Only using committee letter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by niv3k, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. niv3k

niv3k 2+ Year Member

Is there anything wrong with only using the committee letter? Schools that I am applying to don't require you to have more rec letters and I don't know if I can get any other letters beside the one from the committee. Thanks in advance.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dental2000

Dental2000 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I beleive most schools would like a committee letter. Some schools like MWU want a Committee letter along with one from a dentist.

4. niv3k

niv3k 2+ Year Member

The committee letter is more heavily weighed than a letter from a dentist right? I mean most of the time the dentist you shadowed or whatever barely had enough time to really get to know you compared to the number of teachers evaluating/interviewing you for a committee letter.

Is it a bad thing that I'm only turning in a committee letter?

5. 8th

8th 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would relax, if the schools you're applying to didn't require a dentist LOE, than you should be fine. However, I wouldn't say a committee letter is weighed more heavily than a letter from the shadowing dentist. You should have more than 100 hours shadowing a dentist or dentists. I got my 100 hours from the same general dentist and I have a feeling he was more passionate and wrote me the strongest LOE out of all my LOEs, granted I didn't take the committee letter route.

About the ads