Ohio State interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On a slightly different note..

I have two really nice leather purses. One is kelly green and one is dark teal. Do you think those colors are too crazy to take to the interview?

i personally think either is fine (as long at it kinda matches your suit of course!)

the stance im taking on accessories and nailpolish coloring is yes they want you to be conservative and such but i mean you shouldn't TOTALLY change yourself for them.. be yourself and if that means dawning your favorite kelly green purse i think it will be a-ok :)

Members don't see this ad.

I agree about not checking anything. It's better to have everything on you in case of them A. losing your bag or B. flight delays and you need to get going in a hurry

Well I was worried about that but also wouldn't a carry on bag big enough for a suit be a bit....unwieldy for such a small area? I know there's areas to stow over head but usually those are small as well.

Just put it in a garment bag. It will keep everything unwrinkled and they usually have a small storage space with a hangar bar in the front of the plane. If not you can always lay it flat across the top of your other bag.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a slightly different note..

I have two really nice leather purses. One is kelly green and one is dark teal. Do you think those colors are too crazy to take to the interview?

I wore my (FAVORITE) canary yellow leather purse to my interview. Obviously it wasn't garish enough to keep me out of the school! Anyone who is friends with me @ OSU can attest to the fact that it's pretty much the only purse I use. Why should I have changed that just for my interview? :)

Wear what you want!

Hey Guys,

I've flown a lot since 2001 and I'd encourage you to do the whole carry on thing. Lines are long, and you don't want to lose things.

I'd encourage you to do the whole garment bag thing as well. I did one carryon (laptop inside) and my garment bag and most people accept that as your two bags.

Most airline attendants are pretty good about finding you a hanging spot, especially if you tell them its a nice suit. If you have to you can always lay it flat in a bin as well.

And, unless you are flying first class I don't think most airliners have power outlets, though I think Northwest? does have some plugs every other seat that are real power outlets. That said, follow Bantams advice and print it out. Better safe than sorry.

Personally, I'd be early for the interview. Wouldn't you hate for them to be done early and calling your name and you're not there??

My motto with interviews: Be Prepared. Boy Scout Motto but it works!

Good luck everyone! I'll be there tomorrow!

Hehehe, thanks guys! Kelly green it is!!

did they ask you about H1N1 and proposition 2 and stuff? or was it totally random like the name 5 species of cow questions?

hopefully you will hear back from them really soon :D

You are on the money, no weird cow species questions

I wore my (FAVORITE) canary yellow leather purse to my interview. Obviously it wasn't garish enough to keep me out of the school! Anyone who is friends with me @ OSU can attest to the fact that it's pretty much the only purse I use. Why should I have changed that just for my interview? :)

Wear what you want!

Actually I really like your purse :D

You are on the money, no weird cow species questions
Bruinvetman, your interview sounds pretty similar to mine. Maybe we had the same interviewers? Sure enough, I was asked about cows and livestock in general (I only have small animal experience so this was me :help:).

My interview had a lot of questions about my experiences. Tell me about the most interesting case you saw? What was the diagnoses, treatment, and outcome? What did you do on a typical farm call? What did you do in a typical exam? All VERY nervewracking since I hadn't thought about those questions at all. I kind of feel like it wasn't so hot but I guess only time will tell!

Good luck to all of those who have yet to hear/interivew!

For those of you who have already interviewed...

I'm planning on bringing a small suitcase and computer bag as luggage. I think I saw on this thread that someone (minnerbelle I believe) was able to leave luggage in the admissions office. Is this true???

If so who do I talk to when I get there? I don't want to look weird. I can leave it at the desk at the hotel but it would be much more convenient to bring it with me and go straight to the airport after the tour.

Any thoughts????

I'm planning on bringing a small suitcase and computer bag as luggage. I think I saw on this thread that someone (minnerbelle I believe) was able to leave luggage in the admissions office. Is this true???

If so who do I talk to when I get there? I don't want to look weird. I can leave it at the desk at the hotel but it would be much more convenient to bring it with me and go straight to the airport after the tour.

Any thoughts????

They have a registration table you will check in at. Just ask them as you are registering if you can store your stuff somewhere and they will take care of you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any thoughts????

Yep it's true, but be warned... it does look really weird . haha, i was feeling soooooo self conscious when i arrived with my suitcase rolling down (making that loud rolly noise in a very quiet hall) with EVERYONE staring at me. i might as well have come in with my own theme song... i mean gosh, why was everyone there so early!? I got there half an hour early and i feel like i was one of the last people to get there.

i was feeling sooo embarrassed that when i got to the registration table and the person there took my luggage, i went to go sit down with all the other interviewees and failed to notice the sign on the table that said "please go into the admissions office to sign in"

i noticed that sign during the tour... and i was like "holy ****es, i never signed in!!!!" so at the end of the tour, i had to sheepishly ask the student rep to take me to someone to confirm... like that wasn't mortifying either!

well i guess in the end all of that humiliation was worth it, because it's ONLY because i had to go retrieve my luggage that i was offered a seat on the spot!

well i guess in the end all of that humiliation was worth it, because it's ONLY because i had to go retrieve my luggage that i was offered a seat on the spot!

