2023-2024 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Oklahoma Secondary Essay Prompts:
Main campus required essays, Oklahoma City
1. Why are you applying to The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine? (Max 250 words)

2. Do you have family or friends in Oklahoma? Please explain (No word/character limit)

3. Where else are you applying? (no character limit)

If you go for the SCM track: (School of Community Medicine, in Tulsa)

1. Please submit an essay that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine. (Max 450 words)

2. Please explain how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education. (Max 250 words)

3. Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application. (Max 250 words)

4. Please highlight any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track. (Max 250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a secondary. Questions:
Why are you applying to The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine? (Max 250 words)

Do you have family or friends in Oklahoma? Please explain (No word/character limit)

Where else are you applying? (No word/character limit)

If you go for the SCM track:

1. Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine. (Max 450 words)

2. Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education. (Max 2500 words)

3. Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application. (Max 250 words)

4. Please highlight any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track. (Max 250 words)

Last edited:
Why are you applying to The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine?

Do you have family or friends in Oklahoma? Please explain

Where else are you applying?

1. Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.

2. Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.

3. Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.

4. Please highlight any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track.
@wysdoc

1. Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.

2. Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.

3. Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.

4. Please highlight any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track.
Can I ask when your app was verified and sent over? Thanks!

Is there a character/ word limit for the why are you applying to OU? Thanks :)

Also, are IS or OOS? I’m IS so I feel like family one is obvious haha.

Hey everyone! MS4 here. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions! I attend the OKC campus, and I'm in the process of applying for Internal Med residency programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason, I'm unable to submit my secondary. I get an error when attempting to make the payment. I've tried a couple of times in the past few days. I emailed them, so hopefully, I get a response back. Just a disclaimer

Reactions: 1 user
For some reason, I'm unable to submit my secondary. I get an error when attempting to make the payment. I've tried a couple of times in the past few days. I emailed them, so hopefully, I get a response back. Just a disclaimer
That’s def weird. Hope it works out!!

Do we have to fill out the "where else are you applying?" section? I applied to so many schools and feel weird listing them all.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we have to fill out the "where else are you applying?" section? I applied to so many schools and feel weird listing them all.
I've asked around, and people have told me just to say that you've applied to other schools that you felt were fit for you based on the mission/values or met your criteria

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone that is IS not received a secondary yet? I am just a tad neurotic at this point in the app season.

Has anyone that is IS not received a secondary yet? I am just a tad neurotic at this point in the app season.
I'm IS and have not received one yet (verified 7/6). I think they are still getting them out - on the website, they said they'd send secondaries to everyone. But I am with you on this, I'm also tryna not lose my sanity here while waiting lol

I'm IS and have not received one yet (verified 7/6). I think they are still getting them out - on the website, they said they'd send secondaries to everyone. But I am with you on this, I'm also tryna not lose my sanity here while waiting lol
Ive been lurking on the past few years threads and OU seems to send on secondaries late.

Update on my secondary submission issue. Got an email response saying that they are aware of the issue "everyone" is running into when trying to submit. They have the fee currently listed at some amount (IIRC $60 or $80 or something like that, but don't quote me on that), but the actual amount is $0. So I guess they're trying to figure that out before sending out more secondaries

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received 8/16, IS. My application is just showing one question even when both choosing tracks which is what other schools am I applying to. Also the OUHSC supplemental application link which is shown just had background information question. I am really confused, does anyone have the same problem ?

Secondary received 8/16, IS. My application is just showing one question even when both choosing tracks which is what other schools am I applying to. Also the OUHSC supplemental application link which is shown just had background information question. I am really confused, does anyone have the same problem ?
did a new tab appear up top with SCM Track when you hit 'save and continue'?

did a new tab appear up top with SCM Track when you hit 'save and continue'?
Yes it did eventually, for some reason the webpage kept crashing for me. Changing the browser solved it.

Did anyone else get annoyed and surprised at the school asking you to tell where else did you apply to ? --- I do not want to share that information -

I dont think that's an appropriate question

What was the one question? Is it only one question that shows up for IS and only want to go to the OKC campus?

Did anyone else get annoyed and surprised at the school asking you to tell where else did you apply to ? --- I do not want to share that information -
I was told to not list out where I applied. Rather, I explained the places to which I applied (aka I applied to places whose mission/values aligned with mine).

Hi! I am an MS1 at OU-TU SCM track! I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have if you're trying to decide if it might be something you're interested in applying to.

Last edited:
Hi y'all. I'm an IS (received 8/16) applicant and when I first got the app I had 4 OK Ties questions. Today however when I went to submit the application, the OK Ties essays are completely gone. Has anyone else had this issue?

Hi y'all. I'm an IS (received 8/16) applicant and when I first got the app I had 4 OK Ties questions. Today however when I went to submit the application, the OK Ties essays are completely gone. Has anyone else had this issue?

It’s a glitch. OK ties is only supposed to be for OOS students.

I definitely filled out all the essays it asked me to. I was confused as to why it kept asking to tell my state ties even though I was in state. I submitted mine last week before the questions had disappeared. So hopefully nothing gets messed up.

One last question: On the "Questions" tab of the secondary, there is a hyperlink titled "OUHSC Supplemental Application". Is this separate from the secondary or is it the same?

One last question: On the "Questions" tab of the secondary, there is a hyperlink titled "OUHSC Supplemental Application". Is this separate from the secondary or is it the same?

It’s different and has to be complete, but it’s more like demographic questions. No
writing or anything.

It’s a glitch. OK ties is only supposed to be for OOS students.
is the "Why are you applying to The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine?" question also supposed to be gone? I am IS and only have the question - where else are you applying.

when i click back and forth between the questions and application fees, I briefly see a flash of the question - why are you applying.. then it disappears

Last edited:
is the "Why are you applying to The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine?" question also supposed to be gone? I am IS and only have the question - where else are you applying.

when i click back and forth between the questions and application fees, I briefly see a flash of the question - why are you applying.. then it disappears

Nothing about why are you applying should be done by IS students

IMG_1613.png

Here’s the email I received

I should probably add so nobody gets concerned, she followed up and said that she’s mistaken and there is a fee
Thanks for reaching out!! Can I ask who exactly you contacted? I may just email them for some additional questions.

I just received an email last night with the link to the secondary application. I have been trying to open it all morning on different browsers including Edge, Firefox, and Chrome. I have also restarted my computer and updated the software and still no luck. Is anyone else having this issue or does anyone have some advice? Anything is appreciated.

I just received an email last night with the link to the secondary application. I have been trying to open it all morning on different browsers including Edge, Firefox, and Chrome. I have also restarted my computer and updated the software and still no luck. Is anyone else having this issue or does anyone have some advice? Anything is appreciated.
If you read a couple of posts above yours, you will see the OU is having major technical issues with their application and which questions should show up for in-state and OOS applicants.
They may have taken it offline to fix it up, so my advice would be to work on your "why OU" essay and check back on Tuesday Sept. 5 (Monday will be Labor Day holiday)

Last edited: