omfs residents with low part-1 scores.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You aren't going to see my application, Doggie Boy. I went through that process a while back.

I think it's great you scored a 98 on Part I. Nothing mediocre about that. You must have busted your buns! I want the surgeon(s) I work w/ to be excellent.

I didn't bring up the mediocre comment. My post expressed my irritation when people boast of underachievement that still led to relative success. I'm not sure that correctly inspires the future of OMFS or any other group. But I doubt your goal is inspiration of youth.

Knowing what intellectual capacity you possess, we all realize much of this thread is not about you. You should have no trouble passing Step I, if you haven't already done so. Others (mostly OMFS people--your closest colleagues) made it clear that they wish the rest of the applicants would follow your sterling example and take care of biz. It makes them look better in the eyes of the public and medical colleagues when you're scrutinized closely.

So typical of this clown. Talk out of his a$$, have it pointed out to him later he is foolish, and then back pedal.

Members don't see this ad.

So typical of this clown. Talk out of his a$$, have it pointed out to him later he is foolish, and then back pedal.

If you tell me, Mr. CrossHairs, that you got a 98 on boards I would tell you "nice job" whether I feel you're an idiot or not. I didn't backpedal on my earlier statements. Doggie and Yah-E spoke like putzes earlier, so I said so.

I only congratulated the guy because of the true effort it takes to score such a high score. That's what we should be encouraging the younger ones to do--work hard and play hard. Balanced life. I've said this all along.

I thought his last post was great. No putz talk there.

Well said, OMFS Master. Yah-E and Doggie, please look up and study the following word: p-u-t-z. Putz. So many of its definitions apply to the *****ic way you two scribbled out your thoughts on this thread. But here's my favorite: A putz is a numbnuts who hasn't a clue that s/he is so so so very dumb or clueless.

Your casual way of glorifying underachievment that still leads to "success" is regrettable. You set the bar low for other OMFS hopefuls, in my opinion.

Hey dude it is a universal fact that people with high scores may not be so skillful and people with great skills may not excel in your theoritical knowledge.If you choose in betweeen you end up with average or above average people making the HIGHEST group of OMFS.Given the fact that exceptions do arise which you guys are unable to accept that only very few people are gifted in both ways.I have never seen a man who is perfect and doing each and every aspect of challenging surgeries.There are certain limitations to every surgeon and no one thinks that he is masking his underachievements in that aspect of surgery by excelling in others.so dude stop cribbing about high scores and start to believe in other persons capabilites.

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't going to see my application, Doggie Boy. I went through that process a while back.

I think it's great you scored a 98 on Part I. Nothing mediocre about that. You must have busted your buns! I want the surgeon(s) I work w/ to be excellent.

I didn't bring up the mediocre comment. My post expressed my irritation when people boast of underachievement that still led to relative success. I'm not sure that correctly inspires the future of OMFS or any other group. But I doubt your goal is inspiration of youth.

Knowing what intellectual capacity you possess, we all realize much of this thread is not about you. You should have no trouble passing Step I, if you haven't already done so. Others (mostly OMFS people--your closest colleagues) made it clear that they wish the rest of the applicants would follow your sterling example and take care of biz. It makes them look better in the eyes of the public and medical colleagues when you're scrutinized closely.

I think you are misleading the thread.When doggie said that he had low gpa there were statements like the bar has been set low.when you came to know about his scores you are congratulating him.Dude that is perfectly double standard thinking.I congratulate doggie for setting an example to guys thinking like you that people at sometimes because of various reasons might not be able to perform to their efficiency and that alone cannot be counted in to consideration for eliminating him from doing OMFS.I hope people like you should not be in the interview panel.

Hey dude it is a universal fact that people with high scores may not be so skillful and people with great skills may not excel in your theoritical knowledge.If you choose in betweeen you end up with average or above average people making the HIGHEST group of OMFS.Given the fact that exceptions do arise which you guys are unable to accept that only very few people are gifted in both ways.I have never seen a man who is perfect and doing each and every aspect of challenging surgeries.There are certain limitations to every surgeon and no one thinks that he is masking his underachievements in that aspect of surgery by excelling in others.so dude stop cribbing about high scores and start to believe in other persons capabilites.