CONGRATS!!!!:D:D:D That must have been the best luggage pick up ever!:D

Yep it's true, but be warned... it does look really weird . haha, i was feeling soooooo self conscious when i arrived with my suitcase rolling down (making that loud rolly noise in a very quiet hall) with EVERYONE staring at me. i might as well have come in with my own theme song... i mean gosh, why was everyone there so early!? I got there half an hour early and i feel like i was one of the last people to get there.

i was feeling sooo embarrassed that when i got to the registration table and the person there took my luggage, i went to go sit down with all the other interviewees and failed to notice the sign on the table that said "please go into the admissions office to sign in"

i noticed that sign during the tour... and i was like "holy ****es, i never signed in!!!!" so at the end of the tour, i had to sheepishly ask the student rep to take me to someone to confirm... like that wasn't mortifying either!

Oh man! That's tough lol. I'm probably going to feel the same way. I'm going to do it though on the off chance that I get offered a spot when I retreive my luggage too :)

haha I was going to say now that they've acceptance someone at a luggage-pick-up, I think a couple more of us might be willing to bring our luggage along!

Hate to be the bearer of somewhat bad news, but for all those holding out hoping that OSU will be offering more interviews (as I was...)- I just spoke to someone in admissions today. They said that those not offered interviews already will be receiving their letters toward the end of January and will be able to schedule for exit interviews at that time.

*sigh*

For people who interviewed already- What address did you tell your cab driver, and did any of you have any trouble with the cab finding the correct building?

For people who interviewed already- What address did you tell your cab driver, and did any of you have any trouble with the cab finding the correct building?

1900 Coffey Road will put you right in front of the entrance to the Veterinary Medicine Academic Building (that's the one you'll want to go into ;))

1900 Coffey Road will put you right in front of the entrance to the Veterinary Medicine Academic Building (that's the one you'll want to go into ;))

Yeah... that's the best address to use. If the cab driver can't go by addresses, tell him to get you to OSU's football stadium-- precisely the road that's in front of the stadium (Woody Hayes Drive). Coffey Road (and the vet campus) is west of the stadium on Woody Hayes Drive. VMAB is straight back on Coffey Road (honestly, if you kept driving straight on Coffey Rd, you'd plow right into it...)

There's not a taxi in Columbus that can't get you to the 'shoe. :)

So I do my interview tomorrow but I did my orientation today.

Have to say, OSU is damn impressive. It may have me debating over IS vs OOS if it comes to that, though IS will probably win on debt alone. But it was still a very enjoyable tour.

They said they reduced the number interviewed from 500 (last year) to ~ 300 this year.

So I do my interview tomorrow but I did my orientation today.

Have to say, OSU is damn impressive. It may have me debating over IS vs OOS if it comes to that, though IS will probably win on debt alone. But it was still a very enjoyable tour.

They said they reduced the number interviewed from 500 (last year) to ~ 300 this year.

yes, i did the tour this morning and interviewed this afternoon i LOVED it.. for me its going to be hard to choose between this and my IS if i get offered both because OSU is so strong on research vs. my IS school..

I have a flight at 6 am tomorrow to go to my interview!! I'm doing the tour/orientation tomorrow, but my interview is Friday at 8:15. I'm getting nervous!

It definitely helps to do the orientation/tour before the interview. I have a txt file with answers I wrote for all the questions I could find and the only one left without an answer was 'Why OSU?', but now I have an answer, so that helps.

Course, now they won't ask that, but peace of mind dontchaknow.

Good luck to everyone interviewing! So exciting!

For me last year, it was a fun day and interview. I loved the school. It was my first interview and I obsessed with what to wear, what to bring etc. I ended up with my bag which had water, padfolio, resume, VMCAS, supplemental, and copies of a published paper I had written. I also brought tums, gum, tissues, advil, and lots more.

To pass time waiting, I reread my supplemental. Good idea, right? I was skimming one of the questions and somewhere in one of them I intended to say "veterinary work" but somehow it wound up as "missionary work". I am pretty sure I temporarily passed out. I immediately stopped reading, threw my stuff in the bag, and had a silent internal meltdown. And then hoped and hoped that since I already got an interview, they might just overlook that... I have no idea how that even got in there! :shifty: Now, it makes for a good laugh.

