One-year fellowship options before Hem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AmiSansNom

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, as a prospective Hem/Onc applicant, I was wondering what fellowships are available in case I don't match into Hem/Onc in my first attempt. Since I'm an IMG on a J1, I'll only have the luxury of doing 1 extra year before doing Hem/Onc. I'm aware of some programs offering a 1-year Transfusion Medicine fellowship, but I'm not sure how many spots are available nation-wide. Are there other such 1-year fellowships that would help me support my application towards Hem/Onc? Also, how competitive are these fellowships? Thank you.
 
Hello, as a prospective Hem/Onc applicant, I was wondering what fellowships are available in case I don't match into Hem/Onc in my first attempt. Since I'm an IMG on a J1, I'll only have the luxury of doing 1 extra year before doing Hem/Onc. I'm aware of some programs offering a 1-year Transfusion Medicine fellowship, but I'm not sure how many spots are available nation-wide. Are there other such 1-year fellowships that would help me support my application towards Hem/Onc? Also, how competitive are these fellowships? Thank you.
I'm not sure, maybe BMT?

Or maybe take a year "off" (or working PRN) and try to do research at a place with a hem/onc fellowship, especially if you can do research with faculty (especially PDs) who can help you, make calls for you, write good LOR's for you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you, I appreciate your replies.
Also, what do you think about doing these 1-year fellowships vs doing a year of Chief Residency? Which do you think would be more valuable in supporting my application for a Hem/Onc fellowship?
 
Thank you, I appreciate your replies.
Also, what do you think about doing these 1-year fellowships vs doing a year of Chief Residency? Which do you think would be more valuable in supporting my application for a Hem/Onc fellowship?
Better to be a chief. Chief is a good way to lock a fellowship spot (generally field of your choosing) at home institution
 
To follow up my OP, how competitive are these 1-year fellowships for an IMG? I've seen that most programs typically have 1 or 2 spots at the most each year. And do most of the people who do these 1-year fellowships go on to match into HemeOnc? Thanks.
 
Where should i look for 1yr fellowships. Are they advertised at hem-onc department web page or have to email each department contact.
 
Good Morning everyone!
Which option is better to get Hemonc fellowship? 1 year hemonc hospitalist in any program where they have hemonc fellowship VS 1 year non acgme fellowship in oncology related field?