Open/ Closed- File Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I just assumed most pharmacy schools conducted open-file interviews. The committee has your file in front of them, they know your GPA, PCAT score, EC's, etc.

I was surprised to find out that some schools conduct "closed-file" interviews. You walk in with a clean slate!

What are your thoughts on this? It just seems like the application is pointless to fill out if they don't even read it.

Example EC: I bulls-eye squirrels in my spare time. Population control.

And the adcom would never knooooowww....

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason, I just assumed most pharmacy schools conducted open-file interviews. The committee has your file in front of them, they know your GPA, PCAT score, EC's, etc.

I was surprised to find out that some schools conduct "closed-file" interviews. You walk in with a clean slate!

What are your thoughts on this? It just seems like the application is pointless to fill out if they don't even read it.

IMO, a "clean slate" can be either good or bad. You are right that the interviewer will not know your grades, PCAT, etc. but they do write a report to the adcoms about you. If it is closed file, it would be good to mention the best parts of your aplication so that there is some consistency when they consider you overall. It will serve to highlight your accomplishments when they go back over your application. With that said, depending on what your app is like, it might be better to spend the time mentioning something that is NOT on your application so that they will include it in your report- maybe some additional strengths or examples of leadership.

I think it would be weird to appear one way on paper and a completely different way in an interview report. I am sure they reject people based on that.

I like the idea of a closed file interview. Some people have the grades and test scores, but no personality or people skills, and those are key qualities that make a person a great pharmacist. It is good for me because I'm the person who has decent grades/test scores, so I like closed file. I've had open file interviews for both that I have been on so far, but they never ask me about my grades or PCAT. They mostly ask me about my job and extracirriculars.

Members don't see this ad :)

I had 4 closed file interviews. I think this eliminates any bias during the interview. From what I understand a committee meets and use your interview and application separately to make a decision. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

One interviewer asked me to bring my resume. The questions during the interview were solely based off of my resume. She asked me questions according to what I had listed down so it made for a very comfortable and easy going conversation about what I have experienced.

I think they use the application to make sure you fit the criteria they are looking for prior to offering you an interview.

I've only had interviews at 2 different schools so far (UNC and St. John Fisher) and both were closed file and specifically tole me up front that they did not see my grades beforehand.

I prefer open-file. They already know how you look on paper. I think the point of an interview is that they want to assess your ability to communicate and observe your drive and personality in order to see if you're a good fit for the school. Regardless, adcom invited you for an interview because of your application. I feel that if the interviews know nothing about me, I have to talk so much more about basic information of myself and am not able to get down to the nitty gritty as much.

i had both open/closed interviews at my interview, the openfile interview was much longer, they've obviously read up on my essay and grades, so there were a few specific questions related to my app. the closed file one was short, some generic questions, "how do you study", "biggest accomplishments" etc etc,

honestly I prefer open, the people were very prepared