Oklahoma State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IS or OOS? Mine literally doesn't have the words April 15th any where in it. It says no actions will be taken until spring grades are posted and it says transcripts are due June 1st. I know national acceptance day is April 15 and in the past they have pulled people off the waitlist very soon after that, especially OOS people. But IS it seems like they wait for spring grades.

I'm OOS. It says I will be notified no earlier than April 15th, and that if I'm selected I will have to send Spring transcripts with a grade of C or better to keep my spot. It also says that if I get a call to claim a seat, I will have to respond within 48 hours.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CONGRATS EVERYONE!! :biglove:
And waitlisters don't lose hope! Getting called off the waitlist is totally possible! (I was waitlisted last year and got a call in April)

For those that did not receive an acceptance, I hope you have been accepted elsewhere. If not then identify your weaknesses and improved your application to come back better and stronger next year. I definitely didn't get in my first try and in hindsight I know it was for the better. I took several years off, worked a real job, made some real money and then reapplied. While it was horrible to receive all those rejection letters, I definitely grew during those years out of undergrad and I don't regret not going directly to vet school.
 
CONGRATS EVERYONE!! :biglove:
And waitlisters don't lose hope! Getting called off the waitlist is totally possible! (I was waitlisted last year and got a call in April)

For those that did not receive an acceptance, I hope you have been accepted elsewhere. If not then identify your weaknesses and improved your application to come back better and stronger next year. I definitely didn't get in my first try and in hindsight I know it was for the better. I took several years off, worked a real job, made some real money and then reapplied. While it was horrible to receive all those rejection letters, I definitely grew during those years out of undergrad and I don't regret not going directly to vet school.

Thank you for sharing that! It is very good advice and it is very nice to hear from somebody who was in a similar position I'm in. On another note, how much do you like OSU specifically and vet school in general?
 
I'm so excited y'all!!! I just hard core creeped on the c/o 2020 thread. A little bummed there's no accepted students day in the spring, but the Open House might be nice (the only time I've been, I worked it). :banana:
 
Hi all! I just discovered this community of vet school forums, so I'm new 🙂

I was also accepted to c/o 2021 at Oklahoma State (OOS). However I barely know anything about the school or town (especially since they don't hold interviews or visit days!) and I was hoping to hear from a few current or eager future students!

I would appreciate it if you share why you like the the school, vet school, or area; or why you want to go to vet school here! I am excited to learn more about OkSU 🙂 For a frame of reference, I am from the east coast and attend undergraduate at the other OSU (Ohio State).
 
@apopken
Overall, I have enjoyed most of my classes so far. And I find most of the professors will go out of their way to help you! As far as being a vet student, as I'm sure you are aware it is not easy. I definitely did not do as well academically last semester as I had hoped. I definitely had to adjust my thinking from A means you did good to passing will be GREAT! And I was NOT a 4.0 student in undergrad so I had my fair share of bad grades then too. However, its different in vet school. To put in 50-60 hours of studying for just one exam and then receive a C is very unsatisfying and deflating. Not sure if that helps?? If you have more specific questions be sure to ask!

