Ok guys! Spring semester is starting and I need your help/advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASK5251

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am retaking 3 classes this semester: Biol 400-level class, Physics 2, and Orgo 2. These are my hardest and most challenging classes. My current grades in them are C's. I know I can do much better in my BIO class, as I am going to start recording (and actually reading the book, this time). So, that's not a problem. What I am worried about is Physics and Orgo! How do you guys study for these two classes? What can I do to get a better grade? What did you guys do? How much time did you put into these classes? Did you get extra help? Any advice would be very appreciated!! I am very nervous but medicine is my passion and I just can't stop trying to do better :-/

Members don't see this ad.

Well, since you are "retaking" them, you should have at least some idea of what the class will be like, at the content.
You need to do practice questions again and again until you grasp the concepts.
Also, if you haven't took MCAT yet, really try to understand/memorize things from Physics and Orgo during class time. Then, you won't have to study them again for MCAT.

Use Khan Academy on Youtube for help. It's great.
It's all about practice. Your professor can only pick questions that you have learned in class (well at least most do.)
Especially physics, there aren't that many things to memorize (lenses/mirrors, solenoid, magnets, reflection, refraction, and etc aren't that bad).

At the end, you need to enjoy learning these. Isn't it fantastic that you are learning about how the universe works?
I didn't do any scientific research but I'm sure the person learning with enthusiasm learns better than someone who gruel and can't wait for class to be over.

I know I didn't really help much but if I can get something across to you,
do those practice questions on back of textbooks and use problems online.
These few months will determine your future.

If you can, you probably shouldn't take all three of them in one semester but that depends on your circumstances.

It all depends on how you study, but I have found that study groups really make the difference. Not only are you getting help from your peers, but you are also teaching others the material which helps solidify it in your brain much better than just reading from the textbook. If I was to give one word of advice it would be this. My study group and I would just meet up at a library and break out the white boards and just write down what we know and taught it to each other. Often making up the stupidest ways to remember things and it worked.

It also depends on the course. It helped in Organic chemistry to make a separate notebook that kept track of the reactions I needed to know for quick reference in retrosynthesis problems. One advantage of having taken it before is already being exposed to the material as Metric said, use this to your advantage. Its alot of memorization unfortunately, but that will eventually become your life in medical school (so I hear).

Physics is very problem based so I would suggest working through numerous sample problems until they become second nature, but of course do not memorize the problems as the whole point of the course is to apply the concepts to diverse situations.

I absolutely agree with Metric above too, Khan Academy is a wonderful resource so use it if it works for you. It not then find what does. You are all ready to record lectures and utilize the textbook, but ensure that it works for you. There is nothing worse than wasting an hour or two re-listening to a lecture to find out that you retained nothing.

Good Luck though and keep at it, remember those are some difficult courses regardless of who you are so stick with it!