2023-2024 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rip.. Congrats to them though!
I'm sure yours is coming <3 Years prior the majority of As come out mid-December! (finals week at OU)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if OU accepts thank you letters after an interview? I can't find anything online.

Does anyone know if OU accepts thank you letters after an interview? I can't find anything online.

Back when I interviewed (2018 and 2019), I sent thank you notes and there didn't seem to be an issue with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here who interviewed late October hear back? I saw an earlier post about people who interviewed 10/15 already heard back?

also I am interested in the Tulsa SCM track. Is it negative to express your interest in Tulsa track to OU COM admission? I get confused because OU COM is in OKC

also I am interested in the Tulsa SCM track. Is it negative to express your interest in Tulsa track to OU COM admission? I get confused because OU COM is in OKC

No- basically, you have to be accepted to the OKC campus to be able to be accepted to the Tulsa campus!

Reactions: 1 user
Got the call just a few minutes ago for an OOS A! I am so very excited. I really loved this school on my tour day!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got the call just few minutes ago too for an IS A!! Been accepted to both campuses, really excited to attend this school.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an in state applicant who completed late (10/4) and has heard absolutely nothing. I applied for the SCM track which still remains one of my top choices. I'm wondering anyone knows if there's still a chance to get an interview invite at this point. Has anyone received an IS invite in the last few weeks or heard anything about number of students accepted etc?

Considering sending a LOI but want to know if there's even a fighting chance at this point.

For context, my LM score is 81 and I'm a fairly non-traditional applicant.

I'm an in state applicant who completed late (10/4) and has heard absolutely nothing. I applied for the SCM track which still remains one of my top choices. I'm wondering anyone knows if there's still a chance to get an interview invite at this point. Has anyone received an IS invite in the last few weeks or heard anything about number of students accepted etc?

Considering sending a LOI but want to know if there's even a fighting chance at this point.

there’s a chance you could be invited. A LOI couldn’t hurt. At worst, it’s neutral. You could always call/email too for an update.

Completing that late is pretty bad though as (im sure you know annd I don’t say that to demean you. ) Especially for OU. At that time, they’ve already started sending out invites and are near interview time. So there’s a chance your app won’t “reviewed” too

Hi, I went to one of the prospective student days at SCM. I had been accepted to OKC but not SCM yet, and asked Meredith (SCM admissions contact) about sending an update letter. She pretty point-blank said that at this point in the cycle, "decisions had already been made," so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I'm sure you know SCM has a super small class size (~30). I know they don't have any more prospective student days, but I'm not sure if they're doing any more interviews. OKC, I would imagine they're still interviewing.

She could've just been saying that decisions had been made on applicants that had already interviewed - take all of this with a grain of salt! That is just the info I have. Best of luck!!

Hi, I went to one of the prospective student days at SCM. I had been accepted to OKC but not SCM yet, and asked Meredith (SCM admissions contact) about sending an update letter. She pretty point-blank said that at this point in the cycle, "decisions had already been made," so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I'm sure you know SCM has a super small class size (~30). I know they don't have any more prospective student days, but I'm not sure if they're doing any more interviews. OKC, I would imagine they're still interviewing.

She could've just been saying that decisions had been made on applicants that had already interviewed - take all of this with a grain of salt! That is just the info I have. Best of luck!!
Thanks a bunch for the info! Congratulations on the OKC acceptance and good luck with SCM!

For those who received an A these last few days, what was your interview date? Interviewed mid Nov and have not heard a thing...

Hope everyone is having great holiday! I interviewed near the end of October and was informed that I’d hear back mid December. I still haven’t heard anything back. Should I be realistic and take the silence as the R? Has anyone received R yet after their interview? Thanks

Hope everyone is having great holiday! I interviewed near the end of October and was informed that I’d hear back mid December. I still haven’t heard anything back. Should I be realistic and take the silence as the R? Has anyone received R yet after their interview? Thanks
I also interviewed around that time and they said we should hear back for sure by Mid-January. I also heard mid-December too from some so that was a bit confusing.

Don’t take anything as an R until you have the R- you may be looking at a WL spot though. Best of luck!

I agree with the other statements. I interviewed in mid-October and heard back within 2 weeks. But, I know others who haven’t heard anything yet. Mid-December could be a point they strive to have the majority of decisions made.

can anyone say what happened at the informational day and student panel?

Any idea how likely it is to get off the waitlist? I know the email says it varies year to year but generally speaking is there a realistic chance of getting in at this point? They don't give information about the number of people accepted off the waitlist on their MSAR.

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea how likely it is to get off the waitlist? I know the email says it varies year to year but generally speaking is there a realistic chance of getting in at this point? They don't give information about the number of people accepted off the waitlist on their MSAR.
It can obviously vary as you said. I feel I just have to further give that caveat. But 15-20% of my class was off WL

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all. Does the admission release wait list notification at once in a single day or in groups across a few days?
If waitlist notification is not received at this point, does anyone have any suggestion on what to expect? Thanks

i was accepted to both tracks and can't decide which one to go with

iirc, the SCM track has a much smaller class size (30-35 vs OKC's 150-170), a focus on primary care, and more mentorship opportunities

please if anybody has or knows anybody who has personal experience with either track, let me know!

Last edited:

iirc, the SCM track has a much smaller class size (30-35 vs OKC's 150-170), a focus on primary care, and more mentorship opportunities

please if anybody has or knows anybody who has personal experience with either track, let me know!
I would definitely recommend going to the student days at both campuses! That made all the difference to me. You can message me if you have specific questions.