I agree w/ what you're saying. I also agree w/ what you said earlier (I know the drill how selection of residents goes.What i believe is your selection does not entirely depend on scores.I believe there are other qualities and characters on which the selection depends)

I only refer you to what your colleagues (Ruska, Wendell, SuperTrooper...)said about this entire discussion. Increase your chances of getting in by getting higher scores. Higher scores are correlated w/ passing Step I the first time. That's what the research shows. That's the gist of this thread.

I think you are misleading the thread.When doggie said that he had low gpa there were statements like the bar has been set low.when you came to know about his scores you are congratulating him.Dude that is perfectly double standard thinking.I congratulate doggie for setting an example to guys thinking like you that people at sometimes because of various reasons might not be able to perform to their efficiency and that alone cannot be counted in to consideration for eliminating him from doing OMFS.I hope people like you should not be in the interview panel.

No worries, Mickey. I won't be on your panel. Other fair-minded people will. They'll do their best to select the best residents they can find.

Doggie didn't explain his entire situation when I said I felt he was setting the bar low for OMFS hopefuls. He and Yah-E were talking about the glory of drinking beer and getting low-to-average grades. That's not terribly inspiring to anyone. Not to OMFS hopefuls nor to program directors.

If he had a 3.0 and an 85, got in and was bragging about it, I would argue he was must have had outstanding other factors in his favor. When I discovered he got a 98 I was impressed, as I would be of you if you scored similarly.

Relax, Mickey. I'm not telling anyone they can't specialize w/o impeccable credentials. We're all imperfect. We just do the best we can.

I agree w/ what you're saying. I also agree w/ what you said earlier (I know the drill how selection of residents goes.What i believe is your selection does not entirely depend on scores.I believe there are other qualities and characters on which the selection depends)

I only refer you to what your colleagues (Ruska, Wendell, SuperTrooper...)said about this entire discussion. Increase your chances of getting in by getting higher scores. Higher scores are correlated w/ passing Step I the first time. That's what the research shows. That's the gist of this thread.

Dude you high scoring geeks have taken this thread totally off the track.I started this thread thinking that this thread is going to boost people spirits who have applied to the OMFS programs with average and above average scores.I have an experience of 7 years in OMFS and iam currently trying for the program.I did a 2 year omfs program by which iam not satisfied and i am willing to do it again.I am definitely confident that i can do better surgeries in some aspects than you high scoring geeks.I have been reading so many negative threads,i really do not know what sort of surgeons they really become or they are.Please read my initial starter of the thread.This reply is not just for you it is for all high part-1 scorers who think that below 90 scorers set the low standards.

I congratulate doggie for setting an example to guys thinking like you that people at sometimes because of various reasons might not be able to perform to their efficiency and that alone cannot be counted in to consideration for eliminating him from doing OMFS.

The Professional Jackass strikes again....:smuggrin:

I agree with you completely.

That's why I love touting the fact that I did less than stellar job in undergrad to only have people like vorosvirag realize that I have just schooled them at their own game.

And please......let's not use me as an example in your conversations. Let's focus the attention back to Yah-E. :D

Let's focus the attention back to Yah-E. :D

How did I get in middle of this?

All I know is, when given the opportunity, never take it for granted and work hard. Learn from you mistakes and focus on tomorrow. :thumbup:

I know alot of people who did exceptionally well in undergrad would like to think that somehow such an acomplishment is important. It isn't, and OMFS is one of many examples. I went to an excellent (top 15) private university and had many friends with a sub 3.0 GPA who went on to become navy pilots, investment bankers, traders, surgeons, orthodontists, etc. My point? The purpose of undergrad is to discover yourself, your talents, interests, as well as explore areas that are not your true interests or passions. Many people, including myself, learned more valuable information that dictated my future outside of the classroom. Doing poorly in undergrad in no way limits anyone from further education, training or potential careers. How else is one to discover their talents without discovering their deficiencies? For some people, the only thing they got from college was a great GPA, no social skills and a feeling that a high GPA somehow reflects intelligence. For others they graduate college with a lower GPA, more motivation and a much better vision of what they are to become.

