Online course

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by l3abyt43, Jun 14, 2008.

1. l3abyt43

Pre-Pharmacy
    Would taking an online courses, i.e. macroecon, be a bad idea?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jaded03

Jaded03 Junior Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yes. If you are applying broadly, a few schools do not accept it, and that will just require you to take it as a lecture anyways. It's not worth the money.

4. AntiviralsRule

AntiviralsRule Student Pharmacist

Pharmacy Student
    Some schools, like USC, don't accept online courses, so be sure to check each school's requirements.

If the school doesn't specifically forbid it, an online course can be a good way to fulfill non-science prereqs (e.g., econ). But I wouldn't take a hard science online. My $0.02.

5. Mistysmoke

Pre-Pharmacy
    To date all the non-science classes I have taken have been online. I have done well with all of them. The school I plan to appy to accepts these online classes.

This summer I am taking the intro to chem and intro to bio (required for my current school) online... and I am struggling with these classes. I am not sure if it is because they are online or if it is because they are science. :oops:

6. OKgirl

Pre-Pharmacy
    I've been told to never take a math or science course online. If it's your only option then whatever, but if there is a lecture available then you should go for that.

I haven't taken macroenconomics, so I don't really have anything to say about that. I'd probably take it offline. Listening to lectures online kinda sucks. I've taken all my english and humanities online so far, and I like it. If you think that you might have difficulty with it then you shouldn't take it online if you have the option.

7. Onetreehill

Pharmacy Student
    As long as you have the discipline to do an online course, you should be fine. As for whether it's accepted, it depends on whether it shows up on your transcript. At the university I attend, an online course is treated like an oncampus course. As in, when you look on the transcript, it doesn't show up as taken online, so any schools looking at the transcript can't tell. But every school is different in the format of transcripts so look into that.

8. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    I love online classes- and I have never had a problem with a school accepting them!

9. OKgirl

Pre-Pharmacy
    collegegirl247, did you make that cupcake? I know this is off topic but it has really been bugging me because I absolutley love making cupcakes....

10. AntiviralsRule

AntiviralsRule Student Pharmacist

Pharmacy Student
    That's a great point. Online courses aren't for everyone -- they require a lot of discipline and self-motivation. I've taken macroecon and pre-calc online, and I had to get extensions in both courses because they took a back seat to the "real-world" courses I was taking at Cal State. Yet another thing to explain to the AdComs :oops: