Once You've been accepted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anfhockey10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what people will do to prepare themselves for pharmacy school once they get accepted? I.E. taking classes similar to the ones in pharmacy school or start learning about the top 200 drugs, its generic names, common uses, and class?
I am leaning towards familiarizing myself with the top 200 drugs and I will also be working at a retail or a hospital full time prior to matriculating...I dont think there's anything more that I can do...Any thoughts? What about you guys???

Members don't see this ad.

Thats what I'm doing. I work at a pharmacy. So I occasionally look up uses of common drugs, learning brand and generic names.

I'm just going to enjoy my last semester :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy what ever your doing before you start school. You'll learn what you need in graduate school and stressing out about doing something to prepare for school before hand is just that: STRESS. If you're finishing college and have a summer off, don't worry about padding a resume, do a fun job or travel.

I will be looking for appartments and figuring out financial aid thing. I am not worrying about drugs because I will be paying the school to teach me all this stuff. So I am stressing out more about moving to a new area and state in which I have never even lived before and visited only for an interview.

I would say it is up to you, because once you start pharmacy school, there is no looking back. If you want to have fun, party, etc. and you are finished with your classes, do it because this may be your last chance. If you have been accepted to pharm school and you have satisfied their requirements, taking more classes will not impress them any longer because they can't give you anything else.

Yes, I've been working in a pharmacy for a while, but I plan to take a vacation and have some fun before I start next fall. I plan to get some bills paid too along the way by working full time and overtime if I can.

I would say it is up to you, because once you start pharmacy school, there is no looking back. If you want to have fun, party, etc. and you are finished with your classes, do it because this may be your last chance. If you have been accepted to pharm school and you have satisfied their requirements, taking more classes will not impress them any longer because they can't give you anything else.

Yes, I've been working in a pharmacy for a while, but I plan to take a vacation and have some fun before I start next fall. I plan to get some bills paid too along the way by working full time and overtime if I can.

I understand its not gonna impress the school but its gotta help you once you are in school. Lets say you take immunology or biochemistry, wouldn't it help you in pharmacy school if you had prior knowledge? I'm gonna try to familiarize myself with as many drugs as I can its not gonna hurt me to know it...Its definitely gonna help when I'm in school.

As someone whose been to med school, I'll say the further undergrad science courses will probably only help you so as to be a bit more familiar with topics in grad school. Once you have been accepted though, the work involved in taking those courses far outweighs any direct benefits you'll have in pharm school. If you're interested in those classes, take them by all means. While admirable, learning a bunch of drugs prior to pharm school (beyond your experiences as a pharm tech or similar position) is probably overkill and not likely to help much as what you'll learn in pharm school is so much more in depth than what you'll learn prior to starting. I don't mean to disuade you from your plans to get a jump start, just trying to give a realistic picture of what you'll likely be able to accomplish.

I plan on working my a$$ off so when I'm in school and can't work full time, my house doesn't go into foreclosure.

I've read some schools require you to have CPR training and Pharmacy intern license before school starts. Don't forget to do all that tedious paperwork (malpractice insurance??). Check to see if you need immunizations, TB test and the like. And file for Financial aid, even if you don't think you'll get any (Don't know how that's possible).

Definitely take care of all the admissions requirements such as the CPR training, financial aid, money, etc. When it comes to taking classes that aren't required though, why bother? For example, I've spoken to classmates that took biochemistry before they got in (its not required by UF), and they said it didn't really help them in our biochemistry course this semester. Do what you've got to do when it comes to requirements and funding, but don't take extra classes or study up on drugs. Relax and have fun if you can, because you might not have the opportunity when your semester starts.

good advice everyone!

about immunizations...

most schools require the hepB series which takes six months to complete so it would be a good idea to get started on that soon

Yay, I finally get to be a part of this thread :) I plan on taking it easy (school wise) and working as much as possible to try to have SOME money (yikes, those out of state fees are really high). Good luck to everyone :luck:

1. Enjoy my senior year in college. Thus far my undergraduate career has been amazing. Evrey one I have spoken to has told me to enjoy it as much as possible becuse there is nothing else like it. So yeah, im gonna have the time of my life.

2. Maybe, just maybe get a fun job, one that I alwys wanted but never had time for. My first real job ever was is a pharmacy, the same on I am still working in so I'm thinking about trying somthing new.

3. get cracking on that $$ aid. 37,000$ per year is not easy to by, you know?

As mentioned in other posts, there is not much we can do to prep for pharm school prior to entering other than continue working. Howver, if someone thinks of anything please share :)