Opinions on chief year at outside program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr8sian

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied to GI this year and had some really good interviews but being a realist, I know there's always a chance I won't match. Recently I've had a few emails from programs offering PGY4 junior faculty/chief resident spots. In case I don't match, just wondering if picking up one of these positions will help me match in the next cycle? Or would it be more beneficial to get a hospitalist job at an academic institution and do research with the GI faculty?

For reference, if I don't match, it won't be because of lack of research in residency (10+ publications, 20+ presentations, 5+ active projects, multiple awards and grants. Just got screened out by most programs due to low Step1 and Step2 scores).

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you ever be a chief at a program you didn't train at? What a red flag that they cant get their own residents to be chief.

Just be junior faculty and don't get screwed out of another 150k

Reactions: 5 users
Why would you ever be a chief at a program you didn't train at? What a red flag that they cant get their own residents to be chief.

Many programs do not have a 4th year chief. it’s not a bad idea but your at financial loss and probably won’t gain much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Totally agree

An alternate take, have seen a few people do this, both US grads and IMGs successfully parlay this into a GI fellowship at great centers, so they are not weeding this out. The Chief year still attracts some programs, certainly more so than a hospitalist year. YMMV, but wouldn't rule it out. The financial loss and the work you will likely have to do are certainly worth looking at very critically to see if worth it for you. It could be a worthwhile investment if you are absolutely sure you want to do GI.

What about a hepatology/motility or some other bridge fellowship?