OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Additional HPSP OBLC information is now available - look for the small link near the top http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/1HPSP.htm

A couple of the links the site still don't work.

I'm trying to get to OBC this year (6/08). And, as some other have shared, I'm fighting the bureacracy. Trying to get something done in a timely manner seems impossible.

What makes it a little more difficult is I will be going to OBC the two months before I start med school. I'm ready to get OBC out of the way.

Members don't see this ad.

There were a lot of "THAT girls" and "THAT guys". As long as you can run and can do pushups, you'll be fine, and even if you are "THAT girl" your classmates won't care. At least my class was pretty encouraging of each other.

Was anyone bumped from training for PT reasons? Did all/most/few pass the PFT taken during the first week? Not terribly worried about it, but the point system the AF uses is pretty wonky. Been running / lifting since the first of the year to be ready, but sure don't want to finish last in the footrace.

Was anyone bumped from training for PT reasons? Did all/most/few pass the PFT taken during the first week? Not terribly worried about it, but the point system the AF uses is pretty wonky. Been running / lifting since the first of the year to be ready, but sure don't want to finish last in the footrace.

I'm curious about this as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some failed. They had to remediate. Your score on the PFT doesn't matter. You're already an officer and no one in the medical chain of command cares how fast you could run 1.5 miles---especially given that you will have gone through COT six years before becoming an active duty physician.

How do you fail if your score on the PFT doesn't matter? What does remediation entail?

I'm trying to tailor my running schedule to the schedule that we'll see at COT... does anyone know how many mornings per week we will be running/jogging and for how long at a time?

I'm trying to tailor my running schedule to the schedule that we'll see at COT... does anyone know how many mornings per week we will be running/jogging and for how long at a time?

the COT schedule says that we'll be doing PT for an hour a day 5 days a week and that there will be one 3 mile run.

I think I just found the answer to my question, one of the 2nd year students here at school said this:

"On average we ran 2-3 days a week at COT[last summer], not that much. There were two days during our whole time there where we had to run a set distance, which was 3 miles, the rest of the time we ran for a set amount of time, usually around 20 minutes."

Hey all,

Looking forward to meeting you all in a couple weeks. I was planning on driving down (from Oregon) with golf clubs in tow until gas prices kept on rising and I probably was only going to get about $350 in reimbursement. Anyway, I'm flying down on Sunday, June 15 and will arrive in San Antonio ~4pm (16:00?). What's the best way to get to Ft SH?

On a serious note, should I bring my white coat, Snellen chart and stethoscope???

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Looking forward to meeting you all in a couple weeks. I was planning on driving down (from Oregon) with golf clubs in tow until gas prices kept on rising and I probably was only going to get about $350 in reimbursement. Anyway, I'm flying down on Sunday, June 15 and will arrive in San Antonio ~4pm (16:00?). What's the best way to get to Ft SH?

On a serious note, should I bring my white coat, Snellen chart and stethoscope???
Taking a cab is probably the best. You don't need the listed items.

Anyone else driving to COT from the northeast? Wouldn't mind meeting up somewhere that is common like Rt 81 to caravan at some point. 16 hours is a LONG trip by myself devoid of entertainment.

What i learned from COT last year:

- I took a plane (i dont like driving, and i wouldnt drive unless my duty station is close to alabama/on way to next duty station - military only pays for the cheaper thing... flight vs car trip, unless you are including it in your PCS move)

- you'll need to cab it from the airport, costs about 10-15$, but dont worry about receipts.

- when you get there, you will be yelled at. If i were you i would look at all the stuff they send you/COT website, learn how to report in (i didnt receive info since i got into COT class late!)

- ladies, dont wear a dress/skirt. Wear something comfortable, but not scandalous your first day, since you will be wearing it on base the entire day! Also, bring some civilian clothes (you will be able to go out in super-fun montgomery - maybe not in the first week)

- Buy uniforms before you go if you can - will save you time/stress! P.S dont cheap out on the boots!! save your feet!

- the amount of PT is not that bad. We did two 5ks (3 miles), one was on the flight line and the other was around the golf course. PT is usually at 4-5am, and its nice b/c its a lot cooler outside. But do yourself a favor and run a bit outside in the heat before you go, alabama is much different than the air conditioned gym. Bring 2 pairs of sneakers (1 running pair, 1 crappy pair)

-Crappy sneakers are for the LRC, fun obstacle course activity, you may get wet!

-Relax, enjoy yourself, go with the flow - have a positive attitude, bring granola bars and instant coffee! (there are no room inspections at COT, unlike the navy OIS)
GOOD LUCK!!

And p.s

unless you are a student (hpsp or usuhs) your PT test does count on your officers eval now for AF, they changed the regs this past year, so its no beuno if you fail.

remediation involves mandatory group PT. Failing could alter your promotions, but doubt it.

And at COT you take 2 tests (prelim and real), only the 2nd one counts.

And p.s

unless you are a student (hpsp or usuhs) your PT test does count on your officers eval now for AF, they changed the regs this past year, so its no beuno if you fail.

remediation involves mandatory group PT. Failing could alter your promotions, but doubt it.

