Online courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDDSSS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just have a quick question. I was thinking of taking some online courses to increase my GPA, but I wonder if they are considered as legitimate courses to be calculated as BCP GPA...
Any advice would be great!!
Thanks a lot..

Members don't see this ad.

I have to take online anatomy and physiology for Midwestern down in Phoenix. The dean approved it, so that's all I could really tell you. Hope this helps. I am taking it through University of Phoenix online

It depends on the school and the way they record your transcript. Ask the registrar's office if they record online courses the same as others at your school...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine. As long as you receive the same credits as a normal lectured course. I took physics online and it counts the same as a normal one. If anything I feel online courses are in some cases more difficult! It seems like I had 3 times the amount of homework compared to the people in the lecture.
Good luck!

It depends on the school and the way they record your transcript. I took nutrition online but there is no way to tell that it was an online course from my transcript. Ask the registrar's office if they record online courses the same as others at your school...

Can you please expand on this?

At my school, regular courses are categorized under Term 1 and 2 and online courses under Term A and B.
Would it be noticeable to know that it's an online course?

Straight from ADEA: Distance learning/online courses are considered for credit and grades earned are computed into the AADSAS GPA.

This answers that they are legitimate for GPA calculation. The other part of your question is if they are used for BCP GPA. Does the course fall under a designation as a Physics, Chemistry, or Biology course? If it does, it will be calculated into your BCP GPA.

Hi,

I just have a quick question. I was thinking of taking some online courses to increase my GPA, but I wonder if they are considered as legitimate courses to be calculated as BCP GPA...
Any advice would be great!!
Thanks a lot..

Generally speaking, schools advice against online courses..... However truth there is behind this is unknown.

I'd contact the individual dental schools your interested in and see what they tell you.

Can you please expand on this?

At my school, regular courses are categorized under Term 1 and 2 and online courses under Term A and B.
Would it be noticeable to know that it's an online course?
Ask the registrar.

Last edited:
I have to take online anatomy and physiology for Midwestern down in Phoenix. The dean approved it, so that's all I could really tell you. Hope this helps. I am taking it through University of Phoenix online

I also need to take anatomy/physiology, but I thought Midwestern wants the lab component too. Did they waive the lab for you?

Last edited:
I don't know how online courses compare to traditional courses (or how they are noted on a transcript). But don't you have to indicate if it was online/distance learning when you enter your grades for your AADSAS application? If you do have to indicate this, then schools would know if it was online or traditional. I don't know if/how schools would view that though.

Thanks for replies everyone,

One more thing tho, I did 2 years research-based masters so when they calculate the overall/science GPA, do they separately look at Undergrad GPA and Graduate GPA or combine them to calculate the overall/science? Since my first two years of undergrad marks are horrible, I am afraid even with 4.0 GPA in graduate school, d-schools might look at undergrad marks more heavily (since it was research-based, i only had to take 3 courses for 2 years).
Any comments would be appreciated..

Thanks for replies everyone,

One more thing tho, I did 2 years research-based masters so when they calculate the overall/science GPA, do they separately look at Undergrad GPA and Graduate GPA or combine them to calculate the overall/science? Since my first two years of undergrad marks are horrible, I am afraid even with 4.0 GPA in graduate school, d-schools might look at undergrad marks more heavily (since it was research-based, i only had to take 3 courses for 2 years).
Any comments would be appreciated..

They combine them for an overall GPA. However, they do look at both separately as well (they do a graduate GPA and a undergraduate GPA). The BIG caveat here is that they calculate BCP GPA and science GPA with only your undergraduate courses unfortunately.

Where were you able to take physics online I have been trying to find a class