on vs off-campus housing: first year podiatry students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utswim531

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello again,

i was wondering if i could get some insight from pod students (particularly first years) and their experiences from living on/off campus. do you have any suggestions/advice for incoming students? would you prefer living on/off campus down the road, and why? your input is greatly appreciated! thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

hello again,

i was wondering if i could get some insight from pod students (particularly first years) and their experiences from living on/off campus. do you have any suggestions/advice for incoming students? would you prefer living on/off campus down the road, and why? your input is greatly appreciated! thank you all for your help!

I imagine that rolling out of bed and directly into the classroom is a pretty nice perk.

I imagine that rolling out of bed and directly into the classroom is a pretty nice perk.
Sorry, you are a big boy/girl now. No more hat/hair in a pony tail, sweat pants and t-shirt. I am not saying you need to be dressed to the nines, but this is professional school, act accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, you are a big boy/girl now. No more hat/hair in a pony tail, sweat pants and t-shirt. I am not saying you need to be dressed to the nines, but this is professional school, act accordingly.

I get what you're saying: dont' be a slob. But does DMU not let you wear tshirt and jeans/shorts to lecture?

its iowa. we are required to wear at least 1 form of flannel. Lee Jeans sponsors a lot of stuff and each student gets a free pair of Wolverine work boots at the start of 1st year.

Yes, jeans and t-shirt is fine, that is what everyone including myself wore. If anyone had a tie on, they usually got asked why they were dressed up

its iowa. we are required to wear at least 1 form of flannel. Lee Jeans sponsors a lot of stuff and each student gets a free pair of Wolverine work boots at the start of 1st year.

Yes, jeans and t-shirt is fine, that is what everyone including myself wore. If anyone had a tie on, they usually got asked why they were dressed up

I'm psyched to hear about the flannel. In fact if I get in I'm going to grow out my facial hair in preparation for orientation.

First of all, please don't come at me with that pompous attitude. I did not mean to literally roll out of bed and go to class like a slob. That shouldn't even be acceptable in the undergrad years. I was simply saying that there is no commute, which is convenient.

I've toured the schools and I've seen how students are dressed - casual, jeans and t-shirt, as I'd expect.

I saw one of the senior residents, after clinic hours, walk out in shorts, flip-flips, and some type of sombrero looking hat on his way to class. :laugh:

First of all, please don't come at me with that pompous attitude. I did not mean to literally roll out of bed and go to class like a slob. That shouldn't even be acceptable in the undergrad years. I was simply saying that there is no commute, which is convenient.

I've toured the schools and I've seen how students are dressed - casual, jeans and t-shirt, as I'd expect.

I saw one of the senior residents, after clinic hours, walk out in shorts, flip-flips, and some type of sombrero looking hat on his way to class. :laugh:

Believe it or not, there are people who do look at it that way. I haven't seen the 1st years that much this year, but last year I was amazed at the number of people coming to class wearing sweatpants and flip flops. And also wearing shirts that were a little too small and tight. Not surprisingly, that class had a much younger average age than mine, and most were directly out of undergrad. Just giving my personal experience.
Don't get me wrong though, if I head back to campus after 5 when I know I won't see faculty, I am the first person to wear scrubs and a sweatshirt.

Believe it or not, there are people who do look at it that way. I haven't seen the 1st years that much this year, but last year I was amazed at the number of people coming to class wearing sweatpants and flip flops. And also wearing shirts that were a little too small and tight. Not surprisingly, that class had a much younger average age than mine, and most were directly out of undergrad. Just giving my personal experience.
Don't get me wrong though, if I head back to campus after 5 when I know I won't see faculty, I am the first person to wear scrubs and a sweatshirt.

Not surprisingly eh?

it helps. and yes, you can dress like a slob if you want to. (if your school allows you to. mine doesnt care until clinic.)

but do weigh the cost of living close to the disadvantages. namely, exorbitantly high rent.

Errrr, when I was a first year and lived on campus at Temple, I was a TOTAL slob. Torn t-shirts and holey sweats, baseball cap and flip flops. Even in the winter. Who cares in class. Profs can't see you. The room is dark.

EVERYONE knows who the first years are. They stink like cadaver lab, and are disheveled because all they do is eat, sleep and study. They have that zombie look, y'know. I couldn't care less about thinking about what to wear.

Once you get into clinic, that's a whole different story, but in 1st year??? Really?? Slacks and a button down? I don't think ANYONE in my class dressed like that.

I'm glad you rephrased that as very convenient housing lol, though I didn'tthink it was too bad at all. I would recommend living near the school duringthe first year if at all possible. You'll spend a lot of time in classes,studying and making new friends. I know at least a few of the schools offeronline mediasite so you can watch lectures online and don't have to physically be in the classroom. Living on/near campus your first year or two might be the best way to limit distractions and help you perform at your highest level. Either way, don't wear sweat pants....