ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think our "big sibs" received their "litle sib" assignments but I don't think anything has gone out for the c/o 2013 yet. We should be getting our financial aid packets soon though.

I'm also "anxious/excited/impatient for any bit of news" too!! Every letter and e-mail makes it seem just a little more real. :D

Members don't see this ad.

And I got the email today saying they didn't get a FAFSA for me, so they just wanted to verify I wasn't interested in federal aid for the fall!

I almost died, but Jane the vet school financial aid person has been amazingly helpful.

Hey Guys,

I know how anxious you are waiting for every last scap of information. I know I was!! So we got our lil sib list, but the administration doesn't assign them to us. We get to choose who we want as our lil sibs. Some people know incoming first years and choose their friends etc... Others don't know anyone and so just randomly pick people.

Mine big sib picked me randomly, and he's pretty awesome, so you shouldn't have to worry at all. You guys will get an email at some point, with your big sib's name and contact information, and you guys will have to make contact with them.

Also for Football, OTS (the veterinary fraternity) will be having a football block, and that might be a good way to sit with people. They are creating the block on June 8th, and then I think you can get the password to join the block. That way its a lot more fun!!

And financial aid takes a while to get here. We haven't even gotten our financial aid! But it shouldn't be past the end of June before you get your financial aid awards.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If we take a while to respond, its because its our last day of class TODAY!!! And then we have finals!

Members don't see this ad :)
In the OSU Weekly email it said, "If you have applied for financial aid, you should receive a notification to your OSU e-mail account by Friday (6/5), directing you to view your awards in the SIS Student Center, accessible via Buckeye Link at http://buckeyelink.osu.edu."

That's good news! :banana:

Hey There,

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but that OSU email really applies to undergrads. Jane Woodall, the Vet school financial aid person makes all of our decisions. So when she's done is when we get our information. It would be nice if its by 6/5. But I wouldn't count on it.

Sorry!!

From the email I got form Jane it sounds like she is looking to have everything done within the next two weeks. Which would jive with the mid-june time frame listed on the incoming students website. So not too much longer.

Awww.... consider my bubble burst. :( You'd think if it was "the latest news and information for Ohio State graduate and professional students," you'd think that would pertain to us.

Oh well. Still excited about vet school!

Sorry about bursting your bubble!!!

I read that email every Sunday, but its never really the best information for the Vet School, especially since we are our own contained unit for the most part. However that is good that we'll get our financial aid soon.

The best information as always, is from our website under incoming students and from emails from the administration.

Have a good one!!

so does anyone know the password for the veterinary block of the football stadium?

What section did you buy your tickets for? I am assuming just the regular student section and not the O block right?

Hey guys,

I know you are anxious but don't forget, they don't even open until June 8th. So there is no password yet. Oh and there is no block for the entire veterinary school.

Like your class might make a football block for example. I know there will be an OTS football block as well. And I don't know if we are allowed to post the password on this website in the open. You might wait till you touch base with your big sibs and then ask them for the password then.

Hope this helps.

hey all...

I found out a week or so ago that my insurance covers ZERO prophylactic rabies vaccinations, and that the only way I'd be able to get injections on their tab if if it was a post-exposure series. Major suck fest.

I've done some calling around, and the cheapest I can get it around here (Pennsylvania) is for about $600--which is the same amount that it will run me to get it at OSU. So, I think I am just going to wait and get vaccinated once I start school in the fall.

I'm wondering how many others on here will be waiting to get their RV series at school? And, if you're in the PA area and have found a place that has rabies vax in stock and are charging less than $600, please do share!

I have encountered a lot of blank stares and stammers when asking around about pre-exposure rabies vaccinations. Seeing as how I am planning on moving within a month anyway, I think I'm also going to get it at OSU. I plan on getting everything else out the way here (tetanus immunization, TB test, etc) but hopefully it won't be a problem to wait on the rabies series.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSU's nice enough to schedule your rabies vaccine into your schedule..it was spring quarter this year for us, but they scheduled it in so that you don't have to stress about getting to the health center and doing it around classes. So if you can't get it before class start, don't worry!

so 2 questions (completely unrelated to each other)... first, speaking of rabies... how often do we have to get the series? every year? And second, how is the parking situation in the CVM student lot? does the student section ever fill up entirely?

