ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's all okay. After several frustrating hours on hold, I finally was able to talk to someone. Hopefully everything is straightened out now. That whole money thing is kind of important, unfortunately. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I don't have much to add but I feel for you. I've been to the Financial Aid office and they just take forever. I hope you get it straightened out!

Good luck!!

I haven't had much luck getting through to the financial aid office and I guess I have to talk to someone in order to get something in my status changed. Guess I'll try tomorrow since I have the whole day off, at this rate it may take that long to get through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't had much luck getting through to the financial aid office and I guess I have to talk to someone in order to get something in my status changed. Guess I'll try tomorrow since I have the whole day off, at this rate it may take that long to get through.

Hey CatVet2Be, I waited on hold for two hours just for them to give me this link: http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more/Content/Alumnus_Student_Forms_Menu.htm. They said print out a copy of the "Request for change of record" form, fill it out, and fax it along with a copy of my Social Security card to the Registrar's Office. Perhaps this could save you several hours of hold music?

Hey class of 2013!

If anyone is already in C-bus and wants to hang out, PM me to let me know so we can pull something together!

Didn't the incoming class website used to have the names and email addresses of who we should contact if we have residency questions? I don't see them up there anymore and I had a question. Should I just use the registrar email address?

Hey There,

You can contact the residency office if you have questions, or I just submitted my residency application like 5 days ago if you have any questions?

I hope that helps!

so has any incoming first years thought about placing their ovess book order yet? I seen it on OSU CVM website under incoming class. I see it said that orders are due on Aug 1st.

Here is the book survey from past students on helpful books:

http://www.vet.osu.edu/assets/pdf/e...mingClass/vme1AutumnQuarterBookSurvey2009.pdf

Any current students have any recommendations on what books to purchase? I would like to have a good reference library, but do not want to buy books that I will never open, either this quarter or ever again. Also, is there a preference for Pasquini over Dyce anatomy books (or visa versa)?

Any current students have any recommendations on what books to purchase?
Also, is there a preference for Pasquini over Dyce anatomy books (or visa versa)?

I would definitely buy Wheater's for histology. It's a really good book, and having alternate images to view will come in handy.

As for pasquini vs dyce....dyce is an actual textbook, and is a good reference for all 3 quarters of anatomy, while pasquini is all images, and no information (minus one or two charts).
I used pasquini alot- it helped to provide alternative images for identification purposes, and I also found it much easier to learn the anatomy information as I was coloring in the diagrams.

I'm a book learner, so I'm pretty familiar with all of the books on the list....any questions on specific books that you're thinking of, feel free to ask!

Brandon, if you want to buy one of the anatomy books I'll buy the other.

I'll also have a handful of other early edition books that might be useful. Wheaters 4th ed, an older copy of Thrall's Diagnostic Radiology, Millers Anatomy of the Dog(1st ed), Fossum's Small Animal Surgery(1st ed), 5 Minute Veterinary Consult, along with an Anesthesia book, endcrinology and a few others I can't remember.

Hey, if any of you need the canine anatomy dissection guide, let me know. I still have mine and I KNOW I'm not going to use it anymore...plus it comes pre-scented with that lovely anatomy lab smell! :D

David,
I will have to let you know about that one. I like having numerous books spread out over my desk all at once for quick reference and that may not be the best option for me, plus the anatomy books are not too expensive. Also, a good veterinarian friend of mine who went to OSU 3 years ago has a bunch of books he said I can have, so when I get those I will have to go thru them and see what might be of some use, which we could both use.

Is there a list of supplies anywhere? I know we'll need to get gloves and a dissecting kit but is there a more detailed list about what needs to be in the kit, where you can order it etc...? Also if we place our orders by Aug 1st when do the books get to us? Do we pick them up on campus or are they shipped to our homes? I feel like the closer I get the more questions I have about everything.

And are we expected to have read the material before the first day? I'm picturing that scene from Legally Blonde where everyone else has already read the textbook.....:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to OSUCVM website, go to incoming class and scroll down to ovess suuply and click, then go to the order form page on the left and click on VME1, there you will find the order form for everything and more about what we need. This helps a little but maybeyou should contact your big sib for a more detailed list.

Am I the only one who hasn't been contacted by a big sib? Anyone?

I still haven't been contacted by mine either.

