online ochem

dutchie000

May 17, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    So I would like to retake ochem 1, but because I got a C at my university the new grade won't show up. It would just be a W. I can't take ochem at the local community college because I have a time conflict during the only time it's offered. The closest 4 year university is about a half hour away from me, and the class is offered at 8am with an 8am lab component. That would pretty much suck.

So I have 3 options:
    1) Take class at my university and not get grade replacement policy but get a refresher so I don't do terrible on 2nd semester ochem
    2) Wake up at 6am 4x a week
    3) Online ochem

So my question is does anyone know of an online ochem class? Would DO schools even accept that?

Total180

Mar 31, 2010
    AR
    1. Medical Student
      So I would like to retake ochem 1, but because I got a C at my university the new grade won't show up. It would just be a W. I can't take ochem at the local community college because I have a time conflict during the only time it's offered. The closest 4 year university is about a half hour away from me, and the class is offered at 8am with an 8am lab component. That would pretty much suck.

So I have 3 options:
      1) Take class at my university and not get grade replacement policy but get a refresher so I don't do terrible on 2nd semester ochem
      3) Online ochem

So my question is does anyone know of an online ochem class? Would DO schools even accept that?

Even if they did (which I'm not positive about one way or another) it would look extremely bad to do a retake of a class as "important" as Ochem online. Organic is usually regarded as a "weed out" class, and having done badly in it once doesn't look good, but doing a retake online would only cast more doubt on your abilities, even if you got an A. It would look like you couldn't handle it at the university level and tried to take the easy way out by taking an online class. I would suck it up and wake up early.

About the Ads

jsp132

Dec 17, 2010
      Pennsylvania
      1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
        Even if they did (which I'm not positive about one way or another) it would look extremely bad to do a retake of a class as "important" as Ochem online. Organic is usually regarded as a "weed out" class, and having done badly in it once doesn't look good, but doing a retake online would only cast more doubt on your abilities, even if you got an A. It would look like you couldn't handle it at the university level and tried to take the easy way out by taking an online class. I would suck it up and wake up early.

^ this just suck it up and wake up early

HipChick

Dec 30, 2011
        Michigan
        1. Pre-Medical

So I have 3 options:
          3) Online ochem

I can tell you that the 6am part isnt the sucky part, it is the sitting in class for five hours after that that blows. I have an 8am Orgo class m-r 8-1 and I live 1.5 hours away, and I have to get my kid up and to preschool... crap crap crap. Are you taking other courses?

why doesnt you school allow for a new grade? what does the "w" stand for (usually "w" stands for withdraw) some of my courses were grade replacements, but I still got a new grade. is there anything else you can take (biochem, genetics, etc).

drshark

Apr 26, 2012
          1. Medical Student
            I did the same thing, retook at CC b.c the first time around I wasn't serious and got a C. Definitely just make the drive and get through it! Sleep early and practice problems are the key!

dutchie000

May 17, 2012
            1. Pre-Medical
              Good call, of course online ochem would look like crap to med school.

I can tell you that the 6am part isnt the sucky part, it is the sitting in class for five hours after that that blows. I have an 8am Orgo class m-r 8-1 and I live 1.5 hours away, and I have to get my kid up and to preschool... crap crap crap. Are you taking other courses?

Yeah, I can do the whole getting up at 6 part. It's just the being able to focus in class part that I'm worried about. That sounds insane!.

why doesnt you school allow for a new grade? what does the "w" stand for (usually "w" stands for withdraw) some of my courses were grade replacements, but I still got a new grade. is there anything else you can take (biochem, genetics, etc).

I meant to say P! Which stands for pass. If you get a C- or lower, you can take the class for a new grade. It's odd though because my friend who is a bio major can average her two grades together. For my major, if you get a C, you can't retake for a new grade. It's incredibly annoying!

Last edited:

dxu

the great one
              15+ Year Member
              Mar 7, 2006
              Pittsburgh
              1. Pre-Medical
                I am one of the biggest supporters of distance learning courses if taken through reputable colleges and universities and not places like Univ. of Phoenix. I highly recommend courses through UNE who has online science courses offered through their School of Medicine. My opinion is if UNE, a fairly well established SOM, is offering these courses than they are most likely high quality. And in my experience, they are. And there are other highly regarded schools out there that offer some of these courses.

HOWEVER . . .

If you are retaking a science course, say O-Chem, and the first time you got a C or lower then I would highly recommend taking the course at a local CC, university, etc BEFORE I would go the distance learning route. If due to work or other reason you cannot take the course in the traditional delivery method at a brick and mortar school, then go ahead and take the course via distance learning but make sure you get no less than a B or B+.

Good luck!

dutchie000

May 17, 2012
                1. Pre-Medical
                  I *think* I may have just found another option at a different relatively close community college. Luckily that one would only be twice a week, and wouldn't require me to take the lab over again (I got a B the first time... maybe it wouldn't hurt to do it again anyway, we'll see). I wish I could take it during the summer but I've had a job lined up for a while, so fall semester seems to be the way to go.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.