Then, I was a total spaz in my interview. They asked me about community service, and I was about to volunteer by cooking food for a womens shelter. I then said "I just hope my dish is sanitary". Totally awkward thing to say, I don't even know what I was talking about. There was a weird silence, then they asked me what I meant and then I fumbled out some BS. And died a little inside. They next asked me what I was reading. My first instinct was, um, SDN? And then my second instinct was Twilight! And then I thought of a really random book I read about deep sea diving (of which I know nothing, aside from this random book). So I told them the diving book which again was kind of awkward. :whoa:

The moral is, after a little waitlist movement, I got in! So there's hope! ;)

Good luck to everyone interviewing! So exciting!

For me last year, it was a fun day and interview. I loved the school. It was my first interview and I obsessed with what to wear, what to bring etc. I ended up with my bag which had water, padfolio, resume, VMCAS, supplemental, and copies of a published paper I had written. I also brought tums, gum, tissues, advil, and lots more.

To pass time waiting, I reread my supplemental. Good idea, right? I was skimming one of the questions and somewhere in one of them I intended to say "veterinary work" but somehow it wound up as "missionary work". I am pretty sure I temporarily passed out. I immediately stopped reading, threw my stuff in the bag, and had a silent internal meltdown. And then hoped and hoped that since I already got an interview, they might just overlook that... I have no idea how that even got in there! :shifty: Now, it makes for a good laugh.

Then, I was a total spaz in my interview. They asked me about community service, and I was about to volunteer by cooking food for a womens shelter. I then said "I just hope my dish is sanitary". Totally awkward thing to say, I don't even know what I was talking about. There was a weird silence, then they asked me what I meant and then I fumbled out some BS. And died a little inside. They next asked me what I was reading. My first instinct was, um, SDN? And then my second instinct was Twilight! And then I thought of a really random book I read about deep sea diving (of which I know nothing, aside from this random book). So I told them the diving book which again was kind of awkward. :whoa:

The moral is, after a little waitlist movement, I got in! So there's hope! ;)

haha, that's really awesome! did they ever ask about your missionary work?

I then said "I just hope my dish is sanitary".

HAHAHA!! Hilarious! :laugh: I just came from my microbiology final and it was kind of hard, so this was such a good pick me up!

Ok so had my interview today. All in all I think it went well. They didn't accept me right out of the chute but official acceptances go out in January so...who knows.

Anyhow, I was a bit nervous (kept swaying in my chair, damn them for giving us swivel chairs! That's probably the exact reason they do it too) but I think it went well. I had an answer for all but one of their questions where I just said "I don't know, here's my guess ____". It was about what might cause the fascia (connective tissue b/t muscle and skin) to degrade in a cat. In fact I think that was the worst part because I gave a long drawn out explanation of accumulated mutations over the cats life time and worn out replication enzymes that make more errors (the cat was 20 years old) and the interviewer goes "Oh, well I was thinking more of something like bacteria or a parasite." DOH! Occam's Razor, KISS, damn it...oh well lol.

There was a pretty funny vet school guy answering questions prior to the interview, so listening to him and others ask questions didn't give me enough time to go through the 'what if' crap to make myself more nervous, so I think that helped out.

All in all, I give it a positive experience. Will write up a more detailed report on interview feedback page later when I'm not in the middle of an airport lol.

Hey Hopefulag, I'm pretty sure I was sitting next to you today in the lounge lol...anyway, had my interview today too. I thought it went well. Very friendly interviewers :) I was really hoping to get an acceptance invitation when i went to get my luggage...lol...nothing yet :) Nice school though.

Good luck everyone!

I feel like the people who were accepted right away were interviewed by the dean herself, so I wouldnt worry too much since most of the interviewers don't have the "authority" to just hand out acceptances.

I feel like the people who were accepted right away were interviewed by the dean herself, so I wouldnt worry too much since most of the interviewers don't have the "authority" to just hand out acceptances.

Definitely not the case from last year.

Hey There,

So I don't think just the Dean can tell you but she likes to be the one to tell you. Two years ago, my interviewers told me, but they brought me back to meet her and get the official, offical acceptance from her.

Of course, I obssessed till I got the actual paper letter in the mail.

And I was there one of the two guys who presented in the morning and was there for lunch, but I don't think I'm that funny so you probably had the other one. But who knows, maybe I'm a riot to some people?

Anyway, it looked like most people were doing pretty well with their interviews. Good luck to the rest of you, I might pop in for anyone doing interviews tomorrow.