I haven't heard anything from mine either :(

Oh, okay. Well at least now I don't feel so much like I've been rejected by someone I've never met. :laugh:

The lack of information is making me a bit crazy, especially seeing as how I'm actually here in Columbus now, ready to go. I have to remind myself that there is still two months left, so just relax and sleep in every day. :) At least I got all my financial aid worked out.

I heard from mine about a week or so ago. A friend of mine heard from hers a few weeks before me. It's been pretty hit or miss I guess!

If you don't hear from them before too long, I would recommend calling OSU to find out who your big sib is and maybe email them. Thats just a suggestion.

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't been able to answer any of the questions you have. I'm in Seattle at the AVMA convention.

For Books, I would really recommend Wheater's, you'll just use it so much. I would also recommend the Dog and Cat Atlas. It's a layer by layer dissection with photographs of the dog. It's really helpfull when you just don't want to go into the lab.

For Supplies, what is on the book list is pretty much all you need. I would recommend considering at least getting your own dissection kit. It has been known that the tools in the dissection kit can break. I put my own together for about $100, and they are good quality that I can use in practice if I want to as well. Just a suggestion.

I would get Scrubs, possibly boots for equine, and nitrile gloves. Nitrile is just SO much better than latex when you are in anatomy. Otherwise you don't need other supplies than just like paper and pens and stuff.

For your big sib, if you haven't heard from them, then I would suggest just emailing the office. If you don't hear after an email, then you should call but just don't call first. The office will email your big sib and tell them to get in touch with you. That's the best way to go.

Plus, you can always send me a PM if you have questions!

For Supplies, what is on the book list is pretty much all you need. I would recommend considering at least getting your own dissection kit. It has been known that the tools in the dissection kit can break. I put my own together for about $100, and they are good quality that I can use in practice if I want to as well. Just a suggestion.

Im not going to lie, I love anything shiny and had been considering the advantage of buying my own instruments.:D

Seeing as how the school kit lists: (includes #3 & #4 blade handles, dissection probe, hemostat, tissue forceps, Mayo scissors, 10- #10 blades, 10- #22 blades and a carrying case)

I'm translating that to a DIY dissection kit to include:
#3 and #4 Handle
Pack each of #10 and #22 Blades
Mayo Scissors
Hemostats (pair of 5" curved mosquitoes? more? bigger? straight?)
Tissue forceps (pair of 6" allis?)
Dissection probe(thats the one item I'm not really finding, shopping the SpectrumSurgical website):confused:

Oh, and whats the deal with the scrub sizing? It says the gel scrubs run 1 size small, but is that only the tops, or do the pants run small also? Seems like it would really suck to order 3 sets of scrubs only to have them all not fit.

David..I totally agree with you about the scrub sizes thing. I did go google that scrub company, and there is a sizing chart, so that should help. I always go larger than I should, because I am lazy and put my scrubs in the dryer.

I was lucky and I did hear from my big sib. If you are OS, it seems like they try to match you with someone from your state, or maybe it was just coincidence.

PS. I looked up the book prices on amazon and stuff like that, and the school prices are for the most part the better deal.

Whose excited?!...I was just in columbus this past weekend (drove there, yuck!) to check on my house. Now I just want to move and get going!

Got an email from my big sib today! :D

If you guys are putting together your own dissection kits, can I ask where you are buying supplies from? Also, does anyone know what company the lab coats come from, so I can find a sizing chart?

David,
I would recommend probably Brown Adson rat tooth tissue forceps over Allis forceps. I have been putting my dissection kit together now for a few months. I just ask the vets I ride with if they have any old surgical instruments that they would like to get ride of, and I have a pile of different pieces now. Some stuff is junk and needs thrown out, but others just need a good polishing and they are good to go. I have forceps, #3 and #4 blade handles, tissue forceps, dressing forceps, needle holders, and a few other things. I just need a blunt probe (working on finding that) and scissors. Spectrum surgical out of Ohio had the economy grade instruments for very cheap, like everything under $4 apiece cheap.

Got an email from my big sib today! :D

If you guys are putting together your own dissection kits, can I ask where you are buying supplies from? Also, does anyone know what company the lab coats come from, so I can find a sizing chart?

Spectrum Surgical out of Ohio sells veterinary surgical instruments. Just look up their vet catalog and there is everything you need. The floor economy grade instruments are good quality for being as cheap as they are. I wouldn't use them for surgery, but they are perfect for dissection. And all the economy instruments are really cheap. We buy the mosquito forceps for the LA vets to use for clamping sleeves to their coveralls or for clamping vessels in OB cows. These instruments are pretty tough and if they go bad, you can buy another and it won't break the bank.

I will be buying a lap top this summer before moving out to columbus...Even though I am beginning the MPH-VPH program at OSU this fall, I want to get a lap top that meets the CVM's specifications (since I anticipate being in the class of 2014).

So, what do the student's use at OSU-CVM? I looked on the OSU website and found a page with PC and Mac suggestions (both desktop and lap top).... do we buy from OSU? And what make/model seems to be the best/most popular among the vet students?

I asked a similar question a while back and it didn't seem to matter what you bought since they aren't all that important for lecture. I recently bought a Dell laptop and I'm happy with it.

Sooo has anyone decided on a definite book list? I feel indecisive. I actually compared a couple book prices to Amazon and two of them were cheaper on Amazon. The difference was only a few bucks but something to think about. Also, has anyone bought stethoscopes yet?

I bought a Littmann Cardiology III. Pleased enough with it. I wanted the Black Edition which it doesn't appear we could get through the school.

Part of my justification for the purchase was because at my current job I do triage in a 24 hours hospital so I am constantly using a stethoscope. Figured I might as well make it a decent one.

I receievd at Littmann for Christmas from a close family friend who is a nurse. But I also bought a cheap bullzeye stethoscope to use in the field. Don't need an expensive one out there because it gets covered in poo, blood, urine, frequently falls in the water bucket, and anything else you can think of. But my Littmann stays in the box until vet school.

As for books, I am thinking of Wheaters, Dyce or Paquini (maybe both?), Dissection guide, color atlas, Thrall radiology, and maybe one of the med dictionarys. But not completely sure though. I have been talking to a few of my first year vet friends and they have been recommending pretty much the same books, some more than others.

Also if we place our orders by Aug 1st when do the books get to us? Do we pick them up on campus or are they shipped to our homes?

I think that we pick them up/pay for them on one of our orientation days...I remember reading that but can't remember which orientation day it was.

Whose excited?!

I'm excited and I agree...I just want to start already!!

We must pay for our books when we order them, or they will not order them. So I suggest that you add a check with your order so you have your books. Just a thought. I am also excited, but nervous as heck. Anyone else nervous?

Anyone else nervous?

Yup!! I have this on/off recurring nightmare that it's the first day of class and I'm the only one that has no clue what's going on. I'm nervous about the move, that there's too much stuff to pack, that the animals are going to give us a hard time, that somehow one will get loose during the trip, that I'll fail anatomy, I won't make friends, I'll be the old fart in the class (though my maturity level is usually well below my actual age), that they really goofed and meant to accept the next person on the list but won't realize it till I show up, that I won't be able to drive in ice.......:scared::scared: I promise I'm not normally neurotic in real life but now that everything is weeks and not months away the nerves are definitely setting in.

Awww, catvet! I'll be your friend! :)

and if your last name starts with an M or is near it in the alphabet, we may even be anatomy partners. In which case we WILL NOT FAIL anatomy.

...seriously though, I have a healthy fear of that class, and also histo. That usually ends up with me studying a crapload. So I'll probably fail 'basic life skills' instead, just because the title of that class alone already makes me want to skip it. :D

Hey, so you don't really need a laptop, its really your personal choice since our notes are mostly paper. There are only a few students in my class who use laptops consistently.

For books, its really your choice here too. I have friends who buy EVERY book, and those who buy no books at all. But you do have to pay your book order in full, and you can pick them up at Orientation. Just remember if you buy from Amazon that the shipping can make your order greater than OVESS. That's what I discovered.

Also trust me when I say that EVERYONE is afraid that they made a mistake and that the admissions people didn't really mean to accept them, but someone else. You just need to realize that you DO belong here and that you will do great!

See you in a few short weeks!!

PS. I looked up the book prices on amazon and stuff like that, and the school prices are for the most part the better deal.

Whose excited?!...I was just in columbus this past weekend (drove there, yuck!) to check on my house. Now I just want to move and get going!

