online basic science vs. in person for repeating undergrad classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SesameStreetDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am repeating some undergrad classes to boost my GPA and can either do in person, at a local university, or online through University of New England. (http://www.une.edu/com/online/).

Does anyone know how adcoms feel about online courses for basic science? Will it affect my application in some weird, unspoken way?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Now a days a lot of these online courses aren't even listed on your transcript as being online. They appear on your transcript the same way a normal in person class is listed. So if your transcript doesn't indicate that you completed a course online, there really is no way for the adcoms to know. Your best bet is find out what the admissions folks over at the schools you wish to apply to think of you possibly taking a course online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as long as it isn't from the illustrious UnIvErSiTy of TeH PhEoNiX it probably doesn't matter.

You won't be able to apply to 90% of allopathic schools with those, so be warned. I would contact the Osteopathic schools you're interested in before doing it. Don't think that it not saying "online" is your ticket. How are you going to explain living in a different state as to where you were taking classes?

You won't be able to apply to 90% of allopathic schools with those, so be warned. I would contact the Osteopathic schools you're interested in before doing it. Don't think that it not saying "online" is your ticket. How are you going to explain living in a different state as to where you were taking classes?

I agree, and have checked out NE online also. I have no problem being nontraditional, and my undergrad degree was finished online. However I am taking ALL required premed courses butt-in-seat at a 4-year uni.
Also, take cost into account. NE online is $$$, and no less time commitment than taking them at the local college. I say the marginal advantage isn't all that.

ok, thanks for your responses. I only want to go osteopathic, not interested in allopathic. I didn't intend to "hide" the online courses, and will be upfront about it. I just hoped someone would know something through experience, about how adcoms feel about online courses.

the courses at UNE are cheaper and the schedule is quite easy for me to manage, but I think that, having been out of academics for a while, it is best for me to be "in person". If not for all of the classes, then definitely for the first one, to get me back into the swing of things. And they are classes I've taken before, I'm just repeating to boost my GPA.

I think a significant difference is that the classes at UNE are specific to medical applications. That could hurt me, by not replacing the grades I want to replace, or help me, by preparing me for matriculation into medical school. UNE is an osteopathic medical school, so I have to figure they're teaching to prep for *their* program. Something similar to DMU's "DOQ" program.

Thanks for your thoughts!!