ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do we have to have lab coats by the first day?:confused: I thought we could wear scrubs for anatomy and we wouldn't be seeing any patients until the 3d year?

Can someone do a quick list of the things we actually have to have by day 1? I've read through the online new student handbook and the postings on the vet website but I feel like I'm still missing info.

From what I remember we pick up our class notes during orientation which start the 18th, wear something nice because they take pictures that day, Rabies vax need to be completed before year 3 but we can do them through school in the fall (or winter?), TB tests will be done in the first quarter but we can have a Dr. fill out a form if we get it done ahead of time, make sure your Tetanus vax is up to date (not sure when the deadline is for that), have book orders placed by Aug 1st..... what else am I missing?

Do we have to have lab coats by the first day?:confused: I thought we could wear scrubs for anatomy and we wouldn't be seeing any patients until the 3d year?

Can someone do a quick list of the things we actually have to have by day 1? I've read through the online new student handbook and the postings on the vet website but I feel like I'm still missing info.

From what I remember we pick up our class notes during orientation which start the 18th, wear something nice because they take pictures that day, Rabies vax need to be completed before year 3 but we can do them through school in the fall (or winter?), TB tests will be done in the first quarter but we can have a Dr. fill out a form if we get it done ahead of time, make sure your Tetanus vax is up to date (not sure when the deadline is for that), have book orders placed by Aug 1st..... what else am I missing?

Student handbook says we need clean lab coats for labs, so if not first day, first week of class definitely.

According to the Immunization Record we need to fill out, rabies vaccines will be done Winter or Spring quarter first year if you don't come in with it already.

Members don't see this ad :)
CatVet, lab coats are required in all of our anatomy labs...so these are not the ones you'll be wearing in clinics (ewww)! As per a friend who is already a student at OSU CVM, it's a very good idea to have at least one lab coat for the first day of classes (she says that if memory serves correctly, there will be anatomy on the first day).

I'm still on the fence regarding how many of them I will be ordering. Probably no more than 2...I've resigned myself to the idea that I'll be smelled before seen and dubbed a first year by every person who gets a whiff.

Last edited:
During the last day of orientation, you'll pay your dues, buy your parking permit, get your ids (if you're in columbus prior to orientation, I highly recommend doing this asap, simply because the lines get ridiculously long for id's), get your class notes and have your photo taken for the class composite . During orientation the clubs will also sell merchandise.
CatVet2Be- rabies vaccines were done in spring quarter for our class, and they put the times into the schedule to make it easy to get the complete series

Last edited:
I know we got the email earlier in the week about how to setup direct deposit for our loan refund, but it not being available yet. As of today I was able to get onto the SallieMae website to actually set that up.

So for anyone else anxious to get everything done, here is one more you can check off.

I logged in to go set up direct deposit (thanks for the heads up David), and noticed I'm signed up for classes now! :D

Ok, pointless posting, I was just excited about it. Makes it more real!

I logged in to go set up direct deposit (thanks for the heads up David), and noticed I'm signed up for classes now! :D

Ok, pointless posting, I was just excited about it. Makes it more real!

Each day it just gets a little more real.

Does anyone know where we can find the weekly schedule that shows what classes are what times each day of the week.

Each day it just gets a little more real.

Does anyone know where we can find the weekly schedule that shows what classes are what times each day of the week.

On my Student Center it all just says "TBA." However, I logged in to myCVM and was able to find the weekly schedule laid out for the Autumn quarter of last year's class. Maybe it is the same?

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't been on, but I was out of town.

Cat Vet- Definetely people get confused but you get a different coat for anatomy versus Clinics. You get a true "white" coat for when you enter clinics but anatomy lab is different. Honestly I wouldn't have them put your name on it. For our class, those students didn't get their lab coats for several weeks till after we had started classes.

I bought two lab coats and only used one. My best advice is don't wash your scrubs and lab coats at home. I took mine to a public laundry and that was best.

On your first day you get class notes, pay your microscope fee, class dues, get your ID card and get your Parking pass. My best recommendation is come on the first day with your check book, because you'll need it. Also if you can get your ID card and Parking Pass early, then this will help reduce your wait times.

Also for the Rabies vax, its supposed to be done during Fall quarter, but due to the vax shortage, our class had ours moved till the Spring. But yes the administration will schedule it for you if you need it. My advice is that if your parent's insurance covers it, then start working on it now. Many of my classmates waited and then had to fight the insurance and everything to get the vax.

It was surprising about how many people had problems with insurance companies who couldn't understand why veterinary students would need rabies vax. Just a suggestion.

If you go online under MyCVM, under Core Schedules yes you can see the class of 2012 class schedule. But honestly, that's probably not that accurate and I wouldn't print it off now. They will let you know when that is available. The schedule changes because it is based around professor's schedules, but it will be planned out for the rest of the quarter!

I hope this helps!!

Hey All!!

