This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chomuballer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here. Currently entering D3 year. I took my CBSE in Feb, scored a 65, my class rank is among the top 5% in the class. What are my chances (considering a 3.1 undergrad GPA) for 4 or 6 year programs?

Another question I have is, how do they calculate your undergrad GPA, is it the same as AADSAS or AMCAS, where anything you retake is averaged rather than replaced? Or do they just ask for undergrad transcripts. Depending on this my undergrad GPA could vary because of some retakes and improved performance later in college my GPA on my transcript is higher due to grade replacements but was always around 3.1 on AADSAS due to the way it was calculated.

Also I completed a masters program in biomedical sciences prior to dental school where I held a 4.0 GPA. Does this factor in at all?

Thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

New member here. Currently entering D3 year. I took my CBSE in Feb, scored a 65, my class rank is among the top 5% in the class. What are my chances (considering a 3.1 undergrad GPA) for 4 or 6 year programs?

Another question I have is, how do they calculate your undergrad GPA, is it the same as AADSAS or AMCAS, where anything you retake is averaged rather than replaced? Or do they just ask for undergrad transcripts. Depending on this my undergrad GPA could vary because of some retakes and improved performance later in college my GPA on my transcript is higher due to grade replacements but was always around 3.1 on AADSAS due to the way it was calculated.

Also I completed a masters program in biomedical sciences prior to dental school where I held a 4.0 GPA. Does this factor in at all?

Thank you all for your help!
JP?

I think you have a good chance of matching into either a four or six year program with your class rank. Your CBSE meets the cut-off and should be fine. I don’t think you need to retake it the CBSE, just keep your class rank strong.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a good chance of matching into either a four or six year program with your class rank. Your CBSE meets the cut-off and should be fine. I don’t think you need to retake it the CBSE, just keep your class rank strong.

Thanks for your feedback! So my CBSE is not a passing score for step 1, despite that you don't think I should retake? Not doubting your expert opinion but just wondering.

Also, any idea on how they're factoring in undergraduate GPA?

Thanks for your feedback! So my CBSE is not a passing score for step 1, despite that you don't think I should retake? Not doubting your expert opinion but just wondering.

Also, any idea on how they're factoring in undergraduate GPA?
I don't think anyone cares about undergrad. Only a few programs I applied to even asked for it. FWIW I had your exact same CBSE score and similar class rank and had plenty of invites. You will be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone cares about undergrad. Only a few programs I applied to even asked for it. FWIW I had your exact same CBSE score and similar class rank and had plenty of invites. You will be fine!

Thanks! Glad to hear that.

what was your undergrad gpa though? some programs don't make a big deal out of it if it's good enough. my understanding is that because of the involvement of the med school adcom, undergrad gpa matters for 6yrs.

I kind of disagree and feel you should attempt the CBSE again if you have ability to. It'll open more doors if you can at least hit 70. If your class rank is that high, you should be able to demonstrate that you can pass the Step 1. A 65 is just below a pass.

Also, a fair number of the 6y programs will look at your UG transcript. How much emphasis they put on it varies.

A 65 is okay. There are programs with a "cut off" higher than that for reason you already mentioned. It is not a passing Step 1 score.
Average CBSE for our interview group last year was 76.5. Average applicant CBSE was 68.8
Depending on the 6 year program the medical school may have heavy to zero influence on the rank or interview list.
Class rank is great but around 45% of our applicants no longer have a class rank or grades. Therefore, the CBSE becomes even more important with every dental school going to this system.
Yes your masters factors in. Everything is a factor.

Reactions: 2 users
around 45% of our applicants no longer have a class rank or grades.

I wonder what the reason is behind this since the majority of dental schools to my knowledge still rank their students.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder what the reason is behind this since the majority of dental schools to my knowledge still rank their students.

A large portion of applicants are coming from schools like Harvard, UCLA, and Columbia that have no rankings.

Versus schools like mine, Loma Linda, for example only 3 of us are even applying compared to many many more at those schools.

45% does seem high though.

Hi all, ended up retaking this August. Scored a 85 on the CBSE. Considering the current CBSE, top 5% class rank but low undergrad GPA with some failed courses, Master's GPA 4.0 (Biomedical Sciences MS) what chance do I have at 6 year programs? Which ones do I have a better shot at than others?

Some of the big guns I am aiming for are: Shreveport, Michigan, MGH, Jacksonville.
Others: Case western, Ascension

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, ended up retaking this August. Scored a 85 on the CBSE. Considering the current CBSE, top 5% class rank but low undergrad GPA with some failed courses, Master's GPA 4.0 (Biomedical Sciences MS) what chance do I have at 6 year programs? Which ones do I have a better shot at than others?

Some of the big guns I am aiming for are: Shreveport, Michigan, MGH, Jacksonville.
Others: Case western, Ascension
With those numbers you should have a strong chance literally anywhere.