I decided I am only going to buy Dyces Anatomy and the Dissection guide and actually went with amazon. They were cheaper on both these books and with the exception of the Biochem book seemed to be about 5% cheaper for all of the listed books. Now add in the fact that by ordering now we can avoid the 6.75% Ohio sales tax and Amazon becomes a much better deal for some of us out of staters. All eligible for free slow shipping.

Just a thought for the all the other poor students out there. School just became $145 more exciting for me. :scared:

I decided I am only going to buy Dyces Anatomy and the Dissection guide and actually went with amazon. They were cheaper on both these books and with the exception of the Biochem book seemed to be about 5% cheaper for all of the listed books. Now add in the fact that by ordering now we can avoid the 6.75% Ohio sales tax and Amazon becomes a much better deal for some of us out of staters. All eligible for free slow shipping.

Just a thought for the all the other poor students out there. School just became $145 more exciting for me. :scared:

Ok, so I just dropped off m book order form to OVESS. Some $700+ for me. I also bought scrubs and lab coats. I am making my own dissection kit to avoid getting junk. I did see though at OVESS you can purchase a blunt dissection probe for 4bucks, because I have not been able to locate one to use.

Ok, so I just dropped off m book order form to OVESS. Some $700+ for me. I also bought scrubs and lab coats. I am making my own dissection kit to avoid getting junk. I did see though at OVESS you can purchase a blunt dissection probe for 4bucks, because I have not been able to locate one to use.

You might want to get two probes. They are great but people have a habit of walking off with them. They usually come back to you but it is nice to have a back up!

I'm leaning towards starting with Evans & Delahunta ‐ Guide to Dissection of
the Dog and Young ‐ Wheater’s Functional Histology 5th Ed and then waiting until classes start to see if I need anything additional. I think I have enough random instruments to make a dissection kit once I get a probe. It makes me nervous to start out with so few things but I get the impression that most of the information will come from class notes.

bmichs75DVM what did you order that gave you such a big bill? I feel like I'm overlooking something by starting out with so few supplies. :confused:

I bought several books: dissection guide, dyce, pasquini, wheaters, thrall, clicker, stedman dictonary (it may come in handy), lab coats, scrubs(4sets), and $30 worth of dissection instruments from Spectrum. I figure I rather be over prepared than under prepared. Maybe overkill, but my big sib and a couple of my vet friends recommended some of those extra books to give you other options than going into the anatomy lab at 2 in the morning the night before the test just because you forget one small artery or nerve. I will judge on this quarter how much I will need for winter quarter.

I'm leaning towards starting with Evans & Delahunta ‐ Guide to Dissection of
the Dog and Young ‐ Wheater’s Functional Histology 5th Ed and then waiting until classes start to see if I need anything additional. I think I have enough random instruments to make a dissection kit once I get a probe. It makes me nervous to start out with so few things but I get the impression that most of the information will come from class notes.

bmichs75DVM what did you order that gave you such a big bill? I feel like I'm overlooking something by starting out with so few supplies. :confused:

I think you are probably safe with that. All of the radiologists will tell you that Thrall is a great book, and it is, but I never used it for the radiology courses. I have used it for the systems courses (there are radiology sections in each of those). It will eventually be a book you want to get, but you probably won't need it until later on.

I think having an extra anatomy book is helpful. I got Dyce and I think that I started using it a decent amount winter quarter? Some people also really like the color atlas of the dog. I got the horse one and didn't use it a lot, but I did sometimes reference the dog one.

As for the medical terminology dictionaries - I wouldn't buy one. It's just as easy to google it.

Here's my obviously biased list:

Need Autumn Quarter:

Wheater's
Dissection Guide

Need Sometime:

Thrall

May be Helpful, if you're a references textbooks type of person:

Dyce or Pasquini
Atlas of the Dog

well it sounds like I may have overdone it I guess. But I would rather have it and not use it much, than to not have it and need it. It will also give me an idea of how much I will use books for the winter quater to judge what/what not to buy.

Big beautiful house that is in need of a roommate or two. Rent is cheap and not too far from campus. Huge house only a few years old. Large fenced yard 4bed/3bath 2 story house. Everythin will be move in ready by Sept 1st. If you are interested or want more info, PM me and I will answer ASAP.

Hey There,

So pretty much every student gets $1500 if memory serves me correctly. If you are out of state you get a $10,000 instead to help offset tuition. I hope this helps!