I know you are all desperate for news!! But here is some great news!! You have an email waiting for you, to conduct a survey for SAVMA. I'm sure many of you may not know what SAVMA is but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I hope this gives you some taste of your future veterinary school life!!

Have a good day!

I know this is a little late in the game, but I have an awesome 2 bedroom townhouse and I'm looking for a roomie. I wanted to post on here before I email the entire list serve... I feel like I "know" the SDNers a little better haha!

It's in German Village, which is an urban neighborhood just south of downtown Columbus. I've lived in the area for a year now (in another apartment by myself) and love it! It's a great mix of people, really walking/jogging friendly, with plenty of great restaurants, delis, and coffee shops within walking distance. It's convenient to I70, I71, and SR315. It takes me only 15 minutes to go from here to parked at the vet school, so it's not a bad drive at all. And of course we can carpool if you like.

This place is pretty darn perfect, the landlord allows pets, (I have a 1 year old female spayed chocolate lab who is about 70 lbs) the place has plenty of space, it's clean, updated, and in a great location; 1 block to the grocery store and Schiller Park, which is off leash dog friendly :) and 2 blocks to Schmidt's... mmm German food.

More about the place: 2 good sized bedrooms, decent closet space, a smaller extra room (office/dog kennel room/whatever) and bathroom upstairs. Downstairs is the living room (w/ new "hardwood":p floors) and eat-in kitchen w/ new cabinets and big pantry. The basement has plenty of storage space and a new washer and dryer. Outside there's a little covered patio area and small yard. It's in an 8 unit building (all completely separate), so everyone has their own little patio/grass space. It has central air, gas heat, and lots of windows. The rent is $825 plus utilities (all of which are to be split between 2 people) and that includes pet rent. August's rent is free so if you want to move in really soon that's fine! Otherwise I'm really hoping to get someone starting in September. I'm not hung up on having to have a classmate as a roomie. Even if you have a friend in Columbus looking for a place let me know as long as they're fairly normal and laid back :laugh:

PM me or email ([email protected]) if you want more info or pictures/want to see it and meet me.

Thanks guys!

Did anyone else take their DISC assessment yet? I'm curious to know everyone's results. I assume we will all be sharing at orientation anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey There!!

Hey guys! Yeah you will all share your DISC stuff in your orientation! It's pretty interesting stuff!

I hope you are all getting excited!

Just took it. I'm a perfectionist. (haha big surprise) :p I mean... we are talking about vet students...

I'm Inspirational....... sorta.

The pattern I'm closest to is The Practitioner.... although really I had almost equal results among the I, S, and C. It sounds mostly right.

I got Perfectionist as well. Which I admit, I can be at times, but I feel like I identify with one of the other options more. So I don't know if I think the test is spot on (or maybe I am just in denial)!

I was both Dominant and Inspirational. Though I don't put much thought into the results. Honestly I could have put any of those words as least or most like me. I def. had a hard time chosing what was right for me. I feel like the test would be more accurate if taken for you by someone who is very close to you.

I feel like the test would be more accurate if taken for you by someone who is very close to you.

That's true. As I was taking it, I was thinking, "I wonder if I'm actually self-aware enough for this to be accurate."

Results Oriented. Extremely dominant but I didn't really think that way about myself.

PS-- I'm in Cbus (finally). Who's around? Anyone want to hang out? :D

Hey cRose! I've been here forever it seems, and I have all sorts of free time! (well, for now, right? :))

I got Perfectionist, but it made me take it twice because the first time it said DISC didn't have a pattern that matched me. Haha! I guess I'm just special like that. :p

Is anyone else tired of seeing 'TBA' next to all of our courses as the class meeting times??? I want to know what my day-to-day schedule is going to end up looking like! It's driving me nuts.

Also, karmapple and myself have been figuring out when to try and organize a get-together for anyone who is in town and interested in meeting some other 2013 classmates. It's looking like this Thursday night, time and location are 'TBA...' ;). I'll post here again when that has been worked out, but if anyone is interested, let me know (either here, or PM me if you would rather do that instead) so we can start to get an idea for a head count.

I'm definitely interested but I'm not sure what time we'll be there. We started the big drive last night and made it from San Diego to Flagstaff Arizona. If things go ok we should be there by Thursday afternoon. OMG I am so shipping some of the cats next time. :rolleyes: Did you know a cat can actually scream for 8 hours straight before losing its voice. While on sedatives :eek:

I just arrived in Columbus today, but will be making a return trip home before the end of the week so Thursday night is iffy for me. But if anyone wants to kill some time in the next day or 2, shoot me a message and we can meet up. Would be cool to finally meet some of you all.

OMG I am shipping some of the cats next time. :rolleyes: Did you know a cat can actually scream for 8 hours straight before losing its voice. While on sedatives :eek:

And here I was complaining about my trip with Vomiting Dog and Diarrhea Dog. As horrible as that was, I think you win. ;)

I hope lots of you can come out Thursday night!

Ooh finally! I've been in Columbus... all summer. (well actually... the past 4 years) So I'm excited to finally meet some of you! Is this a SDN only type of event or can I invite selected class members that aren't on SDN? Keep me posted on time/location.

aww I'm going to miss it by a few days. I will be arriving in columbus on monday :)

I will be in columbus on thursday, so let me know when and where so I can try and make it.

Hey all!

Okay, so it seems we have decided on this Thursday, 8:30 PM, at The Blue Danube (burger joint on High St, near campus). Here's the address for anyone who needs to google directions: [SIZE=-1]2439 N High St[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Columbus, OH 43202-2923

[/SIZE]To answer Buckeye4runner, this is definitely NOT closed to SDN members, and in fact, I'm going to post something on the FB page right after I'm done here! Feel free to invite anyone else along from the CVM.

I'm going to look into making a reservation (not even sure if this place will take them) because it seems like it gets very busy, even during the week. For that reason, it'd be swell if anyone who is sure that they are coming drop me a line (here, FB, where ever) to be included in the headcount. TRY to let me know by tomorrow, if you can. I know that for some it is up in the air, so if that's you, just try to let me know as early on Thursday as possible. :)

Oh, and parking can sometimes be a pain, so if anyone is interested in carpooling, let me know. I wouldn't mind picking some people up, and live in the upper arlington area.

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
I'm in! Barring any emergency fun at work, I'll be on time. But how will we recognize each other (or, what is the reservation under)?

everyone bring their acceptance letters! (kidding!) at this point only about 5 people have expressed to me that they are coming, so I was not even going to see about making a reservation unless that number went up past 10 or so...and yeah, I'm still not sure if this place even takes reservations!

I'll put a little sign on the table that says "OSU CVM." That idea will only backfire if for some unexplained reason there happens to be another college at the school with the abbreviation 'cvm.'

Last edited:
A question for some native Ohioan: I have this fear that parking will be ridiculously hard to find since The Blue Danube is near campus. Is this true? Is it only along the street parking? Any suggestions on where to go so I don't drive around hopelessly for an hour looking for a spot? I would love to carpool with someone, but I doubt anyone lives over in east Columbus (Reynoldsburg-ish) with me (?)

Parking can be hard to find, especially for people like me, who after four years of OSU still can't parallel park...but it's not impossible and it's better right now since classes are out. If you can't find a spot on the side streets, some of the buildings in that area of High Street have their own parking lots, but you have to look out the private lot signs. Personally, I've parked at the Rutherford funeral home lot many times during the evening, but I don't want to promise that's a safe bet since it's technically a private lot. I think there may be a strip of stores on the opposite side of the street that may have available parking as well. You'll find something!

Not going to lie... the parking is going to suck. It's on street AND there's construction going on. ew. There's a little strip mall on the opposite side of the street and about a block south of the Blue Danube (with a tanning place and a pizza place...) and you could probably park there without a problem. In fact that's probably what I'll do since I can pretty much NEVER find a parallel space big enough for my car around that area.

Last edited:
Can anyone else access the canine anatomy link thru carmen? Maybe the link will open on Sept 6th by the date posted under when the class starts?

Hey There,

I know you are excited but yeah Carmen won't open until the day that is posted there. Nothing you can do about it. Sorry!

Why does Anatomy start 9/06 and everything else is scheduled for 9/20? Are there things we need to know/review before the first day?

Nothing manditory to learn, but the prof suggested learning some of the anatomy lingo to help with the start of class.

How do you know this stuff already? I swear, every time you post I feel less and less prepared...;) Ok, how many other people have started studying? Also, who's going tomorrow to Dave and Busters?

I just received and email earlier today from the anatomy prof. telling us that if we would like to start looking at some of the vocab words, it would help get us ready for when classes start. Nothing is required but looking at the terms and getting a working knowledge of them would be very useful to us. If you did not receive that email, you are to log in to carmen and the link will be under VME 520 topo canine anatomy. There we will be able to view diagrams and pics of real cadavers and also look at words and their definitions. It also has a ton of other stuff that sounds like it will be neat to look at. This site can be accessed on Sept 6th.

Also I will probably attend the Dave and Busters outing tomorrow if I have time.

I think I'm going to the Dave & Buster's thing. I hope some SDN people are going, because I was looking at who confirmed it on the facebook invite and I didn't see any familiar names/faces.

D&B sounds like a lot of fun (as does finally meeting everyone!)...but I won't be able to make it since I don't move to Columbus until the 11th. :(

Hey Guys,

I encourage all of you to go to Dave and Busters. Our class did it last year and it was a ton of fun. I won't be able to go tonight, but I'll try and go to the gallery hop tomorrow. I hope to see you all soon!

Have fun!!

Hey Guys!

It was great to meet some of you tonight! I ended up going to Dave and Busters tonight and I got to meet about 25 of your classmates. They were awesome! Hope to see more of you tomorrow!

Go Bucks!