OPAC-Osteopathic Physicians Active on Capitol Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macman

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted some info on this on another thread-but rather than individually email the details:

"OPAC's mission is to elect oteopathic friendly candidates to Congress"

I just attended the AOA House of Delegates in Chicago as well as attending one of four Council of Osteopathic Student Government President's meeting. COSGP attained 100% membership to the student chairmen's club-we all had our reasons, but as a group we wanted to make a statement that we care about the future of our profession.

Very few student's are aware of OPAC and in todays political climate, for better or worse, $ talks and allows for influence on capitol hill.

Contact Joanna Burton, Director of OPAC at

[email protected]

also please tell her that a COSGP member referred you, even if you don't join, so she knows that her great presentation to our group was not a waste of time, also it demonstrates to the AOA that COSGP is doing its job as a student leadership organization-if you want to know who represents your school at COSGP - right know it is most likely your student body pres and vice-pres...encourage them to do a OPAC presentation--and please e-mail Joanna

The student chairmen's club is only $52.00 for a year and it puts you ina pretty exclusive group-at the HOD I hung out with the pres of the AOA, etc. and met the Senator from Illinois, who addressed the Chairmen's Club in the AOA boardroom during our cocktail party--if you attend any AOA meeting this year-you will receive invites to such events--and also political events in your state

Thanks for your interest!!!!

Terrence McNamara
Student Body V-P DMU-OMC
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks macman,

I sent that person an email telling her all that stuff including joining....

Thanx again. :cool:

My question is what exactly does the OPAC do. About the only thing that I have heard of coming out of the AOA is some sort of marketing campaign that DO's are "separate but equal." If so, it hasn't been too effective since the vast majority of the public are unaware of the existence of osteopathy - or think it is some sort of inferior practice. Does OPAC attempt to address any of the major issues facing medicine today, such as who actually gets to practice (physicians or insurers)? Is it working with the allopathic organizations toward legislation that will benefit all physicians?

Members don't see this ad :)
Muonwhiz--the best person to answer your questions is Joanna Burton, please see above for her e-mail, etc. However, I can tell you a little info too: OPAC is not directly part of the AOA, or from what I understand it is and it isn't. I don't know how familiar you are with the lobbying process, but OPAC, legally speaking, is a polilical action commitee, or PAC. "PACs allow people with similar interests to pool their donations, in order to make larger campaign contributions to congressional candidates, on behalf of all contributing individuals."

Also:

"OPAC is not affiliated with a particular group or association, therefore anyone interested in furthering the legislative agenda of osteopathic medecine is encouraged to contribute."

It was NOT an altogether easy decision for me to contribute-I tend to favor liberal candidates and many candidates OPAC gives to are conservatives. A friend of mine in COSGP felt even more strongly for these same reasons---we both decided to join because it is easier to change a system from within, than stand at the periphery and whine. Also-a conservative student or doctor could make the same arguement as us b/c OPAC gives to Democrats. We can all make excuses-but in the end I decided to invest in my future now.

Porbably the biggest reponsibility for members of COSGP is dessiminating information that comes out of AOA meetings, and our own COSGP meetings. We represent the students, but the information we recieve is useless without your participation. Students need to make their presence known nationally and OPAC is a easy, relatively inexpensive, and very significant way to achieve that presence.

Terrence McNamara
COSGP V-P at DMU-OMC

I cant believe you guys are letting this thread die...this is the future of your profession-are we that apathetic? :eek:

Sorry, I tend to be a bit skeptical of joining organizations until I know much more about their agendas than are known through this thread. DO's are a tiny minority of physicians (less than 5% ?) and as such, I think we would be well served to join with the AMA (and other allopathic organizations) to work on issues of mutual interest and those that affect the future of health care. Perhaps I am misinformed, but I have not heard about too many examples of this cooperation.

macman.... I emailed that person and yet still I have yet to get a response... do you know what's up?