One-year fellowship options before Hem/Onc

AmiSansNom

2+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2017
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Hello, as a prospective Hem/Onc applicant, I was wondering what fellowships are available in case I don't match into Hem/Onc in my first attempt. Since I'm an IMG on a J1, I'll only have the luxury of doing 1 extra year before doing Hem/Onc. I'm aware of some programs offering a 1-year Transfusion Medicine fellowship, but I'm not sure how many spots are available nation-wide. Are there other such 1-year fellowships that would help me support my application towards Hem/Onc? Also, how competitive are these fellowships? Thank you.

notcool

7+ Year Member
    Jan 29, 2014
      Hello, as a prospective Hem/Onc applicant, I was wondering what fellowships are available in case I don't match into Hem/Onc in my first attempt. Since I'm an IMG on a J1, I'll only have the luxury of doing 1 extra year before doing Hem/Onc. I'm aware of some programs offering a 1-year Transfusion Medicine fellowship, but I'm not sure how many spots are available nation-wide. Are there other such 1-year fellowships that would help me support my application towards Hem/Onc? Also, how competitive are these fellowships? Thank you.
      I'm not sure, maybe BMT?

Or maybe take a year "off" (or working PRN) and try to do research at a place with a hem/onc fellowship, especially if you can do research with faculty (especially PDs) who can help you, make calls for you, write good LOR's for you?

Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads

AmiSansNom

2+ Year Member
      Nov 16, 2017
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Thank you, I appreciate your replies.
        Also, what do you think about doing these 1-year fellowships vs doing a year of Chief Residency? Which do you think would be more valuable in supporting my application for a Hem/Onc fellowship?

CatFactorial

10+ Year Member
        Apr 21, 2011
        1. Fellow [Any Field]
          Thank you, I appreciate your replies.
          Also, what do you think about doing these 1-year fellowships vs doing a year of Chief Residency? Which do you think would be more valuable in supporting my application for a Hem/Onc fellowship?
          Better to be a chief. Chief is a good way to lock a fellowship spot (generally field of your choosing) at home institution

Reactions: 1 users

AmiSansNom

2+ Year Member
          Nov 16, 2017
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            To follow up my OP, how competitive are these 1-year fellowships for an IMG? I've seen that most programs typically have 1 or 2 spots at the most each year. And do most of the people who do these 1-year fellowships go on to match into HemeOnc? Thanks.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
            Staff member
            Administrator
            Volunteer Staff
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            Mar 6, 2005
            1. Attending Physician
              Good Morning everyone!
              Which option is better to get Hemonc fellowship? 1 year hemonc hospitalist in any program where they have hemonc fellowship VS 1 year non acgme fellowship in oncology related field?
              Oncology hospitalist FTW. That way, even if you don't match, you have a real job.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.