I went to an excellent (top 15) private university and had many friends with a sub 3.0 GPA who went on to become navy pilots, investment bankers, traders, surgeons, orthodontists, etc.
Surgeons? I seriously doubt you know many strictly-MD surgeons who had a sub 3.0 GPA in college. Even the least competetive medical schools in the US have their cut-offs you know. A post-bac can only do so much...

Doing poorly in undergrad in no way limits anyone from further education.
Of course, it depends on what you mean by further education; if you're talking about getting a degree from Devry or the University of Phoenix, I'd agree. But I think you'd be somewhat less competetive if you wanted to get into some PhD program with a sub 3.0 college gpa.

How else is one to discover their talents without discovering their deficiencies?.
Come on now. Deficiencies? :rolleyes: :laugh:

Doing poorly in undergrad in no way limits anyone from further education, training or potential careers.

I think everyone here knows this isn't true. We all knew people who tried but didn't get into dental or medical school because of undergrad grades. You must not have interviewed for post-doc residencies yet. True, most don't care, but also true, below a 3.5 will have your application out the door at a few programs (admittedly, those programs suck for other reasons then this, but nonetheless, your choices are more limited.)

You must not have interviewed for post-doc residencies yet.

You are right, for OMFS there are few dual degree programs that care about GPA and from what I experienced last year during the application process, those programs suck for other reasons. Undergrad GPA is maybe 4th behind boards, dental school rank (if your school ranks), letters of recommendation and externships, at least at the good programs. I know of a bunch of guys I interviewed with last year for OMFS (all 6 year programs) who were around 3.0 undergrad GPA and, to my knowledge, they all matched. I mean really, what is undergrad GPA going to predict once someone has demonstrated academic resilience and maturity in dental school? And by the way, I only applied to 6 year programs, was granted 26 or so interviews and matched to my number 1.

You are right, for OMFS there are few dual degree programs that care about GPA and from what I experienced last year during the application process, those programs suck for other reasons. Undergrad GPA is maybe 4th behind boards, dental school rank (if your school ranks), letters of recommendation and externships, at least at the good programs. I know of a bunch of guys I interviewed with last year for OMFS (all 6 year programs) who were around 3.0 undergrad GPA and, to my knowledge, they all matched. I mean really, what is undergrad GPA going to predict once someone has demonstrated academic resilience and maturity in dental school? And by the way, I only applied to 6 year programs, was granted 26 or so interviews and matched to my number 1.

I had a 2.7 in undergrad and got interviews everywhere I applied. It really doesn't matter unless you want to go to Harvard or UCSF. The unfortunate thing is that most 6 year programs grid you on your board scores and class rank. If you aren't up to snuff, you don't get an interview. I am sure the better four year programs do this as well but I really don't know since I didn't apply to any.

Incidentally, how many of the 26 interviews did you attend?

In the end--regardless of your scores--you'll get in if you're persistent. I guess that might not be true if you scored a 77 and have no cortex at all. I've gotten to know several interns who told me their board scores (OK but not great) and overall situation. They all matched the 2nd year. So, do your best and know that things will work out in the end. Just keep at it if you don't match the first year. It's worth holding out if you want to do OMFS.

I dunno? Maybe it was that "my OMFS journey" thread. :p

That thing was like Homers "Iliad".....looooong and just bizarre at times. I made alot of money selling the Cliff Notes to Yahe's "my OMFS journey". I was so glad that NO took him because that thread would have had another year run...

That thing was like Homers "Iliad".....looooong and just bizarre at times. I made alot of money selling the Cliff Notes to Yahe's "my OMFS journey". I was so glad that NO took him because that thread would have had another year run...

I would've started a "Parkland year of fun journey" on cleaning up Doggie's poop, washing Extraction's car, and trimming Toofache's flower garden in his front and backyard because I would've been their 1-year intern. :laugh:

BTW Esclavo, shouldn't I get a percentage of your profit selling my bibliography? ;)

I would've started a "Parkland year of fun journey" on cleaning up Doggie's poop, washing Extraction's car, and trimming Toofache's flower garden in his front and backyard because I would've been their 1-year intern. :laugh:

BTW Esclavo, shouldn't I get a percentage of your profit selling my bibliography? ;)

I lost money and my sanity....