Old Roommate Causing Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxwell Smart99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The prof already has his reservations about you even if they were false, just ask someone else for a recommendation.

Reactions: 1 user
What would I do?

Serve him with papers for a defamation lawsuit. It's the only way to put dinguses in line.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to XmedBarney. It works and it's rewarding on a visceral level. You know what they say about evil triumphing.

For me, it made an awesome essay story. So can it for you!

I know that I shouldn't use this professor and already have other writers.
The problem is I don't know who else he has talked to, since he's already talked to more people than I think a normal/sane person would.

The people you want writing your recs won't take the word of a loon at face value. You shouldn't worry about the "damage" he did to people who matter.

Reactions: 1 users
The people you want writing your recs won't take the word of a loon at face value. You shouldn't worry about the "damage" he did to people who matter.
I wouldn't worry, but I knew the professor longer than this other guy, and had a pretty good rapport with him. He still took the word of a loon without even giving me a chance to explain what happened. The guy doesn't know my other two professors and the supervisor knows the guy's claim is crazy, so they're all safe.
Unfortunately, I think he knows the people who write the committee letter, that's mostly what I'm worried about.
Doing something like slandering me during his interview, because he's already demonstrated he doesn't understand proper/professional boundaries.

I totally agree with this, but unfortunately you never know who will and won't trust this kind of gossip. OP is probably lucky that the professor refused to write a letter instead of just writing a bad one.

If it were me, this situation would definitely discolor my opinion of the friend rather than the OP. It would totally turn me off for someone to bring up personal disputes in what should be a professional setting, but obviously not everyone feels that way.

This doesn't seem to fully add up. This professor you had a good rapport with won't write you a letter because of an "event" he heard about...and you think this event was somebody told somebody else that you were being condescending at a job where the professor never directly worked with you? And because of this through-the-grapevine talk this professor now doesn't even want to contact you...it just sounds like there is more to this.

Anyways, you need to confront it head on. If you're worried everybody is gonna sink your LORs because of a rumor one guy started, then you should just bring up the situation with the professors you are talking to. Ask them if they talked to your friend. Hell, I would ask that first professor for an explanation about what event he is talking about. "Don't contact me" sounds pretty harsh; "I can't write you a strong letter" would be reasonable for something like this.

Reactions: 1 users
OP stole my user name. He must not be trusted.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for the ambiguity in the first post.
Having thought about it a little more and read some replies, I think I will just wait to see if it comes up during the committee interviews.
Thanks for the good advice.
Thanks for the sarcastic comments, because they helped me find humor in this situation.

Last edited: