Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi SDN!

I am going to be applying for medical schools this upcoming June 2017( I am third year undergrad currently). I wanted to know if one year at a regional college for my sophomore year would be considered a bad sign? I did really bad my freshman year of college due to health issues etc and so I transferred to a regional college near my parents house. I went there for my sophomore year and my grades were mostly As. for my third year I am currently at the main campus of this new college and hoping for the upward trend to keep going. Thank you!

OP
C
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I am applying right now and went to one year of CC. However, my reason for attending CC was due to avoiding the NCAA 1-year penalty for student athletes that directly transfer from D1 to another D1 school, so I made sure to highlight this in my application. The most important thing is that all, or a strong majority, of your prereqs are taken at a 4 year school. It sounds like you had a serious personal challenge to overcome so you will have the opportunity to explain this to adcoms in your essays. The only thing you can do now is do the best you can at the best school you can get into.
Good luck on your application process! I did take most of my pre reqs at a four year university so hopefully I wiwll be fine. Thank you again!

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
A year or 2 of CC followed by work at a 4 year college, especially where you take the the majority of the your prereqs, is unlikely to have a significant impact on your application. If the rest of your application is competitive, it will be okay