetely can't be having your parents paying your bills.

That said, if you are taking the full amount out, then you should be able to pay your bills on your own. Possibly you are paying too much for certain items? If you don't want to discuss your personals on an open forum, feel free to PM me.

Just to clarify for everyone, basically they just don't want your parents to take out a $20,000 loan from Mass, and then give you the money. That would be a no-no.

But, getting $100 from Christmas would still be fine. They want to make sure that you are truly a resident of Ohio and self-sufficient.

Let me know more questions!

Mmm can they pay the interest then? It's my understanding that the Subsidized loan has no interest until you graduate (hence 'subsidized') but the Unsubsidized, which make up the majority of your loan amounts, accrue interest which needs to be paid off even while you're in school, so how do you do this? With more loans? Wouldn't that just be a vicious cycle? Or do you make money in the summer to pay off interest accumulated in the year?

Mmm can they pay the interest then? It's my understanding that the Subsidized loan has no interest until you graduate (hence 'subsidized') but the Unsubsidized, which make up the majority of your loan amounts, accrue interest which needs to be paid off even while you're in school, so how do you do this? With more loans? Wouldn't that just be a vicious cycle? Or do you make money in the summer to pay off interest accumulated in the year?

The interest is deferred with the rest of the loans while you are in school.

I haven't gone through the admissions process but its supposed to be very straight forward. You show them all of your expenses for the year. You then show them your sources of funding that covered those expenses(student loans, work, eligible savings). And they may want to see copies of bank statements to prove that you didn't have other sources of funding.

So if you fill out the paperwork saying you spent $800 on car insurance, and that $800 isn't missing from your bank account because mom and dad paid for it, you could be screwed.

So if you want loans from the state, your parents can't pay for ANYTHING of yours? I mean my car is currently in their name, so could they find out about that and revoke my loans?

Hey There,

That said, if you are taking the full amount out, then you should be able to pay your bills on your own. Possibly you are paying too much for certain items? If you don't want to discuss your personals on an open forum, feel free to PM me.

Just to clarify for everyone, basically they just don't want your parents to take out a $20,000 loan from Mass, and then give you the money. That would be a no-no.

But, getting $100 from Christmas would still be fine. They want to make sure that you are truly a resident of Ohio and self-sufficient.

Let me know more questions!

Yeah...I'll PM you.

Hey There,

So I'll come back in a few and give a more detailed write up but just wanted to say that if you have a car and its' in your parent's name, then just leave it there. You can have USE of a car, and that's ok, you just have to account for gas money.

If you have a car and its in YOUR name, then it must be titled in Ohio.

The interest on the loans isn't that much and can be deferred or you can pay for it if you would like. I personally pay for it with what I make over the summer.

I'll come back in a little while and try to post everything that I needed to have for my residency application if you guys think that would help.

Also, lalzi22 sent you a PM back.

I'll come back in a little while and try to post everything that I needed to have for my residency application if you guys think that would help.

That would be freaking awesome.

Hey There,

So I am just going to list as many things as I can recall, that I had to have for my residency.

Disclaimer: I may not remember everything so this is NOT a complete list. Also there are other ways to get residency then in this manner, so this is for students who do not have family members in Ohio, do not have a spouse, are not in the military,etc...

Copy of Ohio Driver's License
Copy of Ohio Title (if car is owned by student)
Copy of Ohio Voter's Registration Card
Copy of Selective Service Card (guys only, not for women)
Copy of Ohio Lease (signed and dated)
Copy of Final Loan Package from Veterinary School
Copy of W-2 showing proof of employment and wages in Ohio
Copy of Bank Statement showing balance from start of period
Copy of Bank Statement showing balance at end of period

And I think that's it. If I remember anything more, I'll just edit this post.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Well, I'm STILL trying to get home after my interview on Saturday (currently in the airport in my connecting city), but I just wanted to let you all know that I got a call from admissions this morning offering me a seat in the class of 2014!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Good luck to everyone still waiting - for many it will be worth the wait!!

congratulations turnbackhelly!!!

Well, I'm STILL trying to get home after my interview on Saturday (currently in the airport in my connecting city), but I just wanted to let you all know that I got a call from admissions this morning offering me a seat in the class of 2014!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Good luck to everyone still waiting - for many it will be worth the wait!!

woooooohooooooo! congrats! good luck getting home.

Yay, turnbackhelly!!!!!!! So glad to hear that someone from our interview day got in!!!!!! Ihope you get home safely!!!!!!

thanks everyone!! i really appreciate it. :love:

at this point i don't care when i get home - i could spend christmas in the atlanta airport for all i care, i've already gotten the best present ever!!

i'm rooting for the rest of you guys! :luck:

AHH great job!! that is SO exciting, you could probably care less about the waiting now :D:)

that means they are calling at least some people today.. the wait is KILLING me even if it is a no :eek:

Grats! I'm still holding out hope that they'll be calling me. I doubt I fall into the 'callable' category though with my stats. Mayhaps after they meet and go over applications I'll fall into the more 'formal' acceptance category. Either is fine with me :D

that means they are calling at least some people today.. the wait is KILLING me even if it is a no :eek:
My thoughts exactly. Soon as I saw she got a call I went "wait, TODAY?" and went to check my cell phone for a missed call.

also.. is it really sad that i just stared at my phone for like 10 minutes wishing/waiting/hoping it would ring.. i think i am going crazy. :p

So I counted....last year out of the 27 people that said they interviewed (from SDN), 16 of them got accepted. This year they interviewed less people so hopefully that 59.25% acceptance rate will go up!

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if there are going to be any more rounds of interviews/invites? I doesn't seem like any other SDNers heard anything since the initial wave back in mid November for mid December interviews.

Thanks.

Congrats to all of you who interviewed over the past weekend, especially to those that already received an acceptance. :thumbup: