older applicants........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smedly2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband is preparing to take the DAT this summer. He's 31 y/o and graduated from college in 1998. My question is ...do the college credits not transfer after a certain number of years pass???? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about it too much... Most schools don't care how old your grades are.

A classmate of mine was an avionics engineer with Boeing for 10 years before he applied and got accepted into my class. :D

Just Do It!

I know that some schools will require you to retake courses if it has been more than 5 years since graduation. I graduated in 96 and ran into some difficulties when I applied for this fall. They wanted me to retake this and that but I was able to convince them that it was unnecessary since I did so well on the DAT's. I did however, have to take Biochemistry since it was now a requirement (It was optional back then when I graduated).

I also think that private schools are more forgiving than public schools when it comes to course requirements.
Good luck!
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for you replies.
Biochem is now required! At all dental schools or just some??

Is 31 really up there in age for dental students?
3.0-3.1 GPA really low or average?
He has been a dental assistant for a few years with a xray license, will this help reguarding admissions?
Also, his sister is a dentist...will that help?

thanks

Most dental schools have biochem integrated into their curriculum because it's tested on the National Boards Part I.

I entered dental school at age 30. My classmate the engineer entered dental school at 33. (then again, my class is the "oldest" my school has seen in a while, with a disproportionate number of students over 30.) Your husband will still have a good long career ahead of him as a dentist that's for sure.

And yes, having been a dental assistant with an x-ray license will indeed help quite a bit (and a sister who is a dentist too)-- It shows the adcoms your husband is familiar with the profession and knows what he is getting into.

Good luck!

In order:

1) No
2) G.P.A. = average. With a good DAT, he may get some interviews.
3) Yes
4) Yes
Q's 3 & 4 pertain to experienc with the dental field and
profession: They speak to the motivation of the applicant.
All qualifications are considered along with the numbers
(DAT & G.P.A.).

I believe it is a requirement for most schools now (contact schools of interest to be sure)
No, I'm 29 and have met other students at interviews that were 35+.
3.0-3.1 is ok. A good DAT score will put him in a better position.
yes
yes

now I'm curious, why doesn't your husband post himself? :confused:

Damn, a minute too slow :p

He should post, but once he gets on the computer ...thats it. From ebay to motorcycles he's lost for hours.
Once he takes the dat he'll probably be more interested in these type of sites.

I should do some research before posting questions but you guys probably know the answers so I'll ask.
How competitive are the Philly schools (penn and Temple)? And NJ ? Are these possible with an average GPA and great dat. Years ago when his sister took it the lowest score she got was a 26 ...29 on the reading part. I am guessing this is pretty hard to get, but thats what he's shooting for. Do you think he has to that well considering his gpa and age?

I would not worry about the age, I am currently 31 and starting school this year. And there are a quite a few older classmates of mine as well, I was quite surprised. And I agree with the above posters in that the experience will help. Good luck. if you are really worried about the schools accepting earlier credits, just call the schools that he interested in applying to and ask them. Then you will know for sure and rest easy. Just a thought

Like everyone else has said, his age is irrevelant. I am 29 and will be starting as a D1 next month.

I did research on 10 -15 schools in the eastern half of the US before applying last year. The only school that I saw that requires all core courses to be less than 5 years old is Univ. of Tenn. The Univ. of Indiana requires Biochem.

If possible, he should try to take some upper level science courses and get A's. One, high grades will boost his GPA a little. And, two he can get some good rec. letters from recent faculty members.

With his GPA / time off he needs to shoot for 20+ on the DAT. If he does as good as his sister he can probably pick where he wants to go.

Good Luck to you both.

Hi,

Philly schools could go from average competitiveness to Ivy League. Penn, for example is very difficult to get in, Temple I would say is middle and Pittsburgh is on the low side.

Cheers.

I'm 35 and applying for 2004
I'm going to make 35+ club here hehe
good luck to you guys!

Originally posted by smedly2
thanks for you replies.
Biochem is now required! At all dental schools or just some??

Biochem is only REQUIRED at a select few dental schools. It is accepted at ALL dental schools as a way to fulfill biology/physiology requirements (usually 8 credits), however.