Online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarborough

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if completing pre-requisites by taking online courses is frowned upon by schools? I know the University of Iowa has a policy that states "All required prerequisite coursework must be completed as traditional classroom-based courses. Online courses are permitted only for general education electives."

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a thread covering some of the same ground seen in another recent thread. I don't know why schools would look down on online-only course work. :rolleyes:

I think the perception is that online courses tend to be easier. I've personally experienced a mixed bag of online courses. I had a government course that was fairly difficult due to multiple lengthy paper assignments, but I've also had an ethics course that required 10 minutes a week to get an A.

I agree, though Iowa is the only school which has such a requirement as far as I know. May I get a link to the said thread if possible?Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering if completing pre-requisites by taking online courses is frowned upon by schools? I know the University of Iowa has a policy that states "All required prerequisite coursework must be completed as traditional classroom-based courses. Online courses are permitted only for general education electives."

One of the adcoms from the COP here helped out substantially on this topic during a Q&A this semester at my undergrad school. He recommended ordering a copy of your transcript and checking to see if it says ANYTHING at all about a course being online vs. traditional. I did. It doesn't. I don't know if this is the case with every undergrad institution, but it is at at least three schools here. Obviously, if someone asks, you need to be honest, though.

The online courses I've taken have been CAKE. If I were an adcom, I would definitely place more weight on an A in trad vs. an A in online.... that is... IF I KNEW.:cool:

The online courses I have taken have been extremely difficult. I took Anatomy and Physiology I and II online. The software was absolutely amazing for the dissections and the lab portion was enjoyable. However, the exams were EXTREMELY difficult and always comprehensive. They were also in-person exams that took about 2 hours each. I had to read the entire book and do multiple essay questions after each unit. Some of the exam questions required knowledge of very specific details. I spent more time on those classes than in orgo. I got A's but I had to work hard for them and basically teach myself. However, reading that whole damn book and doing all the essay question paid off with a 98 in the bio section of the PCAT. I think it is ridiculous that the schools completely disregard any online courses. They can be a lot of work- especially when you have to teach yourself. I guess it depends on the school and layout of the class. I think adcoms should at least consider them.

One of the adcoms from the COP here helped out substantially on this topic during a Q&A this semester at my undergrad school. He recommended ordering a copy of your transcript and checking to see if it says ANYTHING at all about a course being online vs. traditional. I did. It doesn't. I don't know if this is the case with every undergrad institution, but it is at at least three schools here. Obviously, if someone asks, you need to be honest, though.

The online courses I've taken have been CAKE. If I were an adcom, I would definitely place more weight on an A in trad vs. an A in online.... that is... IF I KNEW.:cool:

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly ( I honestly don't remember that well ), regardless of whether it says it on the trascript or not, you have to indicate on pharmcas when you enter your coursework if the class has been taken online or not.

One of the schools I applied to had the same requirement, but I don't remember which one.

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly ( I honestly don't remember that well ), regardless of whether it says it on the trascript or not, you have to indicate on pharmcas when you enter your coursework if the class has been taken online or not.

One of the schools I applied to had the same requirement, but I don't remember which one.

I'm pretty sure it's the school you are at now because I remember checking out their admission requirements and seeing a statement like the one above.

On another note... you are right about PharmCAS... there is a tab that specifies if the course is "distance learning". It's in the same section where you state if the class was AP, Honors, etc.

UF specifically says they accept online classes for each pre-requisite. The website said the science courses depend, but the admissions office said that as along as the numbering is the same they will accept the science courses for sure as well. This might be a problem if the class is not from a Florida public school however. My university was private and did not have an online college so this wasn't an issue for me until I started taking classes post-bac. I think Mercer said something about accepting online coursework as well... but the labs must be taken in the traditional setting... apparently UF will accept the virtual labs. These are the only schools I know about because I'm applying there, but if you plan to apply to even one school that doesn't accept online courses you might want to retake them in person.

He's referring to my school, and my school doesn't use PharmCAS, so I dunno how they would deal with online courses if it didn't show up on a transcript.

I took some online pre-reqs in the sciences, and I feel that it helped me to better understand the concepts since their is some degree of teaching yourself, and having to stay dedicated to your course work. So I think schools should be more understanding of online courses...

The online courses I have taken have been extremely difficult. I took Anatomy and Physiology I and II online. The software was absolutely amazing for the dissections and the lab portion was enjoyable. However, the exams were EXTREMELY difficult and always comprehensive. They were also in-person exams that took about 2 hours each. I had to read the entire book and do multiple essay questions after each unit. Some of the exam questions required knowledge of very specific details. I spent more time on those classes than in orgo. I got A's but I had to work hard for them and basically teach myself. However, reading that whole damn book and doing all the essay question paid off with a 98 in the bio section of the PCAT. I think it is ridiculous that the schools completely disregard any online courses. They can be a lot of work- especially when you have to teach yourself. I guess it depends on the school and layout of the class. I think adcoms should at least consider them.

Just make an A and your good to go. If your going to that certain school that doesnt take online courses for prepharmacy then the obvious choice is to not take online courses. But always aim for A :).