Oklahoma Anyone? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nipandtuck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, is anyone here applying to OU this round?

Just curious....

Members don't see this ad.

not me this time around, hopefully next time though!

Members don't see this ad :)
No buddy, just Arkansas!

I'm applying to OU this year. They received my fee and recommendations a few weeks ago. I'm just waiting on my August scores now. Good thing about OU is that it doesnt hurt to take august test.
I'm just hoping I get one of those 1st day/week interviews that would be sweet. What schools are you guys from? I go to Emory, but am originally from Tulsa.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to Stoops bringing a championship to norman.

pbehzad said:
I'm applying to OU this year. They received my fee and recommendations a few weeks ago. I'm just waiting on my August scores now. Good thing about OU is that it doesnt hurt to take august test.
I'm just hoping I get one of those 1st day/week interviews that would be sweet. What schools are you guys from? I go to Emory, but am originally from Tulsa.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to Stoops bringing a championship to norman.

if they can happen to avoid USC.

I'm applying to OU. Only 7 out-of-staters got in last year though. :thumbdown:

I'm applying to OU too. Haven't completed the secondary yet. Went to OSU grad school in Tulsa. Born in T-town, lived there for over 25 years, but am now considered out of state since moving to Texas for employment. :thumbdown:

Looks like we've got quite a few okies here.

I was gonna apply to OSU too, but I realized I
didn't know any DO's, so I couldn't really get
a LOR from one.

Anyway, anyone know what the avg. stats are of
the first rounders (for interviews that is)?

nipandtuck said:

a LOR from one.

Anyway, anyone know what the avg. stats are of
the first rounders (for interviews that is)?

I hear those are the cream of the crop pre-meds like 32+ MCATs and 3.8+ GPA, but I could be wrong.

nipandtuck said:

a LOR from one.

There are plenty of DOs you could shadow who'd then be willing to write a letter. The school will accept an MD letter in addition to the DO letter, so you can have a letter from an MD who knows you well and from a DO who can assure the school that you have some idea what osteopathic medicine is. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You know if you shadow a DO at the ER would that be any good? Cuz i havent seen him use OMT, or are they wanting one specifically from a DO that practices OMT?

Anyways this was in one of my previous posts on SDN a while back
OU came to OSU today and they said their formula for interviews= (3.75 X gpa + MCAT Score)/2 Mcat score =average on each section. If you have 11.20 you get into the first group of interviews where 113 seats were already filled up by the first group so get in or you better stand out in the next two interview groups is what she said. Now when I think about it I dont know if it was overall gpa or science gpa.

You don't have to shadow a DO who does OMT. The big reason they require the DO letter is that they want to know that you have some idea of what osteopathic medicine is. Go ask the Dr to give you a basic run-down of the history/philosophy and ask them to put in the letter that you know what osteopathic medicine is about. If they know you decently, hopefully they'll put in more than that, of course. :)

Thanks for the advice, right now I feel I've had my
fair share of the application process, enough to where
I really don't want to try and add osteopathic schools on
right now. Perhaps if I end up doing this all again next
year I'll consider it, but I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

I was in the first round of interviews last year with a 3.28 GPA and 33 MCAT, for what it's worth.

If you're at OU, ask Nancy in the pre-med office for the formula they use, and she'll give it to you.

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully we'll be seeing more of each other come next August. :D

Edit: I see someone already posted the formula... I guess I should read every post. ;)

I'm an Okie too. This is my second time around for applying to OU. :luck: :luck: :luck:

I an undergrad at OU, and applying to OU Med School this year. :thumbup:

going for OU and OSU here.

gizmoduck said:
going for OU and OSU here.

So do OU med students get tickets to football cause that would be sweet as hell if they do. Also, if you want to go into a competitive residency is the OKC campus better than Tulsa campus for the 3rd & 4th year. My family is in Tulsa so I guess it would be cheaper to be in Tulsa.

Abe said:
You know if you shadow a DO at the ER would that be any good? Cuz i havent seen him use OMT, or are they wanting one specifically from a DO that practices OMT?

Anyways this was in one of my previous posts on SDN a while back
OU came to OSU today and they said their formula for interviews= (3.75 X gpa + MCAT Score)/2 Mcat score =average on each section. If you have 11.20 you get into the first group of interviews where 113 seats were already filled up by the first group so get in or you better stand out in the next two interview groups is what she said. Now when I think about it I dont know if it was overall gpa or science gpa.

im not quite clear of the formula,

I just read online today about the Sigma Chi pledge that died Wednesday night. They found him Thursday in the upstairs living area of the frat house. They did not have confirmation on the cause of death yet, but it appears very obvious. They has a "social event" on Wednesday evening.

Boren said Sigma Chi would be shut down within two weeks. All greeks will get hammered in Norman over this one. It is major bad PR. The third alcohol related death on college campuses in the last month. The other two were at Colorado and Colorado State. Get ready for the lawsuits. Those frat Prez and VP will be first on the list, with the national frat not far behind (deeper pockets).

