OMG! I wanna crawl into a hole right now!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilez428

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized I royally shot myself in the foot here! WHile trying to log onto the MCV secondary site, I kept getting the message "Your AAMC ID and/or PIN are incorrect" After about 6 tries, I decided to verify for myself that I wasn't crazy. As it turns out, I am. I've been carrying around a piece of paper with my AAMC ID number on it, so when I go to release my LORs and stuff I don't have to run to the computer lab. Well, I went back to my AMCAS and lo and behold: that damn little paper had an error on it! I reversed the last two digits of my freakin ID number. I gave the wrong number to my health professions office, so the wrong number went out on all of my letters of rec.... and on about half of my secondaries.... i've emailed my HPO and all of the schools that i've sent stuff to to have the error fixed. can someone judge how screwed i am right now? i really want to just crawl in a hole and die! this whole process was going fine. i wanna cry, i really do.
this is gonna sound super stupid- but please please please don't reply with any mean sarcasm- i just might start bawling. :( :( :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

seriously, you might be screwed unless you make sure you contact EACH school you applied to.

But if you do that then i forsee no major problems, other than a little delay in processing.

g'luck to you in this dreadful process

i did contact each school that I've applied to...thing that sucks is that it's friday...so i have to live with this freakin nightmare until monday at the least. i just feel like such a loser....after all the work i've done...this is what's gonna screw me over????

Members don't see this ad :)
you're human, and humans make mistakes! don't freak out, things will go fine. You just have to make sure that your app does not get delayed in the whole bargain, so you need to make sure that you stay on the ball about this issue.

1. Call AAMC and ask them to document this ON YOUR FILE. Send them a letter establishing the same. This is going to help as "proof" in case schools later don't accept your word for it.

2. Call EACH SCHOOL that has your secondary and let them know this has happened. Also send them a letter stating the same. Mark it URGENT or something on the envelope. Make sure you get the names of secretaries AT EACH SCHOOL and establish a good relationship with him/her so you can call him/her up every week to make sure things are sorted out.

YOU ARE GOING TO NEED HELP BIGTIME FROM ALL THESE SECRETARIES. DO NOT CROSS THEM. Thank them, be patient, don't freak out. . . explain the situation and let them know you are doing everything to rectify it. Ask them if you can have their name to use to make sure your file has the right and complete info.

3. Keep a folder of each letter that you sent ot each school and each AMCAS. On each letter, state that you had spoken to XYZ on DATE ABC about the problem, and this is a letter as written documentation.

4. How did you send in LORs??? Do you have a Center of Career svcs or somethign at your school?? I have had my LOR people write the ID on the LOR, but I know for a fact that my Center for Career SVCS also attaches a separate sheet in the front with the info you give them when you set up the file originally. Perhaps you can find out if your school does the same.

IF INDEED your school writing service does the same thing, then you're in luck. Med schools will pick up on the fact that there are two different IDs on your app and search for the right one from the AMCAS app.

Relax, this is not hte end of the world. Although you are in a tough situation right now, it could have been a lot worse. You could have never found out about this, and your whole app could have been delayed and WORSE--you wouldn't have known WHY. You have plenty of time on your hands, use it to make the ammends. :) Good luck!!! :)

no worries..things will be ok. just call the schools on monday...im sure they will be happy to change it for you

Whoa.... hold on. I don't think you're screwed unless you do as Mr. H said and contact each school. I would call the schools and ask them what you should do given the situation. They'll probably tell you to send all of them a letter explaining the error or to just resend the info. Chances are, with your name, they'll be able to or were already able to match your papers to your application even though your ID# was wrong. I'm sure it's happened before. I really don't think that they would not give you a secondary or an interview just because of that.(If that's what you're worried about) Just make sure you contact them ASAP. After all, they won't do any processing over the weekend so you really shouldn't be behind at all. I had all sorts of problems when I applied. Some of my classes were deleted and my PS was truncated when I submitted my AMCAS. I thought the world was over but it all turned out okay. I got tons of secondaries, no problem and am going to UCLA in three days!!! You'll see that thing will work out okay. Just call the schools and ask what you should do. What's done is done. All you can do now is fix it. Cheer up!!!

Originally posted by smilez428
i did contact each school that I've applied to...thing that sucks is that it's friday...so i have to live with this freakin nightmare until monday at the least. i just feel like such a loser....after all the work i've done...this is what's gonna screw me over????

dude,
Use the entire weekend to draft the letters! Print em out, stash em in the envelopes and get ready to be sent out. Call em up Monday and let em know the letters are already printed. USE THE TIME!!!

Did you put your last name on the letters? If yes, do not worry much. I sent a few letters without that number and so far all schools received them, including letters of recommendations. However, to make sure, you would probably need to contact the schools and see what they got and what got lost. (You can send the same e-mail to all your schools, it should not take long)

:laugh: :laugh:
I love posts like these.

Don't worry about it man, it will work out.

i'm glad my post has made someone laugh...... i'd laugh at me too, flipping out over something like this. i've emailed all of the admissions offices at the schools i've applied to thus far, so i'll wait til monday to see what they say.

it's frustrating to make such a stupid mistake. (hopefully that was my one mistake for the process...i mean god, I've had my MCAT scores delivered to the wrong house, my freakin mailbox stolen twice already, i just don't know where it will end....)

thank you guys for all the support! :) when you panic, you just need someone to tell you what to do :) i should read my own signature sometimes......

okay, it feels good to laugh about this now :laugh: :laugh: it will all work out. :)

Originally posted by smilez428
I just realized I royally shot myself in the foot here! WHile trying to log onto the MCV secondary site, I kept getting the message "Your AAMC ID and/or PIN are incorrect" After about 6 tries, I decided to verify for myself that I wasn't crazy. As it turns out, I am. I've been carrying around a piece of paper with my AAMC ID number on it, so when I go to release my LORs and stuff I don't have to run to the computer lab. Well, I went back to my AMCAS and lo and behold: that damn little paper had an error on it! I reversed the last two digits of my freakin ID number. I gave the wrong number to my health professions office, so the wrong number went out on all of my letters of rec.... and on about half of my secondaries.... i've emailed my HPO and all of the schools that i've sent stuff to to have the error fixed. can someone judge how screwed i am right now? i really want to just crawl in a hole and die! this whole process was going fine. i wanna cry, i really do.
this is gonna sound super stupid- but please please please don't reply with any mean sarcasm- i just might start bawling. :( :( :( :( :(

Hey smilez... When I submitted my AMCAS, I entered the wrong zip code for my preferred address by one digit... didn't realize it until by accident almost three weeks later. I felt like a baffoon but, ya know what, you'll see that things will work out okay.

I'm sure many the admissions folk are used to people making mistakes like these. :) Remember, they probably match applications by SSN# and name as well.

CHeer up!! :) :) it's a minor error, and will soon be corrected, if you notify the adcoms. :)

smilez, i don't know if this makes you feel better (it probably won't, but i'll try anyway), but i sent 15 bucks too much to pritzker. first of all, i screwed up on their secondary (in the DUMBEST way possible..i tried to go back and change something after i had already submitted..big computer mess)...didn't get to pay online..had to submit a check instead. i didn't realize their fee was 60 and i sent 75. they already love me up there for calling all week to make sure my app was in order. now they'll see how much of an airhead i truly am.

in either case, i hope everything works out for you with all this. i'm sure it will; adcoms know it's a stressful time, and crap happens. good luck :)