Ohio VS Tufts VS Pennvet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet28

Reaction score
OOS for all, international actually (haven't heard from Penn yet but just in case). I know at the end it won't matter where you get your DVM, but I would like to get the most clinical/hands-on/problem solving experience as much as possible! Also which one would be more financially feasible. Tufts is kind of expensive but I think they have more financial aid available?

I am also thinking about commute and COL. Tufts doesn't seem to have public transport, and you gotta drive to the New Bolton Center. Does Ohio state have public transport available? Also which town is cheaper for housing and food? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, just wanted to confirm that the public transport at Tufts is virtually non-existent. We're right on the commuter rail for Boston/Worcester, but other than that, there's no buses etc.

While I'm content with my choice, Tufts is quite expensive. I chose it for proximity to family for a number of reasons, but if that weren't a consideration, I probably would've gone with Ohio. I qualify for aid, but I don't think my aid package brought it back down to a comparable number. That might vary a bit person to person, though.

I’ve only seen applicants say that tufts gives more financial aid compared to other schools, I’ve yet to see actual students corroborate that or even the vet school mention anything about that. Ohio would be your cheapest option out of these three by like 100,000+ in loans, and that’s just for tuition. With cost of living, tOSU is also in a less expensive area, so loans you would have to take out for rent, food, etc, would be less than at Tufts and Penn

Thank you everyone for the advice!! Does anyone know if student jobs are available at OSU's hospital? Also if OSU has a trauma level 1 hospital like Tufts?

Additionally, is there reliable public transport in Columbus, Ohio and what about safety? Thanks!!!