Online lecture and in-person lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittlePuppy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know how online prereqs are generally stigmatized, but how about a prereq that has lecture online and lab in-person? How is this viewed upon by adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically the same. Not quite as bad though. I know of a few schools who simply outright don't take online pre-reqs, so you'd be shooting yourself in the foot for those schools. Another school I know of allows up to 8 credits of prereqs to be online which is generally 2 classes with/without labs, but even if you did 3 classes with labs in person (just as an example), you'd already be at 9 credits, and thus that school also wouldn't look at you.

Is there something preventing you from taking the class in person, but doesn't inhibit you from going to lab in person?

Reactions: 1 user
Basically the same. Not quite as bad though. I know of a few schools who simply outright don't take online pre-reqs, so you'd be shooting yourself in the foot for those schools. Another school I know of allows up to 8 credits of prereqs to be online which is generally 2 classes with/without labs, but even if you did 3 classes with labs in person (just as an example), you'd already be at 9 credits, and thus that school also wouldn't look at you.

Is there something preventing you from taking the class in person, but doesn't inhibit you from going to lab in person?

I didn't really think it would even be considered online tbh. This was the only class available at my CC that I could take and work FT.

I guess my next question is, how will the ADCOM know that this is an online class? Say, if it was not indicated anywhere in the transcript, would this be alright?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really think it would even be considered online tbh. This was the only class available at my CC that I could take and work FT.

I guess my next question is, how will the ADCOM know that this is an online class? Say, if it was not indicated anywhere in the transcript, would this be alright?

Thank you so much!

Some course codes would be like BIOL-101OL (OL for OnLine) versus just BIOL-101 for instance, or BIOL-101L for Lab, and BIOL-101LOL or OLL for OnLine Lab. I took two online courses that were pre reqs and they had a similar designation. I also already had an acceptance and contacted them to specifically ask if it would be okay to take them online. Had I not already been accepted somewhere, I wouldn't have limited myself further.

Some schools may not differentiate with course codes, but I dont remember all of the application system, so I dont remember if you select if it was in person or online or not.

Some course codes would be like BIOL-101OL (OL for OnLine) versus just BIOL-101 for instance, or BIOL-101L for Lab, and BIOL-101LOL or OLL for OnLine Lab. I took two online courses that were pre reqs and they had a similar designation. I also already had an acceptance and contacted them to specifically ask if it would be okay to take them online. Had I not already been accepted somewhere, I wouldn't have limited myself further.

Some schools may not differentiate with course codes, but I dont remember all of the application system, so I dont remember if you select if it was in person or online or not.

Just checked my unofficial transcript, and it just has the BI -101 format for mine, so I hope that it does not necessarily count as an online course. I will call tomorrow my CC to ask them just in case. Thank you so much for your help!

If you did not actively go into a classroom for the lecture portion, then it is an online class, it doesn't matter if there is not a different designation on your transcript. Some schools specifically ask on applications if any classes were online. Some people have not mentioned online courses and got away with it, but any lying can result in withdrawal of an acceptance. It is usually possible to look compare transcripts with the course catalog to determine if a class was online, not saying all med schools will double check things, but they can.

Reactions: 1 users
If you did not actively go into a classroom for the lecture portion, then it is an online class, it doesn't matter if there is not a different designation on your transcript. Some schools specifically ask on applications if any classes were online. Some people have not mentioned online courses and got away with it, but any lying can result in withdrawal of an acceptance. It is usually possible to look compare transcripts with the course catalog to determine if a class was online, not saying all med schools will double check things, but they can.

Thank you for this. But what if for the one day of the week that we go to class for, 1 hour of it was designated for lecture. The remainder of the time was lab. Does this count? Sorry if it sounds like I’m trying to find a loophole or something, but I just want to make sure I know what I’m getting myself into. Anyhow, thank you so much!

Thank you for this. But what if for the one day of the week that we go to class for, 1 hour of it was designated for lecture. The remainder of the time was lab. Does this count? Sorry if it sounds like I’m trying to find a loophole or something, but I just want to make sure I know what I’m getting myself into. Anyhow, thank you so much!

No, that’s lab. Every lab I’ve ever had had a brief lecture at the beginning to go over a few specific relevant topics and the design and such.

You are taking the class online.

No, that’s lab. Every lab I’ve ever had had a brief lecture at the beginning to go over a few specific relevant topics and the design and such.

You are taking the class online.

Okay, thank you very much! :)

Contact the medial schools you plan to apply to and ask them if they accept online courses on a case by case manner.

Some pre meds, specifically non-grads, simply cannot take courses in person due to working full-time and having other responsibilities they must attend to. So online courses can be accepted on a case by case manner depending on the situation.

Now I will save you the time by saying that UCF and Miami (FL) both do not accept online prerequisite courses whatsoever. On the other hand USF, FSU, FIU, FAU do accept online prerequisite courses on a case by case manner.

So I know how online prereqs are generally stigmatized, but how about a prereq that has lecture online and lab in-person? How is this viewed upon by adcoms?

Please note that there is a growing trend in science education: the "flipped classroom". In this situation, students listen to recorded lectures online and then come to class to work on homework (in groups) and do labs. The flipped classroom style of teaching is not indicated on any transcript. A variation of the flipped classroom approach is called a "hybrid" or "blended" class in which the number of in-class hours is usually 50% or 20% of the total weekly contact hours. Hybrid courses may or may not be annotated as such on transcripts--depending on the institution.

Reactions: 1 users