Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gynsurgeon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on Duke, UNC or UPenn?

Members don't see this ad.

gynsurgeon said:
Anyone have any opinions on Duke, UNC or UPenn?

Interviewed at Duke and was really impressed. It's a solid program with great surgical numbers and unbelieveable research experience. The program director Dr. Valea and the Chair are extremely supportive of their residents. The residents are all super friendly. The program just had a great vibe for me. Will rank them among my top 3 choices. :thumbup:

CANES2006 said:
Interviewed at Duke and was really impressed. It's a solid program with great surgical numbers and unbelieveable research experience. The program director Dr. Valea and the Chair are extremely supportive of their residents. The residents are all super friendly. The program just had a great vibe for me. Will rank them among my top 3 choices. :thumbup:

I was also impressed with surgical training at Duke -- and even more so with the Dr. Valea and the chair. The interns (who are really the ones affected by all the recent changes there) seemed very happy & together. The upper levels -- seemed a little more over worked & drained (maybe from their experience the previous years?) Duke has a lot of potential. Haven't decided how I will rank it yet.

but -- I didn't like the Fayettevile hospital rotation being 90 miles away or that 2/4 hospitals didn't have a night float system.

What do you think Canes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for the info on Duke. :)

Penn seemed very strong although the rumor along the interview trail is that it's "malignant" and the residents are spread thin, tired, and unhappy. Access to research, surgical experience, and fellowship opportunity all were excellent. don't cancel your interview.

One caveat to UPenn is its Pennsylvania location - the PA malpractice situation is dismal. Thomas Bader was quoted a couple of years ago as saying that the majority of OB/GYN grads from Hospital of University of Pennsylvania have at least one malpractice lawsuit pending against them when they graduate. PA's crisis makes staying in PA after graduation difficult to imagine, and prior or pending suits, even if frivolous, can be a problem when trying to get coverage in a different state.

(Please note, I'm not criticizing the program, just the location)

:rolleyes: Just interviewed with these two programs and they both were awesome. I am having a hard time deciding which I liked better.

I guess a con for UNC would be that they have a new chair, but everyone seemed to stress that he was not there to make any significant changes only to continue building a strong program. However, one interviewer did tell me that they were having a hard time coping with ever rising OB numbers and that the program was definitely OB heavy. Intern year is definitely OB with only 2 blocks going to Gyn/onc surgery...not sure if I like this as I think I would like some basic gyn exposure before gyn/onc. The residents also seemed to agree that they needed more basic gyn and also that they needed a SICU or MICU rotation intern year...I think they may be adding this in the future. There was also speak of adding an additional resident. The program director was definitely awesome and very supportive and seemed to get along very well with the residents.

In terms of DUKE, I agree with what others have said...really was an awesome day, the program director was THE MOST energetic yet and the residents were all awesome too. I really can't think of a con for this one other then perhaps the area if you are single. I think they are a little more even in terms of OB vs Gyn exposure then UNC. Actually a con too would be the block that is done 1.5 hrs a way..that would kind of stink driving wise..but it sounds like the residents really enjoy their time there and get a lot of time in the OR.

Any other insight on DUKE or UNC?

UNC is a great program. The new chair is not a drawback in my opinion. From what I saw, OB volume is managable at UNC itself, but the residents seem to feel more alone and overwhelmed at Wake. This is a big point. You spend a large percentage of your time at that hospital early on in the program. Also, as noted above, the first two years are very OB heavy. This delays but does not detract from the strong surgical training at UNC. The residents definitely make up for lost time in the OR during PGY3 and 4.