@thedailyhailey
Welcome to SDN! First off, I want to disclose that I am only a first year and thus have only lived in Stillwater since June. However, I would say Stillwater is very much a college town. I believe the population is around 50k. There is no true mall in Stillwater and but there is no shortage of Walmarts (I believe there are three!) I have heard that there are several good restaurants within the area but I am not one to eat out so I don't really know about that. There's also a small lake that people like to run around and take their dogs to. Other than the terrible roads, I don't have anything to complain about while living here. For reference, the vet school is located on the far southwest side of campus. Since I live southwest of the vet school, I can avoid all of the undergraduate "mess" when I drive to school which is really nice (I would highly recommend avoiding living on the north side of town for this reason.) I also know a lot of vet students live directly behind the vet school and walk to class. As for the campus, the buildings themselves are dated and there is an overall lack of woman's restrooms but in the end I don't feel this inhibits learning. All of our lectures are recorded which is super helpful!
In addition, this semester we are already being introduced to non-normal (general pathology, parasitology) which I have really enjoyed! I know many schools teach "normal" for the first two semesters. For me one of the things I really enjoy about attending OKState is being able to volunteer at the TNR program. Each clinic there are 130-200 cats that get spayed/neutered and vaccinated! Ultimately, I ended up at OkState because it was the only place I received an acceptance. It has been hard "adjusting" to a new campus. I can tell you anything you wanted to know about Purdue or West Lafayette but here I feel like a fish out of water. However, I don't regret attending and I feel that I am receiving a quality education. As far as visiting, you should be able to schedule a tour or visit during our Open House in April if you want to see the campus, and town prior to committing.
 
@apopken
Overall, I have enjoyed most of my classes so far. And I find most of the professors will go out of their way to help you! As far as being a vet student, as I'm sure you are aware it is not easy. I definitely did not do as well academically last semester as I had hoped. I definitely had to adjust my thinking from A means you did good to passing will be GREAT! And I was NOT a 4.0 student in undergrad so I had my fair share of bad grades then too. However, its different in vet school. To put in 50-60 hours of studying for just one exam and then receive a C is very unsatisfying and deflating. Not sure if that helps?? If you have more specific questions be sure to ask!

@thedailyhailey
Welcome to SDN! First off, I want to disclose that I am only a first year and thus have only lived in Stillwater since June. However, I would say Stillwater is very much a college town. I believe the population is around 50k. There is no true mall in Stillwater and but there is no shortage of Walmarts (I believe there are three!) I have heard that there are several good restaurants within the area but I am not one to eat out so I don't really know about that. There's also a small lake that people like to run around and take their dogs to. Other than the terrible roads, I don't have anything to complain about while living here. For reference, the vet school is located on the far southwest side of campus. Since I live southwest of the vet school, I can avoid all of the undergraduate "mess" when I drive to school which is really nice (I would highly recommend avoiding living on the north side of town for this reason.) I also know a lot of vet students live directly behind the vet school and walk to class. As for the campus, the buildings themselves are dated and there is an overall lack of woman's restrooms but in the end I don't feel this inhibits learning. All of our lectures are recorded which is super helpful!
In addition, this semester we are already being introduced to non-normal (general pathology, parasitology) which I have really enjoyed! I know many schools teach "normal" for the first two semesters. For me one of the things I really enjoy about attending OKState is being able to volunteer at the TNR program. Each clinic there are 130-200 cats that get spayed/neutered and vaccinated! Ultimately, I ended up at OkState because it was the only place I received an acceptance. It has been hard "adjusting" to a new campus. I can tell you anything you wanted to know about Purdue or West Lafayette but here I feel like a fish out of water. However, I don't regret attending and I feel that I am receiving a quality education. As far as visiting, you should be able to schedule a tour or visit during our Open House in April if you want to see the campus, and town prior to committing.
3 Walmarts and no Target. 🙁

I definitely second living southwest of campus. I live north of campus, and it's not too bad if you leave early in the morning. From 10-3 is a nightmare though, especially with the never ending construction that plagues Stillwater. Some of the houses southwest can be on the pricier side, but all in all, they're pretty good!
 
So just some quick questions just to be able to compare to the schools I actually managed to visit
Do any 1st year classes involve animal handling (hands on)?
What do most students do during their two summers (international experience, research, jobs, stay in Stillwater, go somewhere else)?
How do you survive without Target?? (Just kidding...mostly.)
 
