Opinions about schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_JAAAA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from MI, and got accepted to MSUCOM and Bradenton (LECOM). I love them both. my first two choices. What sort of things should I weigh?
ranking?
being away from home?
long term boyfriend at home
want the beach

any experiences? I am running out of time

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick MSUCOM if I were you. On the basis of cost, and the school is more established. If you wanted to practice in MI, there are many residency options and attending MSUCOM would help getting them.

Dr_JAAAA said:
I am from MI, and got accepted to MSUCOM and Bradenton (LECOM). I love them both. my first two choices. What sort of things should I weigh?
ranking?
being away from home?
want the beach

Hey I am from MI and got accepted to both too! HAHAHA yeah it's a tough one. But I think I am going to the one that fits me best, as trite as that sounds. The one I will be most happiest at, and where I think I will be able to perfrom the best academically.

Members don't see this ad :)
you didnt give me much information....where did you chose and why? I am guess MSUCOM becuase its safe, established, and the logical choice

I'm not the most logical person..hehe...so No, I did not choose MSU. Bradenton it is, for now. I have put deposits at both schools though. Just incase I change my mind. But I did fall in love with PBL at Bradenton, in addition to the students, facilities, and faculty. I think PBL will be the right track for me. I am giving up a really good school with lots of in-state opportunities and residency perks. But this is where I stand for now.

Wow, your brave. My brain tells me to stay but everything else tells me to go. A big problem for me is how new it is, no class has gone through clinical years. I am having a tough time weighing whats most important to me. And I worry I wouldnt be good in PBL, it seems like a risk. I have a bad week ahead of me, plus exams.

There should be no question about which school you should choose.

If you have are still not sure.. then maybe you should be at LECOM.

My brain and I have an understanding: I ignore it, and it shuts the hell up. :smuggrin:

thanks for your comment stewy, i take your opinion extremely seriously

No seriously....

I don't think the clinicals will be a problem since I already know a lot of people who go to Erie and Bradenton. They have just said that it is difficult to organize, but that once that's set, it's fine. 90 % of MSU grads match in Michigan, something I am not sure I want to do. Also, since Erie is pretty established, I plan on rotating at "older" sites, like hospitals in PA, MI or NY, and not in FL. PBL is going to be a little progressive, but I figure so are the students attending the school. I really liked the kinds of people I met at Bradenton, and was rather bored by students at MSU. This might have just been that particular day, and that is why I might actually make trips out to the individual schools before making my final choice. I know how I learn and know that lecture has never helped me remember any thing. Reading and then discussing helps me retain information. I am a slow reader, and I think I need all the time in the world to go through all the info. MSU uses mostly notes, something that I don't like. I am a textbook sort of person. It allows me to go indepth to the crux of the topic and also get a general overview and a big picture. I also figure that no matter what school you go to, all the info will not be covered for the boards. Let's face it, profs have a tendency to cover topics of THEIR interest, or their research. Regardless there will be holes that I will have to fill using Board review books. What better place to do it then a place where I will already be using them. I also did not like the fact that a million undergrads can throw up on my door step. I have already had the big school experience and want a small school feel. Finally, I have lived in Michigan for many years, and then the Northeast. Florida is something different that I can explore, but not be tied down to, for longer then is bearable. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with more of what is going on in my wierd head. ;)

I live in MI, and actually go to MSU for undergrad. I got in to LECOM-FL, and though I am still waiting on MSUCOM, I don't think I'm going to go there. The PBL at LECOM sold me, and I think that's why I am going there, dispite the fact that I am going to be 1000 miles away from my Fiancee for 18 months... :(

daveyjwin said:
I live in MI, and actually go to MSU for undergrad. I got in to LECOM-FL, and though I am still waiting on MSUCOM, I don't think I'm going to go there. The PBL at LECOM sold me, and I think that's why I am going there, dispite the fact that I am going to be 1000 miles away from my Fiancee for 18 months... :(
18 months? You are one brave/loyal soul. Good luck.
Spouse? I can see 18 months hehe (don't tell my wife :cool: ), but fiance? that's a tough one.

jbone said:
Spouse? I can see 18 months hehe (don't tell my wife :cool: ), but fiance? that's a tough one.

