Only using committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niv3k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with only using the committee letter? Schools that I am applying to don't require you to have more rec letters and I don't know if I can get any other letters beside the one from the committee. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I beleive most schools would like a committee letter. Some schools like MWU want a Committee letter along with one from a dentist.

The committee letter is more heavily weighed than a letter from a dentist right? I mean most of the time the dentist you shadowed or whatever barely had enough time to really get to know you compared to the number of teachers evaluating/interviewing you for a committee letter.

Is it a bad thing that I'm only turning in a committee letter?

I would relax, if the schools you're applying to didn't require a dentist LOE, than you should be fine. However, I wouldn't say a committee letter is weighed more heavily than a letter from the shadowing dentist. You should have more than 100 hours shadowing a dentist or dentists. I got my 100 hours from the same general dentist and I have a feeling he was more passionate and wrote me the strongest LOE out of all my LOEs, granted I didn't take the committee letter route.