Operational medicine short courses

Started by Perrotfish
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not really a "short course" but if you're Navy, get yourself some TAD orders and come out to Quantico every spring to spend the Atlantic Fleet and All-Navy East rifle and pistol matches with us. No experience necessary, we'll loan you gear, give you ammo, and instruct/help as much or as little as you want. Free billeting, or you can pay for base lodging or a hotel if you want. If you're any good then come for interservice and nationals.

Worst case you just spent a week of paid vacation outside making noise.

The Medical Corps is a tad underrepresented so come on out. 🙂

perry1.jpg


hpr1.jpg

hpr2.jpg

hpr3.jpg

Oh man, that looks so fun. The closest thing I’ve gotten to do an actual shooting competition has been the surface line week stuff, and I only did it one year because they made us use the simulator. Lame.
 
Does anyone know if there is a stand alone land nav course out there? As in not attached to some other kind of basic training? I am doing more wilderness medicine stuff, and map reading is not a strong point of mine.

I will probably have to suck it up and pay for a nols short course, but I'm holding out hope there is something free.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if there is a stand alone land nav course out there? As in not attached to some other kind of basic training? I am doing more wilderness medicine stuff, and map reading is not a strong point of mine.

I will probably have to suck it up and pay for a nols short course, but I'm holding out hope there is something free.
Goruck teaches one, not free though
 
Does anyone know if there is a stand alone land nav course out there? As in not attached to some other kind of basic training? I am doing more wilderness medicine stuff, and map reading is not a strong point of mine.

I will probably have to suck it up and pay for a nols short course, but I'm holding out hope there is something free.

If you are near an AF base, a SERE can do it as an informal course. You will learn the material, but won't get a certificate if you need that. Every base should have a SERE specialist; look for the operations group.
 
Does anyone know if there is a stand alone land nav course out there? As in not attached to some other kind of basic training? I am doing more wilderness medicine stuff, and map reading is not a strong point of mine.

I will probably have to suck it up and pay for a nols short course, but I'm holding out hope there is something free.

REI
 
If you are close to a university with an ROTC program, and you have some time during the day probably once or twice a week, you could probably find out when they do their classroom land nav lectures and then when they do their field land nav exercises. I believe Army ROTC does this in their 2nd year. I know NROTC does more Navygation than land based stuff. Don't know what AFROTC does. Of course you're have to be the O3/O4(?) in a classroom full of cadets/mids, probably being taught by an O3/O4.

But you'll learn how to use standard issue protractor and compass and learn how to read military maps with grids and whatnot.
 
@Perrotfish, in 2013 the Army had tested a distance learning piece to the our version of ODS. I believe that there was a chapter in the study guide that covered the basics of land nav (map reading, protractor, compass, etc.). I can't be sure and even though I still have the disks, the Army in it's infinite wisdom, has issued computers without a CD drive so I can't be sure. I'm willing to send you a hard CD if you want, just PM me with a snail mail address to send it to.
 
@Perrotfish, in 2013 the Army had tested a distance learning piece to the our version of ODS. I believe that there was a chapter in the study guide that covered the basics of land nav (map reading, protractor, compass, etc.). I can't be sure and even though I still have the disks, the Army in it's infinite wisdom, has issued computers without a CD drive so I can't be sure. I'm willing to send you a hard CD if you want, just PM me with a snail mail address to send it to.
Bolc phase 1 for reserve comp in alms