And at COT you take 2 tests (prelim and real), only the 2nd one counts.

:laugh::rolleyes:

Getting past that, where did you buy your uniform in advance of COT?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was wondering if someone can help me out with this. I just got my orders to attend COT, and I was wondering how do I go about making travel arrangements. I don't want to pay out of pocket and then get re-imbursed. Who do I contact to get a plane ticket? or will this be done automatically for me?

I was wondering if someone can help me out with this. I just got my orders to attend COT, and I was wondering how do I go about making travel arrangements. I don't want to pay out of pocket and then get re-imbursed. Who do I contact to get a plane ticket? or will this be done automatically for me?

did they send you a travel request yet? if not, you should get one. on there, they'll ask where you're travelling from and all that.

if you don't hear anything, i'd go to the AFIT website and contact the appropriate person for COT questions. i don't want to write his name on a public forum, but it should be pretty obvious on there.

i'm driving, so i'm not sure how the plane ticket works after that.

There's a travel agent... its listed in the email with your first travel order... you'll have to call them, get their email, and then forward a copy of your orders... then call back so they can set it all up for you. I squared mine away this week and it was pretty painless (you don't have to pay anything).

I won't be getting in till a bit later than the report time but I heard that its not a big deal if you just let them know in advance.... plus you might get out of a lil' marchin' - which probably isn't a bad thing.

Good Luck!

I realize this is an older post, but as it contains a plethora of valuable information I'd like to add a note.

Several posts refer to obtaining your military ID prior to attending COT.

THIS IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE.

There is a section toward the end of the orders that states the following:

ISSUANCE OF AN ACTIVE DUTY IDENTIFICATION CARD: You (and your dependents, if applicable) are not authorized issuance of an active duty ID card(s) until the first day of travel according to the orders. For convenience, it is best to wait until you get to your first duty station to apply for the active duty identification card(s).

In my case, because I'm traveling a great distance, my travel day is on July 27, and COT reporting is 3 days later; while you *might* have time to get your uniforms ahead of time with a copy of your orders, it is very likely you will *not* have time to have the tailoring done. This also means you will probably not have any real amount of time to break in new boots.

Read your orders carefully, and don't drive a long way for nothing.

I realize this is an older post, but as it contains a plethora of valuable information I'd like to add a note.

There is a section toward the end of the orders that states the following:

In my case, because I'm traveling a great distance, my travel day is on July 27, and COT reporting is 3 days later; while you *might* have time to get your uniforms ahead of time with a copy of your orders, it is very likely you will *not* have time to have the tailoring done. This also means you will probably not have any real amount of time to break in new boots.

Read your orders carefully, and don't drive a long way for nothing.

Thanks for the valuable information and I agree about reading orders carefully. However, I am curious whether the policy that you quoted applies to new HPSP students, still in medical school? We do not get active duty cards like USUHS students, right? If I remember correctly, I think we get green reservist cards. Is it also true that we can't get these types of cards at our nearest base, like you can't get active duty cards at bases, per quoted policy?

If you bring your Oath of Office (Form DA 71 for the Army, anyway) to an ID issue center, there should be no problem in getting a green reservist card. At that point, it's smooth sailing to the PX, Commissary, and amusement park discounts....

If you bring your Oath of Office (Form DA 71 for the Army, anyway) to an ID issue center, there should be no problem in getting a green reservist card. At that point, it's smooth sailing to the PX, Commissary, and amusement park discounts....

haha, or you could join the national guard and get a real CAC card! hehe... I kid! ;-)

I'a am a new nurse scheduled to attend COT on 25 Aug 08. Is there anyone else out there acheduled to attend COT at that time?:cool:

Any points of advice? Do I really need to get a portable printer/scanner???

hi guys,

i know i posted a message once before about computers, but i found out some new information. the COT site says they provide you with laptops, so is it really necessary to bring our personal laptop? i wouldnt mind bringing it, but if i can save myself the extra luggage, i'd love to!

by the way, is anyone attending COT this july? i cant wait to go!:cool:

The problem with COT computers is that they are severely restricted. Also, my password did not work for the whole month that I was there. I had to use my roommate's log-in information to get my assignments done. What's worse, some of the rooms didn't have computers at all! Students had to travel to the library to type up their work.

Your personal equipment will always be better.

hi guys,

i know i posted a message once before about computers, but i found out some new information. the COT site says they provide you with laptops, so is it really necessary to bring our personal laptop? i wouldnt mind bringing it, but if i can save myself the extra luggage, i'd love to!

by the way, is anyone attending COT this july? i cant wait to go!:cool:

i'll be there.

The problem with COT computers is that they are severely restricted. Also, my password did not work for the whole month that I was there. I had to use my roommate's log-in information to get my assignments done. What's worse, some of the rooms didn't have computers at all! Students had to travel to the library to type up their work.

Your personal equipment will always be better.

Thanks! I will probably bring my own then. Also, does anyone know if we are authorized to use Corframs (permanently shiny shoes) at COT? I know the BOT students weren't alloweed a few years ago.

Jolie- can't wait to meet you! have you been preparing for COT? work outs/ uniforms/ reading OI's?