So just some quick questions just to be able to compare to the schools I actually managed to visit
Do any 1st year classes involve animal handling (hands on)?
What do most students do during their two summers (international experience, research, jobs, stay in Stillwater, go somewhere else)?
How do you survive without Target?? (Just kidding...mostly.)
There's a class first semester called zoo tech that has things like learning physicals and a goat castration lab. You are also always welcome at the hospital, but it is hard to get the motivation to go over there instead of studying when you don't have to.
There is a large animal overnight tech position on weekends that opens up to first years towards the end of the first semester that is awesome for hands on and getting to know and work with the residents. I did that during the school year, plus some weekdays during the summer. Others went on animal/mission trips to Africa, did externships, zoetis sponsored externships, Banfield summer program, summer research, sat on the couch, just about whatever you want.
There's targets in Tulsa and okc area along with malls which are just over an hour away. I was too poor for that most of the time and just went to Ross or tj Maxx in stillwater.
 
There's a class first semester called zoo tech that has things like learning physicals and a goat castration lab. You are also always welcome at the hospital, but it is hard to get the motivation to go over there instead of studying when you don't have to.
There is a large animal overnight tech position on weekends that opens up to first years towards the end of the first semester that is awesome for hands on and getting to know and work with the residents. I did that during the school year, plus some weekdays during the summer. Others went on animal/mission trips to Africa, did externships, zoetis sponsored externships, Banfield summer program, summer research, sat on the couch, just about whatever you want.
There's targets in Tulsa and okc area along with malls which are just over an hour away. I was too poor for that most of the time and just went to Ross or tj Maxx in stillwater.


Thank you!
And yeah, Target has gotten really expensive recently so I don't go as much as I used to. It's just different to me that there won't be one in town!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an OOS waitlisted student, and I am super excited about the prospect of eventually being accepted! Does anyone happen to have an idea of how many OOS they originally accept? I know it is a class of 33 but did not know how many over that they accept and then therefore how many they would end up moving off the waitlist. Since I have not seen the campus yet, I am planning on coming to the Open House in April. I am from pretty far away, and the round-trip flights and hotels will be expensive. I would want to see the school before accepting, but I am afraid of spending all that money, falling in love with the place, and then never getting off the waitlist. I had one of those waitlist emails that said that I "compared favorably to accepted applicants" and that many students get off the waitlist. It was encouraging, but I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some feedback or general ideas =) thank you!
 
I am an OOS waitlisted student, and I am super excited about the prospect of eventually being accepted! Does anyone happen to have an idea of how many OOS they originally accept? I know it is a class of 33 but did not know how many over that they accept and then therefore how many they would end up moving off the waitlist. Since I have not seen the campus yet, I am planning on coming to the Open House in April. I am from pretty far away, and the round-trip flights and hotels will be expensive. I would want to see the school before accepting, but I am afraid of spending all that money, falling in love with the place, and then never getting off the waitlist. I had one of those waitlist emails that said that I "compared favorably to accepted applicants" and that many students get off the waitlist. It was encouraging, but I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some feedback or general ideas =) thank you!
I believe they are actually doing a class of 48 OOS students, other current students might be able to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's the number they raised it to this year. I don't know how many they accept but I do know quite a few people in my class which were wait list survivors. Don't give up hope.
 
@apopken
Overall, I have enjoyed most of my classes so far. And I find most of the professors will go out of their way to help you! As far as being a vet student, as I'm sure you are aware it is not easy. I definitely did not do as well academically last semester as I had hoped. I definitely had to adjust my thinking from A means you did good to passing will be GREAT! And I was NOT a 4.0 student in undergrad so I had my fair share of bad grades then too. However, its different in vet school. To put in 50-60 hours of studying for just one exam and then receive a C is very unsatisfying and deflating. Not sure if that helps?? If you have more specific questions be sure to ask!

That helps a lot! Thank you!

I believe they are actually doing a class of 48 OOS students, other current students might be able to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's the number they raised it to this year. I don't know how many they accept but I do know quite a few people in my class which were wait list survivors. Don't give up hope.

That is good to hear! Are you enjoying your first year?
 
