This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolliePocket

Purdue c/o 2025
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked around and haven't specifically found the answer, but does anyone know if Cornell takes online classes as pre-reqs for vet school? I've reached out to admissions via email, but havent heard back yet.

Long story short: I'm a college drop out from years past with a current (sales) career that is not meeting my needs. So, Ive decided I'd like to pursue DVM, but I work more than full time hours and have other responsibilities that won't allow me to just drop everything and go back to undergrad. My plan is to continue my job during undergrad, then leave my job for vet school and possibly work the same job during summer.

My plan, for now, is do to all my pre-reqs at an online school (suny Empire state) and then apply at Cornell. I can't relocate for school, so Cornell is it for me and I need to make sure I do anything in my power to get in. I also plan on just doing just my pre-reqs and nothing excess, to keep debt lower (ie. I will not be obtaining a degree).

Any thoughts? General advice?

I've read quite a few threads about non-trad students but most seem to already have a bachelors. I'm a drop out with a few credits from AP classes in high school and my freshman year (2003). Any drop out's turn it all around?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I just wanted to check and make sure that you have actually done research and made sure this is the field for you before starting on the prereqs. Have you started shadowing at a veterinary office? And also if you haven’t already, please look up the debt and average income of a veterinarian to make sure you see what you’re getting into financially. The debt is terrifying, even more so for how much a veterinarian is paid.

I don’t personally know if Cornell accepts online courses, so I can’t help you there, but even if someone on here says that it’s allowed, I’d still wait for the official answer from Cornell because they are the ones who actually are going to be looking at your application. Some schools accept certain classes online but require certain upper level sciences to be taken in person at a 4 year institution, so I’d definitely still wait to see what Cornell says.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes of course I've done a ton of research, and while I have not shadowed yet, I'm certain this is the career path for me. If I could be happy doing anything else, I would do that, but there isn't anything else. I already know about the debt and income, in fact, the income is similar to what I currently make in sales, but some things do not fulfill the soul. I have many years in the work force and have held various different jobs. I worked in dental for 8 years, so I understand how healthcare in general works.

I know it's not all rainbows and unicorns. No job is. The debt is unimaginable and the income is not a lot for the breadth of what a veterinarian does, but it's what I need to do to feel like I've lived a fulfilling life.

Now, I need to figure out the steps to get there

Members don't see this ad :)
From Cornell's vet school website:

"Cornell prefers prerequisite science courses to be completed in real classroom setting.

A few Distance Education courses are acceptable although laboratories must be completed in a real laboratory, not a virtual laboratory or home lab kit. Since a Distance Education course may not have a real laboratory associated with it, our prerequisites that do not require a laboratory (Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry and English Composition or writing intensive courses) are good candidates for Distance Education.

If you have questions about completing prerequisites through Distance Education, please contact us at [email protected]"

Course Guidelines | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

definitely would recommend you first find some place to shadow before you start in on the prerequisites even if you've already decided this is the field for you.

Shadowing or some sort of real world experience in the veterinary field isn't just for your benefit to see if you truly want to join the field, but is also a requirement for most vet schools. Not something that is just fluff or non-essential.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh I plan to do a ton of shadowing. I wasn't indicating I thought it was nonessential. Just that I have not yet. I will shadow to both fulfill the requirement and ensure that the job is what I really want.

This has gotten a bit off course.

Thank you Britzen for the answer to my question. I've been looking on Cornell vet website all over and did not find the information.

Thank you Britzen for the answer to my question. I've been looking on Cornell vet website all over and did not find the information.

No worries - the info is buried pretty deep!

Oh I plan to do a ton of shadowing. I wasn't indicating I thought it was nonessential. Just that I have not yet. I will shadow to both fulfill the requirement and ensure that the job is what I really want.

This has gotten a bit off course.
Since you also asked for general advice, we're giving you some and suggesting that you look into shadowing before starting on the prereqs because if you for some reason decide being a veterinarian is not for you or isn't what you thought it would be, it's better to find that out before going back to school and spending tons of money on prereqs. You didn't say you had plans to start soon, in fact you said you were super busy with work that you didn't have tons of time to take classes in person, so I just wanted to make sure that you were going to make it a priority to gain some experience in the field before starting on classes.

Since you also asked for general advice, we're giving you some and suggesting that you look into shadowing before starting on the prereqs because if you for some reason decide being a veterinarian is not for you or isn't what you thought it would be, it's better to find that out before going back to school and spending tons of money on prereqs. You didn't say you had plans to start soon, in fact you said you were super busy with work that you didn't have tons of time to take classes in person, so I just wanted to make sure that you were going to make it a priority to gain some experience in the field before starting on classes.

I do appreciate the general advice, and I'll take it to heart and follow it. I do need to start soon, because the fact is: I'm not getting any younger and I'd like to be done paying for school before retirement time rolls around lol

I am going to look for a vet to shadow prior to enrolling for undergrad classes.

Thanks for the advice :)

You could be like @DVMDream and just die with your debt :laugh:

life hack.png

Reactions: 1 users