Opinions on next Fall semester course load.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChodeNode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been lurking for about the past month and participated in only one other thread. This is my first as a starter.

I'm a full-time software developer. Last year, I took two 14-credit semesters, but they were all 100-200 level classes. This semester I'm only taking 11 credits. My wife and I expect our first baby on Valentines (hurray!). I intend to take only 8 credits (2 sciences) for Spring 2011 to ensure I have enough wiggle room to adapt to our new addition.

I'm trying to figure out how I should attempt to attack my course load for Fall 2011. I've taken Physics and will have Gen-chem and Bio knocked out by the end of Spring 2011. I'm a Physiology major so I must take A&P to progress in my major. I have all my non-science pre-req's completed already. I'm going to take o-chem that same semester. I'm not sure if I should limit myself to those sciences or not. The elective I'm taking right now (300-level) is killing me with reading.

I'm worried that even with a best-case scenario for an elective (one that turns out to be easy) that the amount of brain-power needed to do well will be more than I have time for.

Thanks for any opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you plan to take ochem I and A&P I in the fall and one elective?

I'd actually be more concerned about the spring semester than the fall. By fall you will have a better sense of how your lives are going to change with a baby. (I don't have a baby so I'm not speaking from experience, just from what I've witnessed.) Working full-time and raising a newborn is a challenge for anybody. If your spouse is staying home, or you have full-time help, taking two classes this spring might be OK but I think it could also be overwhelming.

See how you handle the spring. If you do well, ochem, A&P I and an elective shouldn't be a problem (11 credits?). Ochem isn't as bad as people say, but the second half of the semester is more intellectually challenging. A&P I is all memorization. Find an elective that doesn't require a lot of busy work.

What an annoying post to read. Cut the **** and just tell us what you're thinking about taking in the Fall. Ridiculous.

Maybe if you post your hypothetical course load options people could give you advice (pardon me if you did and I missed it).