Opinion Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wowww

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have acceptance for the class of 2015! However, I have had some very extreme personal matters come up this semester and have completely tanked the semester. With finals behind me, it looks like I am going to end up with 1 B, 2 Cs and a D. Upper level chem and bio courses and had to miss A LOT of class with what was going on. Just curious, if next semester I return back to my usual solid grades, what are the chances that my offer of admissions would be rescinded? I know this looks like I just slacked off after getting accepted, but that was not the case at all. I would really hate that this one bad semester would ruin 3 years of extremely hard work so far. Opinions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The B and Cs probably wouldn't cause any big issues, unless you were borderline on the GPA. What was the D in?

Physiology. Which looks terrible. I am nowhere near borderline on GPA. Just too much missed class time killed me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a good explanation, I wouldn't worry about it. If you couldn't get to class because you went to Mexico and got thrown in jail for being drunk and belligerent... good luck.

Also, you have to turn in your transcripts, but besides that... don't mention your bad grades unless you have to. That little piece of advice was actually given to me by a med school admissions director.

EDIT: ShyRem knows more than me, so... what she said.

Last edited:
Thanks! I appreciate that. I figured that if they don't see it until final transcripts, then they will also see how I will get back to normal next semester. Makes me able to breath a little easier.

BTW Mr. Dunphy, I freakin love that show.

I would read your acceptance letter very carefully. Some of them very clearly state "satisfactory completion of all remaining courses" which generally means C or better.

If in doubt, call your accepting med school and ask.

I would be very careful and make sure it's actually okay for you to take a D...

It's better to find out now if you have to re-take or whatever (or nothing) rather than a month before school starts when they withdraw you from your classes because you didn't meet their requirements.

Also, you have to turn in your transcripts, but besides that... don't mention your bad grades unless you have to. That little piece of advice was actually given to me by a med school admissions director.

Generally I'd agree with this, but if you are holding onto multiple acceptances I would call around to the places you were accepted and see what each says.
It would be a shame to drop all but one acceptance and that be the one school that would deny you admission.