One fewer pharmacy school trying to open

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some news that will certainly make the folks at LIU, Touro, and St John's very happy

Stony Brook University suspends operation of pharmacy school

SBU suspends operation of pharmacy school

That is the second state-backed pharmacy program in the northeast that has failed to launch in the last three years.

I think (and I hope) that we have we finally reached the top of the growth curve.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For public schools not using the UT Tyler model, that peaked around 2006. I mean places like UCSD and Texas Tech are not considered new schools anymore. State budgets are contracting as the money lost to corruption and declining tax revenue trends upward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some news that will certainly make the folks at LIU, Touro, and St John's very happy

Stony Brook University suspends operation of pharmacy school

SBU suspends operation of pharmacy school

That is the second state-backed pharmacy program in the northeast that has failed to launch in the last three years.

I think (and I hope) that we have we finally reached the top of the growth curve.
Stony Brook NY?

I think this is a bad time to invest in building a health professions program. What are they thinking?
Well, I can give a couple of answers..

The CHI healthcare system in Omaha and Dignity health are merging (I think Dignity might be buying - didn't read up on it).
Creighton already has a nursing program in Phoenix, and they send many 3rd and 4th year Medical students to St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix.

The main goal of the extension to Phoenix is the Medical School due to the demand for physicians (their words). There will also be Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, the Nursing Program, and then yes, the Pharmacy School. But from what I understood, they were looking to start very small and their first pharmacy class would be quite small - around 25 or so.

Reactions: 1 user
in 2006-2007 i applied to creighton, you know what their response letter said?

1)consider getting a masters degree
2) consider MORE experience in pharmacy (i was a tech since 1997! at age 18) more, really?
3) raise your PCAT score....i dont remember my exact score, but i was HIGHLY competitive and proud of it then.
on and on......worst rejection letter i ever got.....

They were said to be the BEST pharamcy school in the country at that point. I wonder if they would accept me now? lol maybe i need more experience.....I never forget how upset i was reading all that nonsense. I bet they have lowered their standards now huh? lol.

It is unclear if they were the best pharmacy program in Nebraska at that point.

They were touted to be the BEST in the COUNTRY....around 2006 or 2007. I had no idea when i applied. I think it was a Mormon school. They made me write 3 essays about the Mormon religion and why i should be a part of their school....blah blah. I get the shivers and feel disgusted just thinking about it....horrible people even involving religion in their academia program, especially at the entry point. They weren't the only ones of course. Palm beach Atlantic ran the same routine on me with Catholicism and wanted their 2-3 essays on unrelated junk.. What a bunch of crooks.

They were touted to be the BEST in the COUNTRY....around 2006 or 2007. I had no idea when i applied. I think it was a Mormon school. They made me write 3 essays about the Mormon religion and why i should be a part of their school....blah blah. I get the shivers and feel disgusted just thinking about it....horrible people even involving religion in their academia program, especially at the entry point. They weren't the only ones of course. Palm beach Atlantic ran the same routine on me with Catholicism and wanted their 2-3 essays on unrelated junk.. What a bunch of crooks.

Creighton is a Jesuit school, meaning Catholic, not Mormon.

Reactions: 1 user
Creighton is a Jesuit school, meaning Catholic, not Mormon.

Not Mormon as in : not The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (It was broadcasted this past weekend that the nickname “Mormon” shouldn’t be associated with the actual name of the church)

In case you get a million dollar question one day that’s the official declaration .

Last edited:

Eh... it was never the best school in the country, but whatever...

Reactions: 1 users
I was always told Albany College of Pharmacy was the best school in the country. Later in the real world all I ever heard about was their atrocious attrition and forcing students to repeat whole years and forced to pay another 30K... Good riddance I just went to the cheapest fully accredited school I could find.

Reactions: 1 users
I was always told Albany College of Pharmacy was the best school in the country. Later in the real world all I ever heard about was their atrocious attrition and forcing students to repeat whole years and forced to pay another 30K... Good riddance I just went to the cheapest fully accredited school I could find.

Nobody cares or even asks anymore where you went to school. Especially in retail. Thats definitely an indicator that they are not looking too hard into what you know or how good you are. Just a slab of cheaply paid meat with a license to hang on the wall. I guess my DM tries to be picky and choosy, but you never REALLY know how good a retail pharmacist will be until they are working with you for a bit. people can be deceiving.