So I'm packing for ODS, and I'm wondering if I should leave empty space for my uniforms, which I haven't purchased yet. Am I going to get a bag to take everything home, or will I be jumping on my suitcase in five weeks?

So I'm packing for ODS, and I'm wondering if I should leave empty space for my uniforms, which I haven't purchased yet. Am I going to get a bag to take everything home, or will I be jumping on my suitcase in five weeks?
You will be able to buy a nice "sea bag", "duffle bag", or whatever the AF calls it, to put uniforms. They are not much to look at, and when they are filled up they are bulky and cumbersome, but you will always be able to spot it in the baggage return.

Are Corframs the patent leather shoes? In that case, yes. So long as the shoes are all black and shiny, they don't care what you wear. I will say that the shoes I purchased at COT were very comfortable.

Thanks! I will probably bring my own then. Also, does anyone know if we are authorized to use Corframs (permanently shiny shoes) at COT? I know the BOT students weren't alloweed a few years ago.

Jolie- can't wait to meet you! have you been preparing for COT? work outs/ uniforms/ reading OI's?

i've been working out pretty hard, but have been too stressed with other preparations (i.e. moving for med school) to read OIs or worry about getting uniforms in advance.

I just finished the commission process and have a completed USAF Oath of Office Form (AF IMT 133). If I understand you correctly, my AF IMT 133 Form should suffice. However, I am under the impression (from somewhere) that I still have to wait for my appointment orders to arrive before I can get my card and uniforms at an AFB. Do I have the wrong impression?

I just finished the commission process and have a completed USAF Oath of Office Form (AF IMT 133). If I understand you correctly, my AF IMT 133 Form should suffice. However, I am under the impression (from somewhere) that I still have to wait for my appointment orders to arrive before I can get my card and uniforms at an AFB. Do I have the wrong impression?

Nevermind. I logged onto AFIT today and found the answer. You do need your ARPC Form 92 in order to get the reserves ID card.

I went to COT in summer of 05. You dont need to bring a computer as their is a computer in every room and also you access to computers, printers, and internet at the library which is open until 9 or 10 at night. Do bring a flash drive though. Dont sweat the PT unless you suck. It isnt that hard and you can work out at your own pace, speed, during the PT sessions. I believe the PT lady just yells "get some for your lifestyle" the whole time meaning do the best you can. Be sure to enjoy your access to the officers club as I believe a pitcher of beer was reasonably priced there. Also , I think wednesday night their is a special at the bowling ally on base so you can bowl, eat, and drink for cheap. Have fun, do what your told and you will get through it.

Let us say some one didn't pass one of the PT section, push up, seat up, swimming or the running part and still didn't make it after extra training and remediation? Staying there until you pass or you would be kiked out?

Yea, i think the shoes are considered patent leather, so that works out :)

One thing I am worried about is PT. I am in good shape and can do the PT without a problem, but I've been having knee problems recently and running hurts a lot. I know they have a bike test, would I need a doctors note to take that? Or maybe I should just suck it up?

So, when they say to bring "orders" to COT, does that mean travel orders or the appointment order or the signed oath?

i'm copying everything just in case, but i just want to make sure to do the right thing.

also, do we need college diplomas? i know there is a section where they ask for that, but i was thinking that was more for people that have already graduated med school.

My orders say to report to COT no earlier than 800 and no later than 1000 on July 1st. On the website it shows that the class dates are from June 30 to August 1st and has a statement in there saying "if your orders do not have you arriving to COT at least one day prior to the start day then immediately have them amended." I am FAP and technically do not finish my residency until June 30th although I have taken leave for the last week in order to make it to COT. Should I do what my orders say or what is said online? Thanks.

My orders say to report to COT no earlier than 800 and no later than 1000 on July 1st. On the website it shows that the class dates are from June 30 to August 1st and has a statement in there saying "if your orders do not have you arriving to COT at least one day prior to the start day then immediately have them amended." I am FAP and technically do not finish my residency until June 30th although I have taken leave for the last week in order to make it to COT. Should I do what my orders say or what is said online? Thanks.

don't we all have to get quarters on 6/30?

i'm hpsp, and my orders say to officially report on "7/1/08", but under travel day on the back it says to report between 12 and 4 pm on 6/30.

Coraframs are the only low-quarters you can wear at COT.

You can buy a kit there. Everything you need can be purchased there.

I bought my uniform before I went down, but it didn't save me any time at all. Regardless of what you bought before you went, you will still be going to the military clothing store with the rest of your chalk. After buying the uniform, you will go straight to the alterations to drop everything off to get tailored. You won't be wearing your blues until week 3. Also, don't bother buying a shoe shining kit. The green boots don't really need to be cleaned and you clean the low-quarters using windex. If you do purchase your uniform before going, it makes things easier to get your name tape and the USAF tape as well as your rank insignia (make sure to buy the tape for the ABUs, NOT the BDUs) and get it all sewn on. The tailors at COT take an extremely long time to do anything. Also, get the rank insignia sewn onto your hat before going, the pins on the pin-on rank will tear up your forehead.