Bradenton is just that great :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr_JAAAA said:
thanks for your comment stewy, i take your opinion extremely seriously

seriously, you are talking about the BEST DO school. Public and along side MD students. One of the few states to make DO the same level as their own MD graduates. The match list speaks for itself. Did you apply to Texas COM or OHIO State, or NJ. Those would be also excellent state schools.

jbone said:

That is true... spouse I can see 18months... but new fiance??? Hmmmmm

Yea Yea, I know I'm brave. We've been together for 5 years already, and engaged for 1, and long distance for 2. Granted, it's gonna suck, but I think we can do it!

docbill said:
seriously, you are talking about the BEST DO school. Public and along side MD students. One of the few states to make DO the same level as their own MD graduates. The match list speaks for itself. Did you apply to Texas COM or OHIO State, or NJ. Those would be also excellent state schools.

Have you visited Lecom-Bradenton or MSUCOM?

A lot of things look good on paper, and then when you see it in person, it's just not as great. Students are like that, and maybe that's why we have interiews. I guess that is also our way of making sure the school is what we expect.

I know people at top tier MD school who did so poorly on boards, that their only option is family med (nothing wrong with it, but they wanted to go into Cardiology before starting med school). Also know people at lower tier MD schools and even Lecom-Erie who have matched into radiology. Now whatever some one wants go into, it just shows that the school does not necessarily make the person. In the end, the student is the one learning, and having to memorize the info. So the student needs to go where they feel most comfortable. The way I like to look at it, the gluteous maximus is still the gluteous maximus at harvard med.

I personally went to a pretty good undergrad institution. But I don't think that was what got me my acceptance. It was my hard work, dedication, and initiative afterwords that got me there.

One more thing, just because it is taught along side MD students, doesn't mean that it is all of a sudden better then most DO schools. I do not think that DO teaching is sub par. Actually I would find it annoying being along side MD students because I know especially first and second year MD students will have a supiority complex, something I don't care to deal with. Plus close to 500 people jam packed into a lecture hall just doesn't seem appealing to me. That was freshmen orgo.

Dr_JAAAA said:
ranking?
being away from home?
want the beach

I wouldn't worry about rankings. Quality of life issues will do far more to determine your happiness in medical school than the school's ranking.

Being away from home, being away from a SO, are big things. The beach - you can always road trip over spring break.

MSUCOM has (I believe?) prosected cadavers. Having almost finished my anatomy class this sounds to me like a *huge* benefit vs. the traditional hack & slash, "hey, what the heck is this slimy thing?" routine.

Bradenton is also prosected. I have had some exposure to anatomy too, and I admit, that is a huge plus for me. But I know others prefer to disect. Personal choice I guess.

Well, I am an Ohio resident. I was accepted to OUCOM and MSUCOM and haven't heard from LECOM-E. I am turning down MSUCOM despite it's reputation due to cost and some of the things mentioned here, like large class sizes.

One thing to remember is that all US med schools will make you a doctor. All of them. So, it is best to decide where you'll be most happy. If you only go to MSUCOM because of the reputation but are miserable the whole time you'll be burned out before you even get to rotations. On the other hand, if you really love both places then you need to figure out you want the most. Research, proximity to friends and family, nice weather, cost of school, costs of living...etc.

You need to consider everything and decide what is most important to you.

I was accepted to LECOM-Bradenton and turned in my deposit. The people are very friendly and I hear the staff is dedicated to the students. Florida's weather can't be beat. It is also great for runners like myself. I will be going there unless I hear something from Nova, even then I may go to Bradenton. I'm pumped to get started!

i tell you what i think.

med school in bradenton florida makes me foam at the mouth.

their website rocks too. makes it look like a dream.

michigan? are you kidding me? :barf:

**snaps out of juvenilistic thinking mod**
that being said, i would go to msucom if you want a competitive residency... i think they have more residency options than any other DO school. i know lecom-e has some good ones too, though.

g/l