Opinions Needed..UHS vs. NSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollTide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my acceptance letter from UHS today and now have to make a choice between UHS and NSU. I would like to hear some opinions from current and future osteopathic medical students on the programs at these schools. Anyone have any concrete info on the new curriculum at UHS? Do UHS students feel like they get enough clinical exposure during the first two years? Although I had a wonderful time at both interviews, UHS seemed to be really proud of the number of students that choose to specialize and of those who choose an allopathic residency. This disturbed me a bit. Did anyone else see this at the interview, maybe it was just me? Does anyone think there is a difference in reputation when it comes to residency match time? It would seem that from the propaganda that UHS has a good number of alumni in important places. I would be interested in hearing any inside info on these schools from those who have interviewed or who are currently attending. Thank you in advance.

-Joshua

Members don't see this ad.

The new curriculum at UHS is a work in progress, with lots of input from the students. I feel that the new curriculum coordinator truly has the students best interests at heart and is trying to get the max student input possible.

UHS is not perfect, and I don't think that there is anyone out there that can say that everything is just wonderfull at their school. However, what always impressed me at UHS, from the very beginning is that the administration is working hard to make UHS a very strong med school. The school is doing some major networking with alumni and the community and, although some people think this is a waste of resources, it is my personal opinion that those who make such claims are extremely shortsighted.

UHS began in 1916. There are 2 other medical schools in Kansas City, both allopathic (UMKC and KU). Although Kansas City counts with lots of practicing DOs, when you tell people you are a med student they automatically asume you go to KU. Even natives of Kansas City often don't know where or what UHS is. The current admin is changing all that with lots of public involvement that, in the long run, will increase the oportunities for its graduates.

I don't get the impression that UHS is unduly proud of having many students who chose allopathic residencies, but the school is justifiably proud of its many students who have matched into very competitive residency programs. I have been impressed by some of our alumni guest lecturers who are now practicing at top medical centers around the country. I think that all these people walking this way ahead of me will enable me to have more choices in my career.

The changes in the curriculum we have seen so far are mostly a little less time spent in lecture, the extension of some courses to 6 test block instead of 5 and the combining of some courses together. The order of some courses was also changed to a more logical sequence.

The grading system and credit hours for each course was also changed, since the school is working to obtain accreditation from one of the higher education accrediting bodies(other than the AOA). I would not be surprised if in the future, after obtaining this accreditation, UHS sought to expand its curriculum by offering another degree, besides the DO (an MS in some of the basic sciences or something like that). Right now a DO/MBA is in the works with Rockhurst University.

Also in the works is an increase in the amount of research, clinical and basic science, with strong encouragement for student participation.

You will have plenty of oportunities for clinical exposure in the first two years. Much more than your schedule will be able to accomodate, so you will have to pick and choose carefully.

I don't want to give you the impression that UHS is the perfect osteopathic school. Everyone always finds plenty to complain about, although there isn't always an agreement on what. For instance, some students love the current changes in the Osteopathic Medicine Dept. and some hate it (I think the majority loves the changes, though). Half the class loves Professor A and the other half can't wait to get rid of him, and so on.

I don't think there is a DO school that is 100% objectively better than another. It all depends on what YOU are looking for in a school. The last two incoming classes at UHS had some high numbers overall and many complained that this made for a competitive atmosphere. The school has moved away from ranking students after each test block and I think this helped a lot. Additionally, for the first time we now have a tutoring system, sponsored by the school, so that students who are struggling can get help from classmates and upperclassmen. There is a lot of intramural sports and the school tries to get everyone involved in community projects, so that is cutting down a lot on the competitiveness. Personally I was looking for a school that was selective in its acceptances and yet didn't foster too much of a cut-throat atmosphere among the students. I was also looking for a place with a record of graduates placing into competitive residency programs, so UHS seemed a good fit for me. I am, overall, happy with my choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide and congrats on your acceptances!

I recall being a bit surprised myself at the degree of emphasis placed on the fact that a significant proportion of UHS's graduates go into allopathic residencies. But it's not a condemnation of osteopathic medicine; rather it's an indication that allopathic residency directors believe in it as a credible form of medical training. And since there will always be many more purely allopathic residencies than osteopathic-only programs, this is a welcome revelation. UHS would probably like it if you stayed in the osteopathic system but they recognize that in order to get the residency of your choice that you may have to hop over the fence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a very happy student at UHS. I truly feel like I am getting a first rate education.

I don't feel that UHS tries to brag about how many students get into MD residencies either, it unfortunately may have just been the person you talked to that day. The deal is that there isn't enough DO residencies for all the DO graduates, so many of us have to choose an MD residency instead. Look for more info on this on the bulletin board about residencies. Someone stated it very well, the reasons why many DO's are entering allopathic residencies.

As for the curriculum. Starting with the class of 2004, they are trying to go to a problem based system. Where you learn all the anatomy, physio, biochem, ect. that goes along with a certain medical problem. They plan on integrating cases as well. I know that many people are excited about the change, but that is up to you to decide if it is for you.

Hope this was helpful.

Rolltide,
I believe you would find UHS to be very challenging but rewarding. It is a great school and the education over the first 2 years is very complete. I do know a great deal about the new curriculum and I believe it to be a great addition to the university. It is not exactly problem based, but it is taught from a clinical sense. This is great because when you go to clinicals you will have studied the pathology, anatomy, pharmacology, physiology, medicine, etc. of a particular clinical situation. I believe this will help you better understand the problem at hand. The traditional method of teaching the first two years provides the student with the same information but at different times. The ability to put all the info together for a particular clinical situation (ie, myocardial infarction) is dependent upon the student. Furthermore, I do agree that the clinical opportunities at UHS in your first 2 years most likely are much greater than most medical schools. UHS is not perfect, but I do not believe you will find another school with the board pass rates and education along with the friendly atmosphere the UHS has. In regard with many of our student choosing specialties and allopathic residencies, I believe this shows that our students are well respected in both the osteopathic and allopathic community, and we have equal opportunity in all areas of medicine. You just have to check you options and go with what's best for you.