Last edited:
so 2 questions (completely unrelated to each other)... first, speaking of rabies... how often do we have to get the series? every year? And second, how is the parking situation in the CVM student lot? does the student section ever fill up entirely?

You have to get the rabies series once, and the titers every 3 years. Your titer level will determine if/when you need to repeat the series.

The lot sometimes gets full. It is not only for vet students. You purchase a C pass (student pass) and so any student with a C pass can park there. Typically, when you have to arrive, there are plenty of spots. Really, the only times there might be a problem is if you leave for lunch, or come to class mid-day. Usually parking is not an issue.

So, has anyone else recieved notification from their Big Sib yet? I recieved an email from mine earlier today.

Hey,

So rabies is like ri23 says. For parking, it definetely helps if you get there before like 10am on most days. This shouldn't be a problem since you start class at 8am for your first two quarters. But being later than that means you have to park farther away in the lot. I've only heard of a few times when the lot was completely full.

Also for parking its good to know that as students you buy a C pass. But after 4pm Mon-Fri, Sat., and Sun. you can park in any spot that doesn't say Restricted. That includes A and B spots. Thats nice when you come in for the anatomy lab on the weekends or late at night!

And for their Big Sibs' I know I contacted mine yesterday. You should be hearing soon!! We were instructed to contact them by July 1st so you should hear from yours soon!!

Have a good one!

So, has anyone else recieved notification from their Big Sib yet? I recieved an email from mine earlier today.

Haven't heard anything yet....

Do they just present the vet students with a list of names, or do the vet students get a profile on us....?

Hey There,

All we get is your name and your state of origin. We don't get anything else. Some people knew friends and chose them. Other's like myself, chose random people.

Some people are going on vacation so you might not hear, but you will eventually hear!! Plus, if you have any pressing questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out!!

Good luck!

Hey There,

All we get is your name and your state of origin. We don't get anything else. Some people knew friends and chose them. Other's like myself, chose random people.

Some people are going on vacation so you might not hear, but you will eventually hear!! Plus, if you have any pressing questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out!!

Good luck!

Oh, nothing pressing, just curious really. Thank you for being so helpful! :)

Boo, I wanted to see the 1 next to my school but it appears they have left it off the list :(

Me too, Rusty. I attended a liberal arts school in PA so DEFINITELY would have been the only one on the list. I think they may have listed my grad school instead of my undergrad institution, and I am therefore one of 2. :)

I'm just surprised that there are three other people from Texas universities along with me. I had no idea Texas would be so overrepresented.

Also, the average age is 22! I'm going to feel so old at 26. Darn whippersnappers. ;)

I'm just surprised that there are three other people from Texas universities along with me. I had no idea Texas would be so overrepresented.

Also, the average age is 22! I'm going to feel so old at 26. Darn whippersnappers. ;)

i know, i saw all the 20 and 21 year olds and i felt over the hill ;) it's interesting to point out the representation from texas b/c i was surprised to see that no one (from the schools i skimmed for) represented from my state and i'm a neighboring state :)

Yup, I feel like an old fart. But it is really, really cool to see some of the unique characteristics and know that that's me! :D It gave me a giddy sense of self-satisfaction which I really needed. It's been a rough week at work.

Maybe I should have found a spot for "Fire juggler" on my application.

I'm still blown away by the fact that apparently there is another Rensselaer grad in our class. RPI being a medium-large school with a huge engineering/pure science focus. Not exactly a big place for pre-meds/vets.

Hmmm, I just noticed.... Should I be offended that they misspelled my schools name? Rensselaer, not Rennselaer.

I can completely relate... I'll be 26 when we start. Age is just a number! :) Will we have to hide our Texas pride whilst in Buckeye country?? :p

I can completely relate... I'll be 26 when we start. Age is just a number! :) Will we have to hide our Texas pride whilst in Buckeye country?? :p

i think as long as you're not a michigan wolverine you're ok. j/k ;)

Hey all,

Got an administrative email on Friday evening telling me that my financial aid was granted and got a bunch of instructions on how to view/accept it. Not sure if all packages went out at the same time, so if you have yet to get an email I'd imagine it will be coming soon (especially since we are all supposed to be contacted by June 30th)

I was able to view my FA award this morning through the OSU webpage. It's a relief to finally know it's there, but wow is that a big number!