I am an OOS waitlisted student, and I am super excited about the prospect of eventually being accepted! Does anyone happen to have an idea of how many OOS they originally accept? I know it is a class of 33 but did not know how many over that they accept and then therefore how many they would end up moving off the waitlist. Since I have not seen the campus yet, I am planning on coming to the Open House in April. I am from pretty far away, and the round-trip flights and hotels will be expensive. I would want to see the school before accepting, but I am afraid of spending all that money, falling in love with the place, and then never getting off the waitlist. I had one of those waitlist emails that said that I "compared favorably to accepted applicants" and that many students get off the waitlist. It was encouraging, but I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some feedback or general ideas =) thank you!

Don't know if it helps, but I came and visited after being placed on the waitlist. I also figured out my plan for housing while I was here so if I got called off all I had to do was call up the leasing office and sign a lease over the internet. While of course there were no gaurantees that I was going to be be called off the waitlist, I figured that my odds of getting a seat were not any worse than receiving an initial interview invite from another school. Therefore, that's how I justified spending the money for the trip.

Also, I believe Alohacat is correct, That the OOS seats for the incoming class is 48. Unfortunately, however, I don't know how many candidates are placed on the waitlist.

Best of luck at surviving the waiting game and with all of your future endeavors!
 
Thank you! I was kind of excited to meet you for real
tumblr_miprar2NdN1qaf2xxo1_500.gif


but the tuition and the 10 hour shorter drive overrides that, unfortunately. 🙂
Oh no, I TOTALLY understand! You definitely made the right choice! Congrats! 🙂
 
I visited the campus this week while I was on Spring break. It was great! I hope I get the call around April 15th.

Glad you enjoyed your visit! If you toured Wednesday at noon I was hanging out in the first year classroom during that time and saw you!! :ninja:

Also excited to see you are a fellow cat person! (assuming by your username) Cats are so AWESOME! You will have to volunteer with Operation Catnip - Stillwater's TNR program. It's awesome too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glad you enjoyed your visit! If you toured Wednesday at noon I was hanging out in the first year classroom during that time and saw you!! :ninja:

Also excited to see you are a fellow cat person! (assuming by your username) Cats are so AWESOME! You will have to volunteer with Operation Catnip - Stillwater's TNR program. It's awesome too!
I second volunteering at OCS! It's sooooo great.
 
So I was just looking at the website, and I can't really find any information on this so I thought I'd ask here: how does parking on campus work for vet students? Is there a specific parking lot and do you have to buy a parking pass? I'm sorry if this is information they will send to us later!!

Also, I know earlier in the thread people were recommending living southwest of campus, but are there any specific apartment complexes/leasing companies you would recommend or would definitely not recommend?
Thanks so much 🙂
 
So I was just looking at the website, and I can't really find any information on this so I thought I'd ask here: how does parking on campus work for vet students? Is there a specific parking lot and do you have to buy a parking pass? I'm sorry if this is information they will send to us later!!
Yes and yes. There's a parking lot just north of the veterinary school that usually has enough spots (albeit I like arriving before 7:30am for 8am classes), but you have to buy a Silver Commuter permit to park there. On the other hand, the parking pass is $130 for 1yr, so not too expensive.

I think you'll get this information during orientation.
 
So I was just looking at the website, and I can't really find any information on this so I thought I'd ask here: how does parking on campus work for vet students? Is there a specific parking lot and do you have to buy a parking pass? I'm sorry if this is information they will send to us later!!

Also, I know earlier in the thread people were recommending living southwest of campus, but are there any specific apartment complexes/leasing companies you would recommend or would definitely not recommend?
Thanks so much 🙂
As for apartments, it depends on how much you want to spend/ if you want a roommate, that sort of thing, one bedroom apartments can range from 500-900
 
So I was just looking at the website, and I can't really find any information on this so I thought I'd ask here: how does parking on campus work for vet students? Is there a specific parking lot and do you have to buy a parking pass? I'm sorry if this is information they will send to us later!!

