On service obligations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me exactly how the service obligation works with residency? It seems that I am hearing that your residency can change your service obligation but I am not really sure how this works. My primary interest is the Navy if that changes things. Also, how does the GMO/DMO tour factor into things?

Members don't see this ad.

Your contract is changed as soon as you agree to any additional training...ie residency, fellowship, etc.

Your obligation after training will be, at the minimum, as long as the training period itself....regardless of how much time you have served already.

militarymd said:
Your contract is changed as soon as you agree to any additional training...ie residency, fellowship, etc.

Your obligation after training will be, at the minimum, as long as the training period itself....regardless of how much time you have served already.

Wait, so if i do a 4 year HPSP and then a four year residency you are saying I will owe back 8 years total or just a minimum of 4?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus said:
Wait, so if i do a 4 year HPSP and then a four year residency you are saying I will owe back 8 years total or just a minimum of 4?

No, just 4. You serve your 4 year scholarship obligation at the same time as your 3 year residency training obligation. Unless of course you chose the navy.

Ed

edmadison said:
No, just 4. You serve your 4 year scholarship obligation at the same time as your 3 year residency training obligation. Unless of course you chose the navy.

Ed

How does the navy differ?

Cerberus said:
How does the navy differ?

After your intern year, you will be sent off on your GMO tour that will count towards your payback.

ASSUMING THE RESIDENCY IS DONE W/THE NAVY (ie not civilian)
So... 4 year scholarship =
1 intern year (doesn't count towards obligation) + x years as a GMO

4 - x = z, Your remaining obligation

If you do your residency with the Navy, your remaining committment will be the residency legth or z, whichever is greater. (on top of that intern year)

Army = no GMO (unless the planets line up against you). Math is the same. 4 year scholarship =

1 intern year + x
where x is the residency length, or 4 years, whichever is greater.

In both services, if you get deferred to the civilian side, your committment = HPSP contract length (post-residency completion)

idq1i said:
After your intern year, you will be sent off on your GMO tour that will count towards your payback.

ASSUMING THE RESIDENCY IS DONE W/THE NAVY (ie not civilian)
So... 4 year scholarship =
1 intern year (doesn't count towards obligation) + x years as a GMO

4 - x = z, Your remaining obligation

If you do your residency with the Navy, your remaining committment will be the residency legth or z, whichever is greater. (on top of that intern year)

Army doesn't have the GMO tour (subject to debate - I'm taking Col. Raines' word)

Oh, well thats awesome why do people bitch about the GMO tour if it counts as pay back time? I'd always assumed it didnt.

Cerberus said:
Oh, well thats awesome why do people bitch about the GMO tour if it counts as pay back time? I'd always assumed it didnt.

because when you do a GMO tour, you end up paying back you HPSP years and residency years separately. if you take a four year HPSP scholarship, then do a 3 year GMO tour, you only have 1 year service obligation remaining... but then if you do a 3 year residency with the navy after your GMO tour, you incur another 3 year service obligation. so when all is said and done, it takes you 6 years of active duty to fulfill all your obligations.