And don't forget to fill out interview feedback, we have the most at OSU, and we need more! Good luck!

ok so this is really random.. i was just searching the OSU website to see if i could find the email for the person who interviewed me to send them a thank you. i have not received a call to say i was accepted yet (interviewed on wed) but when i was checking out the site, i went under the current students link and i am almost positive that i couldnt get into the link that says schedule changes (myCVM) because i didnt have an OSU email/wasnt accepted.. but now i can and at the top of the page it has an email address: [email protected] and i know that i didnt have one before.. also my applicant center doesnt still have an OSU email address listed so i am totally LOST :confused:

am i reading into this too much/can anyone else tell me if i am remember this wrong because now im getting super nervous!!

wierd... i just checked it out and i have [email protected] up there. I am not reading into it too much... I feel like they would have told us had we been accepted and it could just be a side effect of creating our accounts. I think you set up your email when you accept a spot.

wierd... i just checked it out and i have [email protected] up there. I am not reading into it too much... I feel like they would have told us had we been accepted and it could just be a side effect of creating our accounts. I think you set up your email when you accept a spot.

yeah i think they would have already told us too.. just a little odd. nothing like making us all hope/wish with all our might though :)

I'm soooo nervous!! Mine is in the morning. I went on the tour and to the orientation today and I love it!! So apparently if you are OOS, all you have to do is get on the waiting list and your chances are great that you'll get in

Yeah mine shows up with an osu email address as well. But I'm not getting my hopes up because a lot of schools make an email address up for you for just applying. I know mine did for undergrad.

Hey There,

So I don't think just the Dean can tell you but she likes to be the one to tell you. Two years ago, my interviewers told me, but they brought me back to meet her and get the official, offical acceptance from her.

Right, that's sort of what I was getting at. Like if you happened to be interviewing while she was presenting for the orientation and had to leave after the interview to catch a flight or something, I wouldn't get too worked up about not being accepted right away :)

My interviewers told me that since they are interviewing fewer people this year, they are going to wait until most interviews are done and then rank everybody based on both objective and subjective scores before sending out acceptances. Maybe that means fewer people will get the immediate acceptance?

Last edited:
Hey Hopefulag, I'm pretty sure I was sitting next to you today in the lounge lol...anyway, had my interview today too. I thought it went well. Very friendly interviewers :) I was really hoping to get an acceptance invitation when i went to get my luggage...lol...nothing yet :) Nice school though.
Were you the guy from Michigan? I asked if it was your first time applying and then they came to get you right after?

Yah I also kind of leisurely strolled through the lobby afterwards on the way to get my luggage thinking "Well maybe they're gonna jump out of a bush with hats and balloons" but alas, it was not to be.

My interviewers told me that since they are interviewing fewer people this year, they are going to wait until most interviews are done and then rank everybody based on both objective and subjective scores before sending out acceptances. Maybe that means fewer people will get the immediate acceptance?
Yah they said they were interviewing about 360 people and admitting 140. When you take into account that they have to interview AT LEAST 100 in-state people (since that's how many slots they have), that's still a 1/6 chance for an OOS to get accepted. Not shabby. Unless, of course, that's not 360 total but 360 OOS; I may have misunderstood that part of the presentation.

By the by I think this year's interview cycle is almost over but if anyone still has yet to interview, I just posted my feedback up on the page.

Last edited:
Yah they said they were interviewing about 360 people and admitting 140. When you take into account that they have to interview AT LEAST 100 in-state people (since that's how many slots they have), that's still a 1/6 chance for an OOS to get accepted. Not shabby. Unless, of course, that's not 360 total but 360 OOS; I may have misunderstood that part of the presentation.

I asked the person who interviewed me about this.. he said they were interviewing about 180 IS people to fill those 100 spots so about 180 for the OOS spots, pretty good odds :)

I interviewed there yesterday, and I felt it went pretty well. Everyone seemed pretty nice and my interviewers kept laughing with me, so maybe thats good? I dunno. I met a couple current students who seemed pretty cool.

I asked the person who interviewed me about this.. he said they were interviewing about 180 IS people to fill those 100 spots so about 180 for the OOS spots, pretty good odds :)

I like those odds! The odds for anyone interviewed and at least waitlisted are pretty good too!

Also, did anyone other than minnerbelle get accepted immediately this year? I'm willing to believe that she is such a rocking applicant that they accepted her and only her out of the gate.

I like those odds! The odds for anyone interviewed and at least waitlisted are pretty good too!

Also, did anyone other than minnerbelle get accepted immediately this year? I'm willing to believe that she is such a rocking applicant that they accepted her and only her out of the gate.

someone earlier on this thread got a phone call 2 days later saying they were accepted.. thats all so far i believe

Also they said if you get Waitlisted as an OOS applicant you have a near 100% chance of getting in, as they go through that wait list quickly.

On the flipside, if you get waitlisted as an IS applicant, you have very little chance of getting in.

My interview is tomorrow, and now that I am typing this and realizing this, I think I may vomit out of nerves. Last year, my interview wasn't till January, so by the time it rolled around, I felt that it was time. This is so soon! I am somewhat freaking out about it. I just hope my stupid social anxiety doesn't mess with me by having me spew out answers that no one can understand. Well, just wanted to rant a bit. Thanks for listening! Hope everyone else had wonderful interview experiences, and the best of luck to everyone. I think they should let us all in!