Also, I know earlier in the thread people were recommending living southwest of campus, but are there any specific apartment complexes/leasing companies you would recommend or would definitely not recommend?
Thanks so much 🙂

I live about 3 miles north of campus and haven't had any problems. I'm not a vet student yet, but on the occasions I've gone to the vet school I just take the "backroads" via Lakeview and it's an easy drive. So I don't think living SW of campus is a must. You can get a single bedroom at the Links for about 560-580 at the cheapest but you're responsible for all utilities. I've lived here about a year and haven't had any issues. The complex is nice and isn't chock-full of undergrads like most places (there are several middle aged and elderly couples here). They do allow small pets for a deposit and small increase to montly rent.

Unless you like loud partiers, I wouldn't recommend the student apartments off campus. My experience with student apartments was terrible. Lots of lost sleep and frustration came from that.
 
@RaccoonMama
Apartment hunting was a struggle for me. There were certain items (w/d and dishwasher) that I was not willing to negotiate on and I really wanted covered/garage parking but was willing to forgo that as needed (plus needed to be cat friendly.) Basically champagne wants with a beer budget made apartment hunting difficult! By no means do you have to live on the southwest side, I was just commenting that I am happy that I ended up on that side as I can make it to school in 5 minutes, avoid road construction and/or driving thru main campus.

I have made several long distance moves (FL to IN and FL to KS) and this one was the shortest distance (KS to OK) and also the worst. I ended up leasing a duplex and at move in it was so dirty I cannot begin to describe the filth! Luckily my mother and I had come ahead of moving my stuff to clean the place but this place needed WAY more cleaning that what we could have imaged. We ended up spending three full days cleaning the place, painting the inside of the cabinets, replacing toilet seats as they were so soaked in pee (YUK) and basically cleaning the place from top to bottom. While I am angry that the management company rented me the unit in the first place, I can say they at least tried to resolve the situation. They put in new carpet and vinyl flooring which really helped and offered to send a cleaning crew which I declined. And luckily I have not had a bug issue which was my fear when I first move in. All in all, the "dirty duplex" has been working out and I even renewed my lease for next year but it was definitely a rough couple of days in the beginning while cleaning the place and during the first months waiting for roaches and spiders to get me. 😉 Which thankfully never occurred!

Below are some of the places I toured and my thoughts on them during apartment hunting. Please take with grain of salt!
Stillwater residents! Please add in comments if I have misrepresented a complex as that is not my intention!

Squire's Landing Lakeside Apartments: The unit I was shown had carpet in kitchen and bathrooms. And that was the "updated" unit. Since I have cats I was to get a non-updated unit as those are their "pet friendly" units.

Fifty One: This is where I almost ended up if I had not decided to drive around for a few more minutes prior to leaving town that day in March. The unit was much smaller than I wanted and I didn't need the granite counter tops and such. Plus it was over my budget.

Chapel Ridge: Did not realize that the rental price I had found online had income restrictions and that the real rent was $200 a month more. The place was okay but for the money was not the best value in my opinion.

The Enclave: apartment was okay, hit all the major points though again smaller than I would like and parking looked to be a problem. Also over my budget

I'm sure I toured others but these are the ones I remember!
Over all, I would say that biggest thing I learned from touring is that the photos/websites are a facade. For the most part, the actual apartments did not look as nice as the photos at all!




​
 
Covered parking will not happen unless you get a house or duplex with a car port or garage...

I haven't been in town lately, but The Links will have washer/dryer in unit. I don't think there was a dishwasher. Only loved there a year (in 2006!!) so that's all I can say.
 
Covered parking will not happen unless you get a house or duplex with a car port or garage...

I haven't been in town lately, but The Links will have washer/dryer in unit. I don't think there was a dishwasher. Only loved there a year (in 2006!!) so that's all I can say.
There is a dishwasher now. 🙂 I think I saw somewhere that the Enclave had some covered parking/individual garages but I could be wrong. Very pricy of course.
 
