One week to Peds or OMFS MATCH..any thoughts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jal77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Well, it's one week to Match date...

1. any thoughts??
2. anyone picked a non-match slot and forfeit match??
3. anyone applying more than once and really hopes this is THEIR year?

I am starting this thread to get into some discussions during the final week before match...:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone! Well, it's one week to Match date...

1. any thoughts??
2. anyone picked a non-match slot and forfeit match??
3. anyone applying more than once and really hopes this is THEIR year?

I am starting this thread to get into some discussions during the final week before match...:smuggrin:

Yeah this is my second time around for OMS. I am really nervous this time. Mostly cause last time I wasn't and thought it was a "sure" thing (from the false sense of security from my high stats). So this year I am hoping for the best and crossing every finger and toe! :xf::xf::xf:

Yeah this is my second time around for OMS. I am really nervous this time. Mostly cause last time I wasn't and thought it was a "sure" thing (from the false sense of security from my high stats). So this year I am hoping for the best and crossing every finger and toe! :xf::xf::xf:

More and more people I have spoke to have experienced what you did last year. You think you are a sure thing....then you don't get in and are knocked back down to earth. I know for pedo this has definately been the case over the last couple of years. As pediatric dental residences are becoming more and more competitive, applicants are realizing just how difficult it is to MATCH to a program.
On the other hand, when you do get that acceptance letter, it's makes you feel that much better for all the hard work you have put-forth.

Members don't see this ad :)

How many interviews did you go on last year compared to this year??:scared:

last year- 10. this year 15.

With only a few days left, it's stories like this that have me scared. I had 9 interviews, but feel like I was such an underdog getting them in the first place. If people with great stats don't pull it off, it shows how weird the match treats people.

I met someone with 8 interviews last year at impressive places, no luck. Met another girl with 12 interviews, zip.

I know everyone says the interview is all that matters, but I can't shake feeling like after the interview's over, they may go back to the numbers all the same. Interviews went well, but it's not over till it's over.

Good luck everyone, it's gonna be a long 5 days

With only a few days left, it's stories like this that have me scared. I had 9 interviews, but feel like I was such an underdog getting them in the first place. If people with great stats don't pull it off, it shows how weird the match treats people.

I met someone with 8 interviews last year at impressive places, no luck. Met another girl with 12 interviews, zip.

I know everyone says the interview is all that matters, but I can't shake feeling like after the interview's over, they may go back to the numbers all the same. Interviews went well, but it's not over till it's over.

Good luck everyone, it's gonna be a long 5 days

Same feeling here. I met candidates on the interview trail with great personalities and stats and multiple interviews last year that did not match. I had 10 interviews and I am in no way confident that I will match. I really don't want to hear another "Oh my gosh! You had so many interviews! For sure you're gonna match!" :)

I've been trying to mentally prepare myself :rolleyes: for Monday morning and for the next year in case I don't match. The truth is that I don't mind doing an internship. I just don't want to go through the interview process and the costs. Oh well.... everything is signed and sealed. We just have to wait for the computer to crunch the numbers and spit out the results. I've promised myself that no matter what happens I will be in a bar Monday night drinking.

Good luck to everyone!

Yeah its really odd how this match system works sometimes; I went on 12 interviews and this is my first time applying. Statistically what was said above pretty much tells you that programs don't rank everyone they interview. I agree with lionelhutz I don't mind putting in an extra year its the reapplication process that I dread. I actually think that an extra year at some of these programs which have 3 years of medical school would provide the ideal timing at least on paper.

Maybe its harder for those trying to match into 4 year programs. I've heard they are more competitive many times...

I agree with all you guys. The thought of having to redo the PASS application, wait on pins and needles for interviews to come out, and travel to the various programs makes me sick.

Speaking of statistics, does anyone know what the actual match stats are? I.e if you have, say, 10 interviews, what are your odds of matching? So many people in my class seem to think that if you have the "magic number" of interviews you're guaranteed to match - but this is obviously not true since I've heard of tons of people who had 8,9,10 interviews and didn't match.

Like Taco, I went to 12 interviews. What's keeping me sane now is the old addage "If you throw enough s--t at the wall, some of it is going to stick".

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
volsfan, despite the rumors your classmates are spreading, there are no statistical odds. It all depends on if a program puts you on their rank list, where on the rank list you end up, and where the people ahead of you on the rank list end up if you aren't in the top x number of candidates on their list (x = the number of residents starting the program next year). If a candidate goes on 8 interviews and none of the programs rank him, he's out of luck. If another candidate goes on 1 interview and is at the #1 spot on that program's match list, that candidate is getting a match despite having only one interview. Unfortunately, the number of interviews the applicant goes on doesn't give any indication of what match day will bring for the applicant. The only odds there are is that the more interviews you go on, the more chances you give yourself at being ranked on at least some match lists.

Just a quick question.
What do you guys do when you have to take a break between your residency and dental school? Do you work as an associate or at some corporate office?

A friend of mine was hoping for ortho residency and didn't match. I asked him the same question and he's doing a GPR and told me working in private practice doesn't help and in his opinion(and from what he's heard) would hurt his chances next time. FWIW.

Good luck everyone. Can't wait to find out who the next year's bee-oches will be. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine was hoping for ortho residency and didn't match. I asked him the same question and he's doing a GPR and told me working in private practice doesn't help and in his opinion(and from what he's heard) would hurt his chances next time. FWIW.

Not necessarily true. I worked in private practice the year I didn't match. It totally boosted my application the next year and I got into my #1. GPRs also help (especially if you want to get into a hospital based pedo program).

Not necessarily true. I worked in private practice the year I didn't match. It totally boosted my application the next year and I got into my #1. GPRs also help (especially if you want to get into a hospital based pedo program).

Admit it wodie.....ur good looks got you into your #1

Let's say you did a GPR but didn't get into pedo. Would it help for the next application cycle if you did another GPR ?

i would say just sit and relax ,watch a movie and have some faith.

:)best of luck to all who are witing for monday.

Pretty much less than 24hrs left. :xf: I'm starting to crap my pants :scared:

How much is too much Tylenol PM? I want to find that perfect balance of "not waking up until at least 7 am," and "Not dying of liver/kidney failure."

Good luck to everyone.

this feels worse than that one time when i had to wait for my std results.... I still don't know if I should stay up or fill up on sleeping pills tonight and sleep.

Just popped an ambien...waiting for it to kick in!

Four more hours by my clock until the next 4-6 years of our lives are decided...how did or is everyone sleeping? I am going to work out this morning to burn some time.

By the way, is there another thread somewhere where we can post our results? :confused:

I'm heading down to the sunny state of Florida for Pedo!! YAY!!!!! :)

good luck to everyone this morning

Tufts university
pedo !!!:)

Congrats to everybody who matched, and those who didn't, we'll be applying together next year. :oops: