Opinion on my ECs, weak or good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BWM95

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm hoping someone could give me some feedback on the ECs I have done up to this point. I have felt as if I had good ECs, but recently I've begun worrying I am missing some important stuff and wanted to know before its too late. I am planning on applying this next cycle in June, so if there are any recommendations or tips anyone has I would really appreciate it.

Medical Related Volunteering:
  • Approx. 150 hrs of volunteering in a hopsital - multiple wings of the hospital, wide variety of fields (Ortho wing, Cardiac wing etc.)
  • 40 hrs of volunteering in nursing home rehabilitation center - working with patients and physical/occupational therapists in patient rehabilitation.
  • 50 hrs of volunteering in optometrist office - giving eye exams, using some of the machines.
Non-Medical Related Volunteering:
  • Approx 100 hrs of volunteering at a food kitchen which serves dinners/provides clothing to underprivileged people in the city.
Shadowing:
  • 12 hrs with M.D. Pediatrician
  • 12 hrs with M.D. Ophthalmologist
  • 20 hrs with M.D. Vascular Surgeon
  • 20 hrs with D.O. Vascular Surgeon
  • 8 hrs with D.O. Radiologist
Employment:
  • Worked a summer as a Pharmacy Technician - filling prescriptions, dealing with insurance companies etc.
  • Worked at a camp ground the summer before Pharm Tech -I would run games and activities for the kids who were staying at the park, as well as maintaining the grounds at the park.
Research:
  • 1 research project through the SUNY STEM Passport Program (It was paid over the summer and pretty competitive)
  • Currently working on an Honors Thesis project funded by NYS through my college.
Awards and Recognitions (I dont know if this counts as ECs or not)
  • Deans List every semester
  • Multiple scholarships
  • Multiple awards through the Biology Department