Ohio Supplemental Table

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am filling out the ohio supplemental and the table goes down to extremely specific details regarding how many hours you have clipped a dogs nails or cleaned ears and how many patients you have done this task on. I never thought I would be asked to quantify each specific task and how many patients I have performed this task on and I have never kept track.

Any thoughts? I would really have to take a guess on this one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing, and what actually qualifies "animal handling" for each species.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am having issues too. I am horrible at approximating! I have been trying to get a feel for what all I do in a month (been taking notes on how many animals come in each day I work, what they are and what we do with them) to try to quantify it from there. So far I have a mess of notes and not sure if I'll have time to really make sense of it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you have to list total hours? Man, it wasn't quite that bad last year. I feel for ya.

What are the other Qs like this year? Ohio was one of the harder supps I had.

I was wondering the same thing, and what actually qualifies "animal handling" for each species.

Anyone have any ideas?

I agree, I would have appreciated them stating each handling task for us so we have some idea of what they are looking for and what they feel is more important then others tasks.

There is just one other question on there and it is very straightforward, they just ask you why they should accept you without talking about anything in your personal statement.

I agree that it is difficult to "guestimate" a lot of these #'s. I am having trouble deciding where to list certain species i.e. companion animal vs. exotics. I have worked with a lot of small furry animals (ferrets, rats, chinchillas, guinea pigs, rabbits, and even one hedgehog!) as part of my small animal experience.

Also, not sure on how much to put for wildlife. It asks for species, but I put songbirds instead of listing each individual species worked with. I did put down squirrels, bunnies, and opossums since their care is different. I have also worked with bobcat, kangaroos, prairie dogs, serval cats, emus, etc. Not sure if I should be listing all of them, that's gonna be a lot of entries under exotics! Not really too sure how to list them. I could just do neonate mammals, songbirds, then list the cats together, etc. Not real sure.

I think it's pretty fair to say

A). Nobody is entirely sure what the best way to tackle this part of the app

B). Guesstimate and do your best

C). The admissions committee will have a hodge podge of information to evaluate and characterize from 1000 or so applicants

D). Guesstimate and do your best

E). Profit?

Every time I think about this supplemental, I just have to laugh.

Because otherwise I'll cry.

18 years of horse handing? 5 years as a tech in a SA clinic? Yeah. :rolleyes:

Bumping this up because I am currently working on this table, and I am feeling like my brain is made of lead.

What the heck else qualifies as companion? Where do I put bunnies, guinea pigs, etc? I know someone mentioned it before - should I be listing donkeys separately under equine?

Also, how are people guessing on number of animals and numbers of hours? I mean...18 years of horse experience. How are you quantifying things like that?

*tears hair out*

I am working on my table now. I put horse and donkey under equine as well as some zebra crosses I worked with. Not sure if horse is specific enough for species, this will probably sound like a dumb question but are all horses that same species? Are ponies the same as horses just smaller? I worked with some horses and ponies at a petting zoo, but don't know too much about them.

I am putting bunnies under companion, I'd think guinea pigs would go there as well. Exotics would be like flying squirrels, sugar gliders, ferrets (I think that could be either companion or exotic), pet birds, etc. I put all my wildlife species under exotics.

I don't know what to put for numbers of animals. I think there is gonna be a lot of guessing going on with the table, I am just doing my best to approximate and accurately describe everything.

I am working on my table now. I put horse and donkey under equine as well as some zebra crosses I worked with. Not sure if horse is specific enough for species, this will probably sound like a dumb question but are all horses that same species? Are ponies the same as horses just smaller? I worked with some horses and ponies at a petting zoo, but don't know too much about them.

I am putting bunnies under companion, I'd think guinea pigs would go there as well. Exotics would be like flying squirrels, sugar gliders, ferrets (I think that could be either companion or exotic), pet birds, etc. I put all my wildlife species under exotics.

I don't know what to put for numbers of animals. I think there is gonna be a lot of guessing going on with the table, I am just doing my best to approximate and accurately describe everything.

Thanks for the input! I suppose I am just going to sort of vaguely guess on the numbers for some.
RE horses: Yes, ponies are the same species as horses - think of it like dog breeds! Just like Chihuahuas and Great Danes are the same species, so are all the breeds and sizes of horses. :D

Thanks for the input! I suppose I am just going to sort of vaguely guess on the numbers for some.
RE horses: Yes, ponies are the same species as horses - think of it like dog breeds! Just like Chihuahuas and Great Danes are the same species, so are all the breeds and sizes of horses. :D

Thanks, that's what I thought :).

How are you doing on the essay for Ohio? I am not sure what they are looking for. I am thinking of writing about my research experience since it isn't anywhere on my application other than the courses section and also my academics. I feel like they are looking for you to write about non academic stuff like obstacles you've overcome or how you have a unique prospective to bring or something, but I am not really sure what to write about like that.

Had my very first look at the beast today: :whoa:

What on God's green Earth were they thinking?!?! Designed by a sadist I tell you! I have NO idea how I'm going to manage this one... Do we really only get to list three species per 'group'? And wanting to know specific numbers and hours... Oi! The only easy part for me is going to be the equine section... Zip, zero, nadda (unless me beating the vet school 'horse' counts). :beat:

My biggest issue is going to be the exotics section because that's the bulk of my 12 years of experience. Guess I'll have to widdle it down to the top three and most 'exciting' species and then stick an oddball into the companion animal section. I can count chickens as livestock, right?

Had my very first look at the beast today: :whoa:

What on God's green Earth were they thinking?!?! Designed by a sadist I tell you! I have NO idea how I'm going to manage this one... Do we really only get to list three species per 'group'? And wanting to know specific numbers and hours... Oi! The only easy part for me is going to be the equine section... Zip, zero, nadda (unless me beating the vet school 'horse' counts). :beat:

My biggest issue is going to be the exotics section because that's the bulk of my 12 years of experience. Guess I'll have to widdle it down to the top three and most 'exciting' species and then stick an oddball into the companion animal section. I can count chickens as livestock, right?

You can list more than 3 species. There is a little + in the right hand corner of each category which will add more lines for you.

You can list more than 3 species. There is a little + in the right hand corner of each category which will add more lines for you.

Thank you SOOOO much!!! I guess I missed that given that my shock made me flee from the site rather quickly. That will certainly make life just a little easier.