I've lived in Stillwater for 3 years now, and rain aside, I've only had a time where I wished I had covered parking maybe once or twice. It's not that big of a deal.

I know Prime Place (student living apartment complex-pretty cheap but pretty loud), for one, has a garage, but navigating the garage is a nightmare because of the sheer number of spots. So while they have covered parking, the number of door dings are insane.
 
This is all very helpful, thanks so much!! I think after 4 years of being an undergrad living in undergrad housing I'm ready to get a quieter nicer apartment haha
I would recommend staying away from some of the bigger apartment complexes- Avenue East, Prime Place, Progress405, and The Reserves are all louder apartments with mainly students in them.

I currently live in Progress405 and different buildings have different volumes- my building is mainly 1 bedrooms and it's not too loud, but other buildings are very loud, especially on Thursday nights. It's also more expensive (I got a really good deal on my 1 bedroom but normally it's closer to $960 which is insane)- so after next year I'm going to try to find somewhere quieter/ cozier on the southwest side of campus so I can be closer/ more adult like.
 
I've lived in Stillwater for 3 years now, and rain aside, I've only had a time where I wished I had covered parking maybe once or twice. It's not that big of a deal.

I know Prime Place (student living apartment complex-pretty cheap but pretty loud), for one, has a garage, but navigating the garage is a nightmare because of the sheer number of spots. So while they have covered parking, the number of door dings are insane.
I lived in Prime Place last year. Bumpers were detached on a daily basis. They flooded my apartment by messing something up with their construction, promised reimbursement, and when I brought it up around the beginning of the month they told me I was lying (that they said they would reimburse me) and said they would never say that. They flooded the basement a second time but thankfully it didn't make it into my apartment. Alssooo, my upstairs neighbor didn't believe in sleep and marched back and forth with her lead feet 1-6 AM and partied Thursday-Sunday. In other words, don't live here. :annoyed:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I get in off the waitlist I fully intend on living in Guthrie with one of my friends. I know it's a bit of a drive to Stillwater but I don't want to live with people I don't know and I don't want to be completely isolated from people I know. Did that in undergrad and was not amused.

Maybe second semester or second year I would move to Stillwater but not initially. My preference in Stillwater would defiently be one of the houses just south of the vet school. Drove through the neighborhood and it is very nice. Second preference would be a trailer house somewhere in the country. Only after those two options are exhausted would I consider an apartment.

I have also heard that for 4th year students have to live within a certain driving time of the school. Can any current or past students varify that?
 
Should I get in off the waitlist I fully intend on living in Guthrie with one of my friends. I know it's a bit of a drive to Stillwater but I don't want to live with people I don't know and I don't want to be completely isolated from people I know. Did that in undergrad and was not amused.

Maybe second semester or second year I would move to Stillwater but not initially. My preference in Stillwater would defiently be one of the houses just south of the vet school. Drove through the neighborhood and it is very nice. Second preference would be a trailer house somewhere in the country. Only after those two options are exhausted would I consider an apartment.

I have also heard that for 4th year students have to live within a certain driving time of the school. Can any current or past students varify that?
Oh man. I couldn't imagine doing that drive twice a day. More power to you!!
 
Oh man. I couldn't imagine doing that drive twice a day. More power to you!!

Oh I know. If I get in I and try it I might decide to move to Stillwater just to avoid the drive. Currently my drive is 6 mins from home to work so it'll certainly be a change! I don't know I guess I have until June before I have to decide!
 
Oh I know. If I get in I and try it I might decide to move to Stillwater just to avoid the drive. Currently my drive is 6 mins from home to work so it'll certainly be a change! I don't know I guess I have until June before I have to decide!
For long, repetitive driving audiobooks are amazing! I was driving between Stillwater and Tulsa/Muskogee very often the beginning of this semester and audiobooks kept me sane. 👍