$68,297 in loans... Not exactly cheap.

Did anyone qualify for the Health Professions Student loans or any perkins loans? Or are we all stuck in the Stafford/Grad Plus loan category?

Where are you able to find your financial aid info? I went to the OSU webpage where I can check my status but I don't have anything coming up in the finances section. I'll wait till the end of this week before trying to call anyone but is anyone else is this situation? Also, how many people have heard from their big sibs so far? I'm dying for any kind of news. Letters in the mail, any other contact from school??

I haven't heard anything from my big sib yet either. I did get my financial aid notification on Friday though also so at least that's something.

I got my financial aid info this morning but my fafsa hasn't been received! I already tried calling (unsuccessfully) and sent an e-mail to get that straightened out. I did notice Ohio put 10K towards my education. I this something that's done for all out of staters? Does anyone know if it's a grant vs loan?

The 10K for Out of States is a scholarship. They had talked about it during the financial aid session before our interviews.

I got my financial aid info this morning but my fafsa hasn't been received! I already tried calling (unsuccessfully) and sent an e-mail to get that straightened out. I did notice Ohio put 10K towards my education. I this something that's done for all out of staters? Does anyone know if it's a grant vs loan?

OK, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm in a bit of a panic that there are NO loans listed on my page, and it says "FAFSA not received." I filled out the FAFSA and designated OSU back in February! :scared:

Karmapple,
Did you ever provide the professional admissions office with your social security number?

Karmapple,
Did you ever provide the professional admissions office with your social security number?

Was I supposed to know to do this? Did I somehow miss something important? I never had to do that to get loans in undergrad. :confused:

I have emailed with the Professional Admissions Office several times about transcripts and such, and they told me "your file is complete." Not so much?

Ok, David is right. Jane Woodland got back to me and said I need to call the Professional Admissions Office and provide them with my SS#. She said she has been sending out emails for a month about this, but I went through every email in my OSU webmail, and there is nothing there. :confused:

Hey Guys,

I know you guys are starved for news!! I'm sorry!! I'm actually working with one of your classmates this summer and he's pretty awesome!

Anyway yeah its a lot of money. I'm out of state and I know its scary. The 10K is really nice and its a good way to help the out-of-state students.

And just so you know, calling the OSU financial aid office is crazy. I've spent 50 min on the phone before. If you have financial aid problems, DO NOT call them. Email Jane, she is the person who does your aid anyway.

IF you ever have any questions, and you haven't heard from your big sib, then I can certainely answer any questions, just shoot me a PM. I'd love to help! I'm excited to meet you all soon!!

They had talked about it during the financial aid session before our interviews.

I somehow managed to fall aleep upright with my eyes open while trying to take notes on a piece of paper so I wouldn't fall asleep! :oops: All during the financial aid portion of the talk.

I sent off an e-mail this morning reg my FAFSA since I couldn't get through on the phone. I'm getting excited and impatient again!

Was I supposed to know to do this? Did I somehow miss something important? I never had to do that to get loans in undergrad. :confused:

I have emailed with the Professional Admissions Office several times about transcripts and such, and they told me "your file is complete." Not so much?

Yes, we were supposed to provide them with our social security number. You only missed it though because they never told us this.

Jane will get you taken care of. She got all my issues sorted at the beginning of the month and is amazingly helpful.

Ugh, I called the Professional Admissions Office, and they told me I now have to provide my SS# to the Financial Aid Office instead for some reason. Which I would love to do, except I spent two hours on the phone and couldn't get through! I guess I'll get up early and try my luck then.

karmapple, you need to contact Jane Woodland. She mentioned at the financial aid session on interview day that if we tried to call the general office, we would run into that issue (being on hold forever). If you can't find her number anywhere, email her and I'm sure she'll respond in a timely manner. [email protected]

-Cait

Last edited:
karmapple, you need to contact Jane Woodland. She mentioned at the financial aid session on interview day that if we tried to call the general office, we would run into that issue (being on hold forever). If you can't find her number anywhere, email her and I'm sure she'll respond in a timely manner. [email protected]

-Cait

Trust me, I have been in contact with her. It hasn't helped the situation.

sorry :(

I hope that everything works out for you soon.