One fewer pharmacy school trying to open

Started by 297point1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some news that will certainly make the folks at LIU, Touro, and St John's very happy

Stony Brook University suspends operation of pharmacy school

SBU suspends operation of pharmacy school

That is the second state-backed pharmacy program in the northeast that has failed to launch in the last three years.

I think (and I hope) that we have we finally reached the top of the growth curve.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think this is a bad time to invest in building a health professions program. What are they thinking?
Well, I can give a couple of answers..

The CHI healthcare system in Omaha and Dignity health are merging (I think Dignity might be buying - didn't read up on it).
Creighton already has a nursing program in Phoenix, and they send many 3rd and 4th year Medical students to St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix.

The main goal of the extension to Phoenix is the Medical School due to the demand for physicians (their words). There will also be Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, the Nursing Program, and then yes, the Pharmacy School. But from what I understood, they were looking to start very small and their first pharmacy class would be quite small - around 25 or so.
 
in 2006-2007 i applied to creighton, you know what their response letter said?

1)consider getting a masters degree
2) consider MORE experience in pharmacy (i was a tech since 1997! at age 18) more, really?
3) raise your PCAT score....i dont remember my exact score, but i was HIGHLY competitive and proud of it then.
on and on......worst rejection letter i ever got.....

They were said to be the BEST pharamcy school in the country at that point. I wonder if they would accept me now? lol maybe i need more experience.....I never forget how upset i was reading all that nonsense. I bet they have lowered their standards now huh? lol.
 
It is unclear if they were the best pharmacy program in Nebraska at that point.

They were touted to be the BEST in the COUNTRY....around 2006 or 2007. I had no idea when i applied. I think it was a Mormon school. They made me write 3 essays about the Mormon religion and why i should be a part of their school....blah blah. I get the shivers and feel disgusted just thinking about it....horrible people even involving religion in their academia program, especially at the entry point. They weren't the only ones of course. Palm beach Atlantic ran the same routine on me with Catholicism and wanted their 2-3 essays on unrelated junk.. What a bunch of crooks.
 
They were touted to be the BEST in the COUNTRY....around 2006 or 2007. I had no idea when i applied. I think it was a Mormon school. They made me write 3 essays about the Mormon religion and why i should be a part of their school....blah blah. I get the shivers and feel disgusted just thinking about it....horrible people even involving religion in their academia program, especially at the entry point. They weren't the only ones of course. Palm beach Atlantic ran the same routine on me with Catholicism and wanted their 2-3 essays on unrelated junk.. What a bunch of crooks.

Creighton is a Jesuit school, meaning Catholic, not Mormon.
 
Creighton is a Jesuit school, meaning Catholic, not Mormon.

Not Mormon as in : not The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (It was broadcasted this past weekend that the nickname “Mormon” shouldn’t be associated with the actual name of the church)

In case you get a million dollar question one day that’s the official declaration .
 
Last edited:
They were touted to be the BEST in the COUNTRY....around 2006 or 2007. I had no idea when i applied. I think it was a Mormon school. They made me write 3 essays about the Mormon religion and why i should be a part of their school....blah blah. I get the shivers and feel disgusted just thinking about it....horrible people even involving religion in their academia program, especially at the entry point. They weren't the only ones of course. Palm beach Atlantic ran the same routine on me with Catholicism and wanted their 2-3 essays on unrelated junk.. What a bunch of crooks.

Eh... it was never the best school in the country, but whatever...
 
I was always told Albany College of Pharmacy was the best school in the country. Later in the real world all I ever heard about was their atrocious attrition and forcing students to repeat whole years and forced to pay another 30K... Good riddance I just went to the cheapest fully accredited school I could find.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was always told Albany College of Pharmacy was the best school in the country. Later in the real world all I ever heard about was their atrocious attrition and forcing students to repeat whole years and forced to pay another 30K... Good riddance I just went to the cheapest fully accredited school I could find.

Nobody cares or even asks anymore where you went to school. Especially in retail. Thats definitely an indicator that they are not looking too hard into what you know or how good you are. Just a slab of cheaply paid meat with a license to hang on the wall. I guess my DM tries to be picky and choosy, but you never REALLY know how good a retail pharmacist will be until they are working with you for a bit. people can be deceiving.