Hey Abe,

I understand your anxiety about the whole formula thing, but try not to put too much stock in it. As long as you meet their basic criteria (3.0+GPA 8.0 MCAT) you will most likely get an interview. Also, don't worry too much about when you interview. Although it does help to interview in the first batch, it's no guarantee you'll get in. I interviewed on the very last day of interviews and got in (with absolutely no connections). I know of people who interviewed the first day with stellar stats and got rejected. I think this supports the theory that it's not all numbers....but I'm sure you already know that!

Good Luck!

:)

OrthoFixation said:
I just read online today about the Sigma Chi pledge that died Wednesday night. They found him Thursday in the upstairs living area of the frat house. They did not have confirmation on the cause of death yet, but it appears very obvious. They has a "social event" on Wednesday evening.

Boren said Sigma Chi would be shut down within two weeks. All greeks will get hammered in Norman over this one. It is major bad PR. The third alcohol related death on college campuses in the last month. The other two were at Colorado and Colorado State. Get ready for the lawsuits. Those frat Prez and VP will be first on the list, with the national frat not far behind (deeper pockets).
It turns out the "social event" was to blame. He had a blood alcohol of about .41%, five times the legal limit in Oklahoma.

Hey guys and gals, how's the application process going for you? I just got finished with the first round of exams here. Wow, that was a lot of stuff. Anyhoo, let me know if there are any questions that you all have. I just want to say that school here is great. The professors are really good and all of my mod mates are the shizzle.

Somebody asked earlier if you could get tickets to the OU games. Yes, you can. I didn't buy the full seasons 'cause there's always people trying to sell theirs up here for the games that they can't go to. I knew that I probably wouldn't be able to make at least half of the games.

With respect to doing Tulsa during the third and forth year, they say that statistically you're just as well off to go to Tulsa. However, I would recommend staying at the OKC campus if you want to do your residency there. You'll get contact within the various departments here firsthand. I hope that answers your question.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys. I would be happy to see you here next year.

ad_sharp said:
I would be happy to see you here next year.

Well then, that makes two of us :) j/k

Thanks for the OU med feedback.

BTW, 0.41 is out of the ballpark. I think that girl that died at Colorado State had 0.43%. Those are HUGE numbers. Blackout city, if you survived.

DMBFan61 said:
anyone else hate the fact that ou doesnt even review apps till nov 1? :thumbdown:

I was happy that they do it this way. I was an August MCATer. However, I still think that it helps to have your stuff in early.

DMBFan61 said:
so when should we expect to hear something from OU?

I think that I got my invite sometime in early November and my interview was on December 11.

DMBFan61 said:
anyone else hate the fact that ou doesnt even review apps till nov 1? :thumbdown:
So then I guess it doesn't matter if you sent in your application in early or just made the deadline then. That's good news for procrastinators. :thumbup:

I wish we got some brownie points for turning it all in early. Got my amcas in back in June and got the supplementals off in early august.

Anyone know what their acceptance rate is for in-state interviewees? The MSAR book lists interviewed and matriculated but not accepted and the last time I looked at the US News book it didn't differentiate between in-staters and out of staters. ????

Dr Turninkoff said:
Anyone know what their acceptance rate is for in-state interviewees? The MSAR book lists interviewed and matriculated but not accepted and the last time I looked at the US News book it didn't differentiate between in-staters and out of staters. ????

If you get interviewed, you've got a really good shot at getting in. I think that first week interviewees have something like an 80-90% chance of being accepted. I think that they interview about twice as many as will get into the class all together (somewhere in the range of 300 for the 150 seats). I'm not absolutely sure of these figures, but I think that they're within the realm of reality. The big thing is that it is really good to have an early interview. I think that this has a very strong correlation to your liklihood of acceptance. They rank and interview spots from the top down with the best going first.

im getting really anxious...im ready to hear something from OU and hopefully put an end to this torturous process that is medical school application

DMBFan61 said:
im getting really anxious...im ready to hear something from OU and hopefully put an end to this torturous process that is medical school application
AMEN!

DMBFan61 said:
how long did it take to hear a response from OU after your interview?

I heard back in only about a week. They have a very quick turn around. I know that it's easy of me to say, but try not to be too anxious. Next fall won't get here until next fall. Just relax and enjoy the time that you have until the real hard part starts.

I got my rejection notice last year within about a week too. OU is timely if nothing else, lol.

It's that only week of the year you'll ever hear me say Boomer Sooner, unless of course, they require that for interviews, then i'll work on it

Oklahoma Pride...Texas Sucks......

Here's to the Cowpokes running the table in the Big XII South and OU bashing Texas heads in -- again

BaylorHopeful said:
It's that only week of the year you'll ever hear me say Boomer Sooner, unless of course, they require that for interviews, then i'll work on it

Oklahoma Pride...Texas Sucks......

Here's to the Cowpokes running the table in the Big XII South and OU bashing Texas heads in -- again

why is your screen name "baylorhopeful" if you're saying things like Texas sucks?

When he says Texas Sucks he is talking about the damn Longhorns...the major OU rival. And yes 12-0 was awesome...I had a great time at the game.

is it true that sooners want to use our hook em' sign upside-down as their official school sign? i heard a rumor that people tried to petition for it - just wanting to see if any okies actually know

Status
Not open for further replies.