Ok well here's another one

Started by drpduck
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drpduck

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I cannot for the life of me understand this problem! Please help!

The solubility of Fe(OH)3 in an aqueous solution was determined to be 4.5 x 10-10 M. The equilibrium concentration of each ion can be determined from the molar solubility and the balanced dissociation reaction of Fe(OH)3. What is the value of Ksp for Fe(OH)3?

--------------------------------------------------

Fe(OH)3-->Fe3+ + 3OH-


Ksp=[Fe3+ ][OH-]3

**(I understand all up to this point, but below I don't)

[OH-]=3[Fe3+]; [Fe3+ ]= 4.5 x 10-10M

Ksp=[ Fe3+ ](3[Fe3+])3=27[Fe3+ ]4

Ksp=(4.5 x 10-10)[394.5x10-10)]3 = 27 (4.5 x 10-10)4

Ksp=1.1 x 10-36
 
Kaplan had some good formulas for this kind of problem. The way you wrote will get you the answer, but its longer and a little more complicated. Kaplan says:

For ions of formula MX,
Ksp= [x]^2 where x = molar concentration

For ions of formula MX2,
Ksp= 4[x]^3

For ions of formula MX3 (which we have in this problem),
Ksp= 27[x]^4

This last one is what you came out with in your post. I hope these help. Plus they are not that bad to memorize.