1/9 got pre-II R. OOS but grew up in Oklahoma City and did undergrad in state

Are exams in-house or NBME?

Most are NBME, especially the clinical rotation shelf exams. You'll find a handful of in-house but I think they're moving towards more NBME.

I'm at the OKC campus. It was a hard decision for me, too! Some more pros of OKC is that we have more resources which open up lots of opportunities (though Tulsa has many unique opportunities involving community health, of course), and OKC also has Stephenson Cancer Center (only NCI-designated cancer center in the state) so more options for oncology-related experiences.

ohh i see. thank you for your input! i was thinking that some SCM pros are more mentors and mandatory research. please correct me if i'm wrong :)
i'm slightly concerned that going to tulsa will limit me to solely community health/primary care because i want to explore different specialties during rotations.

ohh i see. thank you for your input! i was thinking that some SCM pros are more mentors and mandatory research. please correct me if i'm wrong :)
i'm slightly concerned that going to tulsa will limit me to solely community health/primary care because i want to explore different specialties during rotations.

Hi! I am also part of the class of 2028 and ended up choosing OKC. This was a very hard decision for me since I am a Tulsa native

Tulsa:
1. MS2 mentor
2. Individual faculty mentor
3. MS3/ MS4- Bedlam clinic ( your own patient panel)
4. Rotate through major hospital systems MS3/MS4
5. Research is not mandatory but easier to acquire. Most professors specialize in primary care research but you can travel to OKC (with travel costs reimbursed)
6. Small class size (25-30 students)
7. Tulsa is primary care based but a lot of people specialize. The connection with OKC and the ability to visit their campus helps too.

Okc:
1. MS2 mentor
2. Learning communities - faculty mentor for your mod
3. Rotate through major hospital systems MS4 selective
4. Research is more competitive to get into but there are a lot of programs. Since step 1 is pass/fail, they are changing how the research involvement process works so more students have opportunities faster. Research can help you stand out as you apply to residencies.
5. Large class size (150-170 students)

At the end of the day, I chose OKC for the large class size. I felt like the large class size would help me learn better during my MS1/MS2

Since I am from Tulsa, I have already visited/shadowed in all the major hospital systems in Tulsa, so I felt like finding new hospitals in OKC and meeting a new community was good for me.

I am a relatively proactive person and I have no idea what I want to do, so I think the wide expanse of professors, and proximity to Norman and Tulsa would give me more choices of what research and field I may want to pursue. As long as I am proactive and seeking opportunities, I don’t think the competitiveness of OKC will hinder me.

Please reach out to me if you would like to chat, I would love to get to know my future classmates

Hi! I am also part of the class of 2028 and ended up choosing OKC. This was a very hard decision for me since I am a Tulsa native

Tulsa:
1. MS2 mentor
2. Individual faculty mentor
3. MS3/ MS4- Bedlam clinic ( your own patient panel)
4. Rotate through major hospital systems MS3/MS4
5. Research is not mandatory but easier to acquire. Most professors specialize in primary care research but you can travel to OKC (with travel costs reimbursed)
6. Small class size (25-30 students)
7. Tulsa is primary care based but a lot of people specialize. The connection with OKC and the ability to visit their campus helps too.

Okc:
1. MS2 mentor
2. Learning communities - faculty mentor for your mod
3. Rotate through major hospital systems MS4 selective
4. Research is more competitive to get into but there are a lot of programs. Since step 1 is pass/fail, they are changing how the research involvement process works so more students have opportunities faster. Research can help you stand out as you apply to residencies.
5. Large class size (150-170 students)

At the end of the day, I chose OKC for the large class size. I felt like the large class size would help me learn better during my MS1/MS2

Since I am from Tulsa, I have already visited/shadowed in all the major hospital systems in Tulsa, so I felt like finding new hospitals in OKC and meeting a new community was good for me.

I am a relatively proactive person and I have no idea what I want to do, so I think the wide expanse of professors, and proximity to Norman and Tulsa would give me more choices of what research and field I may want to pursue. As long as I am proactive and seeking opportunities, I don’t think the competitiveness of OKC will hinder me.

Please reach out to me if you would like to chat, I would love to get to know my future classmates

Congrats on your acceptance! This is very detailed and I'm sure it will be very helpful for others who are trying to make that same decision.

I agree that finding research at OKC can be more competitive, but it's definitely true that being proactive will help. I've worked on two research projects during my time in med school so far, and may be starting one more before I graduate. For all of them, I reached out to the people involved directly, and they were more than happy to add me on. There is a system that works to connect students to opportunities and a lot of work is going towards improving it, so that will also help.

Last edited:
I am sure most people have, but in my class today, someone mentioned they did not know about accepting the waitlist offer on the secondary portal. I doubt there has been any waitlist movement, but I just wanted to remind anyone who maybe doesn't excessively check their secondary portals like me.

I am sure most people have, but in my class today, someone mentioned they did not know about accepting the waitlist offer on the secondary portal. I doubt there has been any waitlist movement, but I just wanted to remind anyone who maybe doesn't excessively check their secondary portals like me.
thanks for this! didn't know about it either

Does anyone know when the waitlist usually starts to move?

Does anyone know when the waitlist usually starts to move?
There will probably not be much movement until at least April 15th, but based on previous SDN threads, the biggest surge will be after April 30th.

Just got told I got in off the WL OOS!

Reactions: 7 users