On Research Papers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacazoid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm new to this site and had a question regarding the application process that I hope someone can help me with. I've been working as a researcher for the past two years and have 2 papers and a review which I have co-authored on, I don't really see anything on Pharmcas where I can list the papers I have worked on. Aside from mentioning it on my personal statement, is there any other place where I can list these papers (perhaps I missed something) ?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess not that many people have papers published......

You could try calling pharmcas and ask. But I would say published papers are on the "awards & honors" side out of anything. Its definitely an honor to be a co-author, hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation when I applied, and I only mentioned it in my personal statement. The school I decided to attend doesn't do interviews generally, so once I got in there, I stopped looking at other schools. I imagine if the schools you're applying to have interviews, that would be the best time to bring it up and show your understanding of the research.

Most interviews are them asking questions about your personal statement and application...and why you want to attend their school and what makes you stand out. I'm sure if they've read your personal statement then it'd come up. I've had a couple of friends be snooty about publishing journal articles, as if they're in the pros now because they have 2 or 3 papers published. It's a great achievement, but you have to be careful.

They forgot that some of the people that were interviewing them have also published. Don't get overconfident because you have 2 or 3 publications. Some academics I've worked with have 50+ publications, so imagine how that would play out if you come across the wrong way. Not saying you would...just be humble :)

Be humble but at the same time try to sell yourself as the ideal candidate. Its kind of a fine line I guess. True I am proud I've been published (I spent many an hour gathering data and repeating experiments.), but then again, alot of the ppl I work with are phd's or medical doctors...that in itself is a humbling experience.

I think you've got it then.